Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got sum QS about shifting, i keep breaking this "pin"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
First off i know why i am breaking "this pin" my shifter is not adjusted to stop so it over throws taking out the "pin" on hard shifts
so don't run me through the wringer for not having my shifter adjusted
....But.... back to "this pin"
(i will try to describe it from a vegetable merchandiser's perspective)
Under the tranny there is a plastic boot held on by farmer's bale tightener(sic)
inside this plastic boot is a 13mm set screw- which has a propensity to back out-
though not a fault of its own
Which holds a "cup"
the "cup" is designed to hold a "ball"
the ball is attached to the shaft
By the ....infamous....PIN
and it is the damn pin that keeps breaking
(it is truly my belief that the kraut that designed this shifter was not only smoking bc bud...but he was eating to many brownies to boot)
does any one have a solution, aside from the adjustment on shifter, for this pin
or should i just split for the beefy Jwest solution....
and in the interm make a cottered solid pin for the time being
......and....adjust my shifter
904svo
I'm guessing that the hole is oblong now! And the pin is loose, a temp fix
is to spot weld the arm to the transmission to take the pressure off the pin
but it can be removed by grinding off the welds.

This is what I done to my car.
Dave_Darling
Perhaps you are using a cheapie C-shaped pin, instead of the more beefy spiral wound pin? That was a problem with the bronze pedal bushing kits for a while...

Best to fix the attachment. Hope that the holes are still round.

--DD
Dr Evil
The 13mm bolt that keeps loosening up is a DAPO part. There should be a conical allen set screw there that has nylock in the threads. I agree about you probably using a C clip vs a spiral wound clip. Adjust your shifter, but you should not be breaking it. Pics are nice. Pic of the pin. You can run a solid bolt through there (red neck fix) so long as you dont block movement.
Katmanken
.....taking out the "pin" on hard shifts....... idea.gif

Are the "hard" shifts difficult (hard) to engage or are you slamming the shifter (hard)??????

Teener trannys aren't known as a transmission that you can slam through the gears, they are more known for requiring a bit of finesse as you shift...

That being said, I agree with Dave, the cheapie roll pins sold in hardware stores are crap and break too easy. I've designed products with the "real" roll pins and they used to be tough little mothers... thanks globalization!!!!

Remember a chain???? The weakest link (pin) breaks first- what's the next weakest link?

Oh, and buy that cone screw and a spare...
BMXerror
My solution:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...76333&st=75
I never broke a pin! But I did this mod to tighten up the linkage and lessen the fore and aft throw of the shifter... Worked good, BTW.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.