Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: The Black Cloud hanging over me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stepuptotheMike
Is it they say bad things run in 3's? Well I should be due at this point. Sorry for the vent, but this has been the shittiest week. This is the first week of vacation that I have taken all year as work has been just plain crazy.

So I spend the first couple of days at cubscout camp with my oldest boy. Decent time. Come home early because the wife injured her arm/shoulder and needed some help. So that's when the fun starts.

1. Her laptop pukes and dies. I've repaired the thing a couple of times before but this time the thing is completely gone. It was an Acer disposable laptop, so not totally unexpected. Replacement HP unit..... $700. Cha-Ching

2. Lighting storm comes through and takes out the DirecTV DVR in the family room. Lose all of my recorded shows. Go to BestBuy and buy another one ($100). Of course the communists at DirecTV peg you for another 2 year contract just to activate another stinking receiver. The $100 wasn't too hard to swallow, but the prinicple of the damn 2 year contract to turn on another receiver is rediculous. Especially since they are all "leased" now. I've been with DirecTV for at least 8 years now.

3. So I head out to the garage this morning to get started on a day of finishing projects on the teener. Throw the jack under it and start to lift.......... squish.... jack fluid all over the floor. headbang.gif WTF??? I'm on my 3rd F'ing jack. Granted the first one was an el cheapo sears jack that I had for a good number of years. The 2nd one was a cheapo Northern tool aluminum jack that puked after 6 months. So this third one I bought was a craftsman professional 4 ton heavy ass jack. I don't think the damn thing is a year old.

So now I've got no way to get the car in the air and back on jackstands (where every good teener feels at home). The major projects I need to finish are all underneath the car.

So What the hell am I supposed to buy that isn't going to piss all over my garage floor within 12 months?

ok..... rant over. I feel better.

Mike
Dr Evil
smile.gif Craftsman = lifetime warranty. Take it to Sears and get a free replacement thumb3d.gif

Things could always be worse. Take a deep breath and count your blessings. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 20 2009, 08:13 AM) *

smile.gif Craftsman = lifetime warranty. Take it to Sears and get a free replacement thumb3d.gif

Sort of. Sears modified that warranty years ago and now many of their tools are not lifetime warranty. For instance, that Crescent style adjustable wrench that is all metal is warrantied for life but if you were tempted into the one with the coated handle that feels so nice in your hand, it isn't. Only all metal tools. I doubt that jack is warrantied for life... sad.gif
stepuptotheMike
Yeah... I believe that the warranty on jacks are only 1 year now. I don't think this thing is more than a year old, but I'm chatting with them online now to see. I'm not overly hopeful on this one.
rjames
Craftsman tools are the only thing from Sears that is worth a damn, but they do stand behind their product. Recently I saw someone walk in with a wrench that looked like it had been sitting in salt water for a decade, all rusted and such, and they asked for a replacement. The clerk simply took another one off the shelf and swapped it out, no questions asked.
stepuptotheMike
Ha... so get this. I just called the store and had the guy look it up in their computer since the online people didn't have access. The jack has a 1 year warranty. They were able to find it in the system..... purchased exactly 364 days ago. So I need to get my arse up to the Sears and see what they can exchange it with. I might just get lucky on this one yet....... we'll see.

Mike
Dr Evil
Nice! Sux about the dropping of the lifetime warranty. 1yr on a jack is poo.
zymurgist
I just want to tell you... good luck. We're all counting on you.

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 20 2009, 08:31 AM) *

Craftsman tools are the only thing from Sears that is worth a damn, but they do stand behind their product. Recently I saw someone walk in with a wrench that looked like it had been sitting in salt water for a decade, all rusted and such, and they asked for a replacement. The clerk simply took another one off the shelf and swapped it out, no questions asked.

Exactly... If it is a metal Craftsmen tool it will be replaced but... I have had more complex things like gear wrenches that they refused to waranty because they did not have an equivelent part number. I do that on occasion too, I find some mangled screwdriver in the trunk of a junkyard 914 and later that afternoon, voila! I have a new screwdriver!!!

The Softer Side of Sears was the dumbest move they have ever done. It always bothers me that my local Sears makes me walk through all that fluff to get to the tools. But I have noticed lately with the economy as it is, just about everything in the fluff departments is at give-away prices.
Katmanken
That's 4 by my count - injured wife should probably be included....

Sorry for the crap all at once..

Life is like that...

At least most of it can be fixed by throwing money at it.

My old craftsman jack finally crapped out after 40 years. The global crap appears to be good for one year.

Sears does sell parts, if you can't get it exchanged, can you buy a seal kit? There isn't much else in a jack to go wrong....
stepuptotheMike
So just got back from the Sears. Jack replaced. 364 days out of a 365 day warranty.... the thing crapped out. On the bright side, better to crap out on day 364 than 366.

Off to the garage I go with my replacement Jack. At least now I'll have a thread to reference next year if this one craps out to. I won't have to call the store to see if it's still within the year biggrin.gif

Now let's go see what I can break on the car.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.