Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compression test results
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Car is 73 1.7 w/ stock FI
With plugs out, engine cold, throttle open all the way, fuel pump disabled, results are:
#1 100 psi
#2 105-110
#3 110
#4 115-120

I have checked all cylinders twice. Readings are approx same each time.
Don't know if it makes a difference on how many times the engine rolls over.
First time was 6. 2nd time was 4.
Not sure what readings would be on a new/rebuilt engine?
Are my results at least acceptable? Not looking to spend the money right now on a rebuild. Thanks in advance for the replies.
jaxdream
Did you check your valve / rocker arm settings?? Do the engine turnover with all plugs out , throttle at wide open ?? What type of compression gauge are you using ??
Just some thoughts.

Jaxdream
tat2dphreak
Capn or another engine guru will chime in here... but IIRC you need to get your engine warm before doing a test to get true results...

that said, if the results stay, then I think you are ok
EJP914
Thanks . Hopefully one the engine experts will respond.
Maybe I will put it back together and try it again after a small drive to get it warm.
Cap'n Krusty
Compression test are done HOT, whenever possible. On cars with a plenum intake system, you don't really have to hold the throttle open, either, but it's a good habit. The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
good, I'm not completely senile biggrin.gif I remember that when I had my 1.7 the numbers were decent(95+) but widely varying(highest was like 115)... but I did it cold... so I was told to do it warm/hot... the numbers tanked! none were good...
EJP914
My thanks to all. Will do it hot! Since I had so much apart I figured I would replace the injector seals since I had a set in a box. Found the fuel lines to injectors have some cracks and I am replacing. Why do simple, short jobs turn out to be all day affairs??? Must be a 914 curse???
tat2dphreak
it's a car thing... one thing ALWAYS leads to 3 more...

it's hard on people with ADD, like myself
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.