Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got data?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brp986s
Anybody know these things?
J P Stein
Some data off the top of my head, but not exactly what you want.
The scavenge side is un-regulated as far as pressure is concerned. A fella told me some years back that he rigged a pressure gauge on the scavenge side to check it. He got up to something over 160 psi, IIRC, on cold sart-up.

The pressure side moves something like 55 to 65 liters per minute depending on the pump. I get up to 10 bar on my pressure gauge for a couple seconds on cold start-up.....rpm is unknown but probably under 4K. The scavenge side is 1.6 tmes as capable volume wise.

I haven't a clue about cfm on the fan.
HTH.
brp986s
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 20 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Some data off the top of my head, but not exactly what you want.
The scavenge side is un-regulated as far as pressure is concerned. A fella told me some years back that he rigged a pressure gauge on the scavenge side to check it. He got up to something over 160 psi, IIRC, on cold sart-up.

The pressure side moves something like 55 to 65 liters per minute depending on the pump. I get up to 10 bar on my pressure gauge for a couple seconds on cold start-up.....rpm is unknown but probably under 4K. The scavenge side is 1.6 tmes as capable volume wise.

I haven't a clue about cfm on the fan.
HTH.

Holy crap - 160 psi? I would have guessed a lot less since it's a straight shot back into the tank, less the bypass valve at the oil filter. One odd thing I noticed, correct me if wrong on this, but the Porsche auxilary thermostat "shows" full pressure to the aux cooler even when closed (cold), it just doesn't allow flow until open. I just got some hoses crimped at napa - I hope they did that right! 160, sheesh.

The reason for asking is for auxilary oil cooler with electric fan
J P Stein
The car in question had an Aux cooler. Mocal thermostats do allow full pressure to pass toward the aux cooler, but not much volume. The Troutman cooler does also. I think, but less volume. I would assume the Porsche thermo dose the same thing as no movable seal is perfect. The Troutman thermo uses the element from the engine thermo.

Some pure speculation now:

Scavenged oil is high in air content. I am of the opinion that some air is present in the lines and aux cooler at shut down....a fair percentage, me thinks. This would leave voids as it separates out....but it's still trapped in there. These voids would need to be compressed before a small volume of leakage past the thermo would pressurize the aux cooler.

I mis plumbed my thermo years back and blew a Fulidyne cooler.....these are very good coolers and it was replaced for free. These folks stand behind their stuff. The safety bypass valve of the Troutman cooler saved my engine. It pays to buy good stuff....at least for idiots like me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.