Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taillight housings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
I am looking at two taillight housings. One has an opaque divider (I don't what it's actually called), the other has a translucent one. Are there supposed to be different versions of the internal pieces on the housings? Or has the plastic on the opaque one just become cloudy for some reason?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
All the ones I've seen look like the second pic. There may be two types, others I'm sure will chime in....
Pat Garvey
Have never seen the "blockout" version before. Maybe it was unique to a ceratin area of the world. Appears to be purposely designed, but I have no idea what for!?

Did this bucket come from a non-US car?
McMark
I remember something about a later taillight bucket that had a few differences, including a 'heat shield' to keep the bulbs from melting the bucket.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 20 2009, 05:48 PM) *

Have never seen the "blockout" version before. Maybe it was unique to a ceratin
Did this bucket come from a non-US car?

It's from a USA car as far as I know. I bought it from a guy on this board who was parting out his US car.
McMark
Here's the light on my 73 with the heat shield indicated.
orange914
i've seen 4 pre 73's now and they all were the first pic.

mike
914Sixer
One is Euro version. European light assembly does not have the small light bulb on the corner next to this frosted lens. The socket for bulb holder is there but no bulb is wired in the assembly. The US version (clear) was required so that no rear side marker light was required because it is built into the assembly. This way the light could be seen from the side.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 21 2009, 06:49 AM) *

One is Euro version. European light assembly does not have the small light bulb on the corner next to this frosted lens. The socket for bulb holder is there but no bulb is wired in the assembly. The US version (clear) was required so that no rear side marker light was required because it is built into the assembly. This way the light could be seen from the side.

Nice bit of 914 knowledge there! cheer.gif

If the Euro version blocked out the side of the lens, why does the lens wrap around there then? Different specs in the US?

PS - Did Garvey really say he had no idea? shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.