Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Syncro dog teeth removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kyhunting
How do you remove the syncro dog teeth from the gear???

Thanks

David
r_towle
There is a special tool.
If you dont want to spring for the tool, see if you can borrow it.

If not...they are pressed in and I have seen some people remove them starting with an old wood chisel between the dog teeth and the gear to start prying it up.

Rich
pcar916
And if you freeze the entire gear, then use a heat gun sparingly pointed only at the dog-teeth from the side, or gently with a propane torch with the smallest flame possible, it will separate a little easier. I have the proper tool and still use heat. Overkill maybe, but I like using temp differences to keep mating surface conditions as pristeen as possible.

Gears are hardened and I don't like to get them much over their operating temps (150 - 250 degrees) They'll take more than that without losing the temper (or case hardening) but why bother if it works between what you can get in a household freezer and boiling water, or judicious use with a heat gun, a torch or a hot-plate. An infrared thermometer is also very handy for making sure you aren't cooking it too much.

Pelican Parts has the tool, which is used for both installation and removal, but if you do this without that tool, wedge up on the ring from opposite sides at the same time.
Dr Evil
I have heard of the chisel method, but I have never done it. I always use the correct tools, but it is worth it for me to have them smile.gif

If you are not in a hurry, send the parts to me and I will swapt hem for you for the price of shipping smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.