Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhcb914
So I went to take the car for a drive a few days ago and it wouldn't start. This is the first time it's let me down since I owned it! Turns out I have no spark. I have power to the coil. I am running the Crane Cams optical system and it seems that it has failed and is no longer triggering the spark. Has anyone had problems with this system in the past?

What is the general consensus on electronic ignitions these days? I really liked the Crane Cams system but the company just recently closed its doors. The Pertronix system always made me nervous with the whole leaving the ignition on. I run carbs and sometimes the car stalls when it's cold and I have run inside. I don't want it frying my ignition.

r_towle
Points....

Rich
rhcb914
Hahah...wise ass. biggrin.gif

For those of us that don't want to still live in 1970 and dink around with adjusting points...what are my options?
r_towle
get a good mechanic to set your points for you...

Never get stranded.

Rich
Dave_Darling
Supposedly the "Pertronix 2" won't die if you leave the key on...

--DD
jt914-6
agree.gif
Reverse polarity and over current protected......
Katmanken
I vote for points.

Simple, easy to diagnose, low cost, and a spare set in the car prevents an expensive tow...

SLITS
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Jun 21 2009, 05:04 PM) *

So I went to take the car for a drive a few days ago and it wouldn't start. This is the first time it's let me down since I owned it! Turns out I have no spark. I have power to the coil. I am running the Crane Cams optical system and it seems that it has failed and is no longer triggering the spark. Has anyone had problems with this system in the past?

What is the general consensus on electronic ignitions these days? I really liked the Crane Cams system but the company just recently closed its doors. The Pertronix system always made me nervous with the whole leaving the ignition on. I run carbs and sometimes the car stalls when it's cold and I have run inside. I don't want it frying my ignition.

Two failures (Crane units) in many moons of using them. When they were Allison, the modultes lasted forever .... When Crane bought Allison, they may have made them pretty and added bling, but it is my belief they cheapened the product.

It will be the box that went bad ... you can get a new one from JEGS. Used to be about $90. Haven't looked lately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.