Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sporadic Fuel pump problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I've had some sporadic fuel delivery issues. My car has stalled and had trouble starting restarting. Today was the worst. It died. I pulled off to the side of the road and could not hear the fuel pump while turning the key. Tried a different fuse, nothing. Had a bud tow me home. Tried it a few hours later and it started right up.

Is my fuel pump failing? It would seem like if it failed that would be it. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Stock Djet.
gasman
My 76 had fuel pump issues....truned out to be the fuel pump ground wire that goes to a push on ground tab under the gas tank on the drivers side. Mine came loose and gave me intermittant pump problems. Use a test gauge and jiggle the ground wire to see if it's ok......
r_towle
And the dirty old relay.
Replace the fuel pump relay with a headlight relay...even better...but a new one.

Rich
cwpeden
How clean is your gas tank?

I had a similar problem and it was the screen on the gas tank suction screen.

check this post for pic: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...090&hl=tank
blitZ
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 21 2009, 09:52 PM) *

And the dirty old relay.
Replace the fuel pump relay with a headlight relay...even better...but a new one.

Rich

Where is the fuel pump relay, on the relay board?
jt914-6
Yes, that is where it is. There is a fuel pump fuse next to it also. Check the fuse for corrosion and contact as well as the relay......
blitZ
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 21 2009, 11:53 PM) *

Yes, that is where it is. There is a fuel pump fuse next to it also. Check the fuse for corrosion and contact as well as the relay......

Probably the only relay I haven't replaced. I think I'll try that first.

Thanks to all...
70Sixter
Have never looked at a 914 FI fuel pump, but my 911 pump demonstrated sporadic failures for no apparent reason.

I analyzed the problem after replacement and found the gasket between the electric side and the pumping side had a small leak.

The fuel would leak into the electrical side from the pump side and kill the connection. After draining for a few hours everything would appear to be fine.

I always was thankful that a spark did not ignite an explosion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.