Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 1.8, fuel pump issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow914
my fuel pump will work if it has power...but no power to it. I cleaned the connections. Which fuse controls this location? and are there additional fuses or relays in this connection. I also checked the ground under the drivers side dash...still no power.
Dave_Darling
The fuse is one of the two on the relay board. On a 1.8, the "dual relay" that hangs off of the battery tray is what controls the pump.

--DD
yellow914
Thanks Dave. I figured that was it connected to my issue. I was using a hammer to support the engine lid on that side and it slipped and smacked the relay....Murphy's Law!
yellow914
well that relay wasn't the issue?....weird worked one day and stopped the next?
Might be the relay board as mentioned on another thread with the same fuel pump issue...

Could I just bypass the process and wire up a fuel pump switch...?
Cap'n Krusty
We should probably stop right here and think about this. The fuel pump gets power from the relay below the battery, NOT on the relay panel, and (if I'm not mistaken) doesn't rely on any fuse in the fuse panel or on the relay board. The relay provides power to the pump ONLY when the flap in the air flow meter moves. In order for the flap to move, there MUST be NO vacuum leaks. If the oil cap gaskets (both of them) are gone or not in good condition, if there's any one of the several vacuum lines of differing sizes off, there goes the pump. If I were you, I'd carefully go over all the vacuum lines, connections, and seals before I went any farther. Oh, leaking valve cover gaskets have been known to cause a no start condition in L-jet cars. And those relays have been known to fail. They get corroded by battery acid, get full of water, or just fail.

The Cap'n
yellow914
Thank you Cap'n I'll start checking lines...I appreciate the help

r_towle
Take off large hose that connects the AFM to the throttle body.
Turn key to run position.
Stick finger in round open end if AFM and open the flap/door

You should hear the fuel pump run,
If not...its a fuel pump elec issue.
If it runs...you have other issues...like the Capn said.

Rich
craig3x
QUOTE(yellow914 @ Jun 21 2009, 10:52 PM) *

Thanks Dave. I figured that was it connected to my issue. I was using a hammer to support the engine lid on that side and it slipped and smacked the relay....Murphy's Law!

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.