Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: project stuka
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
paroxysm
just thought I'd better start a thread for a project that I've been working on for about 9 years.
had a car in 99 i had done up fine
IPB Image
but one day the passenger door would not open,and said hey how about an engine swap, bought a 2.2 six and then realized 125hp was not enough, so a v8 became my goal. Destiny had other plans.
IPB Image
The car I had built for my wife was finished off by an eager srt4 neon
IPB Image
I was the driver had my leg broken in 3 places, but I lived.
IPB Image
out came the motor
IPB Image
in came the new motor, a g60 lysholm
IPB Image
but where to put the intercooler?
IPB Image
might aswell go wide
IPB Image
mocking up stage. I replaced the bondo slante nose look with fiberglass fenders
IPB Image
now that 90% of the bodywork was done it was time to get the car to actually run, and just this last weekend I did get it running. The reason for calling it a stuka is the lysholm charger sounds like an air raid siren. I will post up a vid of it running when i get a chance.
plymouth37
Very cool project, I love the sound of an un-muffled lysholm, totally wicked. Keep up the good work!
Gint
A G-machine! I had a 90 Corrado. Loved it. One of my all time favorite cars in fact.

Was that one cut in the rear trunk wall the only cutting required?
paroxysm
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 22 2009, 06:21 AM) *

A G-machine! I had a 90 Corrado. Loved it. One of my all time favorite cars in fact.

Was that one cut in the rear trunk wall the only cutting required?

yes that was the only cut for now, later it will be a 16 valve g60 and then who knows what will need cutting.
rick 918-S
Great project!
So.Cal.914
Cool. smile.gif
johannes
can't wait to watch and listen to a video of this beast ! ...

Derek Seymour
popcorn[1].gif
tod914
Had yellow 90 as well. Loved that car. Put 140k on it and not one problem. That will be one fast 914 when your done.
paroxysm
Thanks for the all positive feedback. Another plus to this swap is that I will be ditching the 901 for a b5 passat tranny with boxster shift linkage.
ghuff
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Jun 22 2009, 09:15 PM) *

Thanks for the all positive feedback. Another plus to this swap is that I will be ditching the 901 for a b5 passat tranny with boxster shift linkage.

This is definitely awesome. I have a 1989 Syncro Golf 4 door, a 2001 1.8T GTi with a 3071R and my wife has an 01 Jetta.

We are a vag household.

lotus_65
i also owned a '91 g60. loved the howl... and how the power came on.
i wish i could supercharge my t-iv!
Gint
Since this thread got a bump, what are you using for a transaxle and/or adapter?
paroxysm
Right now its the 901 with an adapter from kennedy, but I've been gathering the parts to swap in a tranny from a b5 1.8t fwd passat or audi a4. Then use the shift linkage from the 2.5 boxster.

drove the car today and I'm waiting for new bushing to take out some of this slop. Right now it's a side shifter with hybrid tail shifter linkage all new bushings but the one the rod runs through.

Its at my brothers shop, but will be coming to my garage thursday. I hope the neighbors will tolerate the noise, Ive already been warned about not cutting my grass enough this should be some nice revenge. My wife is back from Toronto so I now will have use of the video camera, hope to make a vid real soon.
JazonJJordan
biggrin.gif Awesome project, love details and those photos when you can. Keep em' coming too! -jzn sawzall-smiley.gif
paroxysm
made a couple of vids on youtube but the upload process put a time delay with the sound and action. No idea how to do links so just copy and paste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdVz0GW2p7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHaawSSn0iw

the motor really does run smooth, and the videos work fine on my computer.
I guess I do know how to link. fixed sound by lowering the quality
paroxysm
fixed the videos by lowering the quality by quite a lot here's one more of it just backing up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjKRUgD1QxI

as you can see theres still a lot to be done before its really drivable. My brother was bottoming out on his dip in his driveway.
The wiring is being a pain since the previous owner hacked the wiring to make it work as a slant nose. Does anyone know if the front driving lights were run with white and brown wires? I have a 2 white wires 1 brown wire hack on the drivers side front trunk harness, and a single white, single brown on the passenger side harness, my guess is these were for the driving lights?
My driving lights were replaced with paint can tops held in with wood screws, that some how managed to have universal signals for a trailer lashed to the paint lids.
Gint
That's gonna be such a kick in the ass! I love it.
paroxysm
the car is now at home so I can finish up the wiring in my spare time. I've rebuilt the pedal cluster, then went through the linkage for the tranny and took out all the slop so now I can find all the gears. Now to wire fans, boost, air fuel, temp, driving lights, o2 sensor, and find out why I have no fuel gauge and no signals lights.(but my hazards work) also when putting in my new master cylinder, I didn't know to put the washers from the old one into the new one, so that has to be taken apart and redone/bled
IPB Image
IPB Image
my only problem is that I'm also trying to paint this before winter comes
IPB Image
ottox914
That is one crazy cool project. LOVE IT!!! Just plan on tucking it away till spring and paint it then- and spend the remaining summer getting it going. I think I speak for all of us when I say we're waiting to see and hear that beast rev thru all 5 gears. Stop teasing us with these little putt putts up and down the driveway.
roadster fan
wub.gif One of the coolest projects going right now!

Jim
rohar
I did a similar swap about 10 years ago. 1.8 8v with Audi 5000 internals and a turbo. I managed to fit it in there without cutting any sheet metal.

The company that supplied Turbonetics with silicone connectors is here in town. For $100 they cut me a custom elbow that fit perfectly on the throttle body. IIRC, I had to fab a custom water flange on that end of the head as well.

Ran it for a couple of years, then it found a horrible end (nobody was hurt).

I recently picked up another chassis, and I've still got the Kennedy adapter and radiator setup that I pulled from the wreck and I'm headed for an ABA turbo 16v next. I've scheduled the swap for this winter (brakes and suspension first). Again, it appears no sheet metal will have to be cut as I'm ditching the distributor. Again, it looks like the flange on that end of the head will have to be fabbed.

I've been shopping for an audi box as well, but I'll probably try and kill the 901 first wink.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Aug 1 2009, 05:56 PM) *

IPB Image

What size are the Cup Is? What spacers are you running?
paroxysm
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 26 2009, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(paroxysm @ Aug 1 2009, 05:56 PM) *

IPB Image

What size are the Cup Is? What spacers are you running?

The cups are 17 by 9 in the rear and 17 by 7.5 in the front no spacers, just said to the tire guy give me the same offset as a 72 911. I can check the offset tomorrow if you'd like.
more driveway shots!
IPB Image
IPB Image
paroxysm
The reason this hasn't changed much
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
is because I had to pour my heart into my wifes car first.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Sep 27 2009, 08:18 PM) *

The cups are 17 by 9 in the rear and 17 by 7.5 in the front no spacers, just said to the tire guy give me the same offset as a 72 911. I can check the offset tomorrow if you'd like.

I would like... no hurry. I'd like to know if your 5-lug is a 911 front end also. When I get back to my car, Cup Is are what I want on it... although 9s are a bit wide for even a 2270 Type IV.
paroxysm
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 27 2009, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(paroxysm @ Sep 27 2009, 08:18 PM) *

I would like... no hurry. I'd like to know if your 5-lug is a 911 front end also. When I get back to my car, Cup Is are what I want on it... although 9s are a bit wide for even a 2270 Type IV.

opps! I looked real quick and in the rear I did add a spacer from an 84 944, but the front there's no spacer, it's been so long that I forgot about the spacer.
championgt1
I dig the mustang! aktion035.gif
jpnovak
Great project. Could you post more pictures of the radiator install in the QP? I Have a suby swap in progress and was considering this location.
paroxysm
You know the story not much time or money, plus holidays and cold equals little progress. Had a friend stop by and wanted to compare cars so I complied.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
paroxysm
I did clean up the wiring more in the engine compartment, and I also have all the signals, headlights, and most of the instruments working.
My boost piping was always just exhaust pipe for mockup reasons will eventually get some nice stainless.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I think I might get flamed for some of this so flame suit on!

Here are some brake pics, on the rear you'll see what I believe are 911 m front calipers that I ground down to fit.

IPB Image
IPB Image

The fronts are my 4 piston big V's, they're off a Volvo 240 with 3 inch spacing.
IPB Image
I'll try to show how much pad is used/not used.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
paroxysm
Thought I'd update a bit, had the car running and driving, but then it quit on me, in the driveway while bleeding the coolant.(thats a g60 for you)
I found it was the old hall sending unit and decided it was time to start the 16 valve swap, because it has a new hall sending unit.
old motor
IPB Image
new motor
IPB Image
I'm going to cut and weld the intake manifold so it fits above the lysholm supercharger and will now keep all the boost piping on one side right near the intercooler
here i will need to build a throttle body spacer to keep the tb from hitting the intake
IPB Image
my motor will run on digi 1 still, and I had to get new injector cups to fit the 16v because it was cis motronic. I hate digi cups because there plastic junk and almost never come out. So I decided to try and cut down the cis cups and it worked, here it is with an old injector and the plastic cup and the left over cis piece.
IPB Image
I also have been collecting parts to throw in an audi 5 speed, but really want to buy the aftermarket single mass flywheel thats 12 pounds compared to using a junkyard stock 25 pounder dual mass. Still need a starter, hydrulic clutch master and what ever I'm doing for axles?
IPB Image
Here is the clutch fork from my 901 you can see it was rubbing on the pressure plate , is this from having adjusted wrong?
IPB Image
I hope not to use the 901 again, but will do it if I can get this 16v motor together fast enough. I will need to change the compression ratio in the 16v, and drop it a point and then do a test fitting in the car.
Mike Bellis
Cool Build!
silver74insocal
i was wondering what happened to this build...i read it years ago and researched doing an engine swap for at least a month straight!! beer.gif glad to see you are still fighting the good fight. Keep up the good work!! popcorn[1].gif
paroxysm
I have been lurking for a while now but just got my parts to complete the passat tranny swap. Over the summer I built my shifter linkage (rough) out of old crap I had laying around (vw mk3 linkage) and my boxster shift cables.
IPB Image
I also finally got my mustang home here the 914 and it meeting again for the first time in years
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
I had to cut a hole in the garage to fit the mustang under the new deck I built for my wife, and then get it under there, for winters coming.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
This last weekend I spent 5 hours under a passat grabbing my parts I've been waiting years, for while I built my motor. I've flashed up my 16v g60 but I think the fuel pumps dying because it screeches, and I have to prime the pump with a lot of ignition turns to have it only sputter and die on me. Sometimes I can keep it running for a few minutes but it will die if I hit the gas. When I first flashed it up it ran and I could even rev it, then it started to only run if I unplugged the coolant temp sensor. I'll try a new pump here after my new transmissions in.
Jon H.
Winters Coming? Your in the 'Whack, it only rains in the winter with the odd snowfall smile.gif biggrin.gif
Nice mustang!

Jon
paroxysm
Just wanted to update where I stand on this project.
One of my best friends who was building an all wheel drive syncro scirocco has finally given up on his car. He has MS really badly and can't drive standard anymore. He really wanted to see his motor run even if it was in a different car so I purchased it off of him.

I was fighting my motor in the 914 and was thinking my ecu was bad, so instead of finishing my motor I've now installed his.

The deal was i paid him $1200 and had to carefully take out his motor, and I would get everything to make it run.
IPB Image

Heres a horrible shot of both motors.
IPB Image
The new motor is an AWW 1.8t with a gt28rs big turbo and all the programing.
IPB Image
All the junk I don't need.
IPB Image
Me working out the piping placement.
IPB Image
Piping done.
IPB Image
Stupid old ecu was causing me to have injector grounding issues.
IPB Image
The six or so wires that make this puppy run.
IPB Image
The test firing stage, and it runs! All done in about 2 months.
IPB Image
So now I have a ton of clean up to do, just had it run last weekend. I will fill it with coolant and redo my hydraulic clutch line, build an exhaust then do a test run.
I also have a electronic boost controller for it that I might pipe in. I will also need to tune it, right now its set for 15psi. The motor only has 5000km on it and the turbo was brand new never ran.
The first person to hear it run was my friend whom I'd purchased it off of, he was filled with mixed emotions, but was happy to finally see it run.
The old motor I will keep and probably put into a mk2 golf/jetta or corrado again.
Cairo94507
Man what a project. Very impressive and I can't wait to see a video of it running and driving. It should be a beast.
Andyrew
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Jan 3 2016, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 2 2016, 08:51 PM) *

Awesome!

Do you have an active build thread on here? If not you should really make one, your build looks interesting! I think you have your engine about 2" forward of mine, do you have any cv issues and what cvs are you using?

What turbo are you using and what turbo is your stage 3 file for? I ran my turbo on my apr stage 3 file(made for a gr28rs) and didnt have any issues at 10psi but I was getting stuttering above that. You can get it tuned by some online tuners that give you a base tune and then fine tune it from logs you run.

The turbo is a gt28rs, my program is revo stage 3 for the turbo. My motor is an AWW 2001 with only 7000 kilometers on it, I paid $1200 for it.
The motor came with a electronic boost controller(not hooked up yet), walboro fuel pump, wideband O2 sensor, genesis 500cc fuel injectors, all new never used.
Now for the CV passenger side is a stock 911 with a empty CV case from a passat B5 used as a spacer, drivers side is a bmw 540i that was the correct length. Don't know how long they last but I had to go cheap for now and that setup only cost $10.
Only problem I've been experiencing is sometimes the car refuses to shut off, place the key in the off position car tries to shut down but then it revs up and continues running, also if I put the car in reverse with the ignition off the backup lights are on.

Great build! Youve gone through quite a bit of motors!

One issue I see very glaringly is your intercooler setup, you dont have any air going through that intercooler and that is a small intercooler for that size turbo.
I would suggest a water to air intercooler or at least adding some ducting, some water injection and maybe an intercooler sprayer.

I think most of your issues could be wiring related, how much of the AWW wiring harness are you using?

I think its really cool you got an off the shelf axle solution

How much boost have you run so far? I love the GT28RS turbo on this motor, properly tuned its super responsive and gives a great amount of power.
paroxysm
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 3 2016, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(paroxysm @ Jan 3 2016, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 2 2016, 08:51 PM) *

Awesome!

Do you have an active build thread on here? If not you should really make one, your build looks interesting! I think you have your engine about 2" forward of mine, do you have any cv issues and what cvs are you using?

What turbo are you using and what turbo is your stage 3 file for? I ran my turbo on my apr stage 3 file(made for a gr28rs) and didnt have any issues at 10psi but I was getting stuttering above that. You can get it tuned by some online tuners that give you a base tune and then fine tune it from logs you run.

The turbo is a gt28rs, my program is revo stage 3 for the turbo. My motor is an AWW 2001 with only 7000 kilometers on it, I paid $1200 for it.
The motor came with a electronic boost controller(not hooked up yet), walboro fuel pump, wideband O2 sensor, genesis 500cc fuel injectors, all new never used.
Now for the CV passenger side is a stock 911 with a empty CV case from a passat B5 used as a spacer, drivers side is a bmw 540i that was the correct length. Don't know how long they last but I had to go cheap for now and that setup only cost $10.
Only problem I've been experiencing is sometimes the car refuses to shut off, place the key in the off position car tries to shut down but then it revs up and continues running, also if I put the car in reverse with the ignition off the backup lights are on.

Great build! Youve gone through quite a bit of motors!

One issue I see very glaringly is your intercooler setup, you dont have any air going through that intercooler and that is a small intercooler for that size turbo.
I would suggest a water to air intercooler or at least adding some ducting, some water injection and maybe an intercooler sprayer.

I think most of your issues could be wiring related, how much of the AWW wiring harness are you using?

I think its really cool you got an off the shelf axle solution

How much boost have you run so far? I love the GT28RS turbo on this motor, properly tuned its super responsive and gives a great amount of power.

Thanks for the compliments.
The intercooler does have a huge MR2 vent cut through the side of the car and into the engine bay supplying it with fresh air as long as I'm moving. I was thinking of getting one of those fat side mount intercoolers that replace a the stock unit. I also have a small fan that I can wire up behind the intercooler to draw in more air when sitting in traffic. I'll watch the intake temps and decide what will be my ultimate solution.

My motor came from a friends syncro car who was paranoid he'd break his awd and had the tune programed to max boost to 15psi.

The engine was wired into a scirocco by a local shop, I removed the engine and wiring myself and, dissected 90% of the spliced AWW/scirocco harness, just didn't rewire all fuel injectors and fuel pump relay. I should have checked out all of it further, but I'll eventually get to it. My ignition switch is also a little buggered and has been gutted so there could be a couple culprits.

I will throw this thing on the road this year if I can get a couple of other problems figured out like no brake lights, some water leaks from various fittings, and rebleed the clutch.
paroxysm
I thought I update my little progress that has been done to this car.
During winter I decided to ditch the 916 front bumper and go back to the stock bumper. Working on it under the deck is a pain in the ass.
IPB Image
I drove it out from under the deck.
IPB Image
I removed the old intercooler and have started my water to air conversion, but i could only find one spot to put it in.
IPB Image
Which meant I had to redo most of my boost pipes.
IPB Image
So now I had to find something else that needs cold air, and found a 3 inch cold air intake by chance at the local wrecker for $9 that i chopped down to size, I will paint it later I'm not a fan of the blue.
IPB Image
IPB Image
But now I needed somewhere to put the heat exchanger. I mounted it up front without looking first, and found no more room for the additional water lines. So I settled on the other extreme the rear of the car.
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
You're going to love the 1.8t. Ask me how I know... biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Good progress!

This is where I put my intercooler.

IPB Image
paroxysm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScjKyHWGZ60

Sorry for the swearing in this video. I was hard on my sons first attempt at filming, he's only 10 and has always told me he doesn't swear!

I'm thinking of just insuring my car and driving it in its current state, I've been waiting for my brother to finish his 66 Chevy truck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.