Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whirring noise?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
This is the first 914 I have owned so I am not used to the what the normal running sounds are. This could be a stupid question. I get a high pitched whirring noise from I believe the transaxle. Is this normal? It almost sounds like a gear drive in a V8. It is a tailshift in a 71 if that helps. Any Ideas? confused24.gif blink.gif
Dr Evil
A noticeable whirring noise is usually the sign of badness. Here is how to diagnose:

- If the whir is dependent on the engine RPM (engine speeds up whir increases in pitch and or volume) then it is most likely the input bearing in your intermediate plate - very common

- If the whir does not increase with the engine RPM but rather with the wheel RPM (clutch in and the whir stays the same pitch while cruising) then the pinion shaft bearing in the intermediate plate, or the diff carrier bearings are toast.

#1 - Do you have oil in your gear box?
raw1298
I will check on the oil level. I know that there is some in it, but there is a slow drip so it could be low
raw1298
Okay, I checked the oil level and it is about three quarters of an inch low from the filler hole. confused24.gif Is this within specs?
SLITS
No, the level should be even with the bottom of the filler hole.
raw1298
What weight of oil do I use?
yeahmag
75W-90 Gear Oil is pretty easy to find and will work. Don't get synthetic. Just use the standard, cheap dino oil from the auto parts store.
raw1298
Thanks, I hope that is the problem. Off to auto parts store........ At least this is something I will be able to find!!! lol-2.gif
CliffBraun
I've had this problem in two forms, one in a wheel speed dependent whirr on accel in 2nd and 3rd, and once because my tranny didn't have oil in it. I still have the "bearing taking a shit" whirr going on, not sure what I'm gonna do about it.

On the oil note, I like the swepco stuff, but havn't used anything else, it's just what the people I know with experience use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.