Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift in a '71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
So how hard is it to put a side shift in a 1971 car(tail shifter). Dr. Evil's thread for the Atlanta rebuild clinic) got me thinking about transmissions and my prolonged projects possibilities. My transmission is probably due for a rebuild anyway and I figured if a switch is easy now is the time.

I will have to do some work on the lower firewall due to rust anyway so if the process gets easier or harder as a result I am curious.

I guess I am really asking what is involved in making the switch. Or is the switch even worth it.
SLITS
1.) '73 up engine mount bar
2.) '73 up engine mount bar mounts ( ends, flat plate)
3.) '73 up engine mounts (the steel thingys that bolt to the engine)
4.) '73 up engine mounts (the rubber thingys)
5.) '73 up shifting assembly .... shifter, front & rear rods
6.) '73 up Sideshifter tranny
7.) Conversion bushing for firewall
Zundfolge
It is also possible to convert the earlier tail shifter transaxle to side shift ... the previous owner of my 1970 did that conversion.

Not sure how its done, but I'm sure someone here can explain it.

And having driven both tail and side shift cars, yes its worth it ... a WORLD of difference between the two.
Dr Evil
Converting a tail to side is easy. For the gear box you will need:
- Internal shift rods and forks
- Side shift console
- Tail cone (not a must, but it looks stupid with the tail shift cone still attached)

All the parts are usually readily available.
SLITS
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 22 2009, 10:59 AM) *

It is also possible to convert the earlier tail shifter transaxle to side shift ... the previous owner of my 1970 did that conversion.

Not sure how its done, but I'm sure someone here can explain it.

And having driven both tail and side shift cars, yes its worth it ... a WORLD of difference between the two.

1.) Side shifter tail cone (or weld the the shifter hole on the tail shifter)
2.) Side shifter side console
3.) Side shifter shift rods & forks
4.) Some one to pull the gear stack, remove tail shift stuff and install side shift stuff shown above.

Sorry Mike .... I type slow.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 22 2009, 12:55 PM) *

1.) '73 up engine mount bar
2.) '73 up engine mount bar mounts ( ends, flat plate)
3.) '73 up engine mounts (the steel thingys that bolt to the engine)
4.) '73 up engine mounts (the rubber thingys)
5.) '73 up shifting assembly .... shifter, front & rear rods
6.) '73 up Sideshifter tranny
7.) Conversion bushing for firewall

agree.gif exactly what I did...
rhodyguy
ron's list + the warm air guide off of the driver's side for a 73-74. this is the piece of tin that connects to the heat exchangers and the bottom of the engine case. the tail shift version is the wrong application as is the 75-76. just buy the super bushing kit that contains the correct firewall conversion bushing. cheaper than byuing them seperate.
xsurfer
What is required for a 71 six cylinder to change to a side shifter.

Thanks

Gene
Dr Evil
Same things less the engine bar and tin.
GeorgeRud
I converted my '70 -6 to a side shifter, and it's probably the nicest shifting 914 I've ever owned. The original transmission shift linkage was not too bad, but a nicely done and newly rebushed sideshifting transmission is great!

BTW, it doesn't require any changes that cannot be converted back to the original stock configuration for the Concours Weenies!
obscurity
How much should one expect to pay for a used side shifter
Dr Evil
No more than $200 depending on condition. If they can prove it was rebuilt then it will be more of course.
Project 6
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jun 23 2009, 11:17 AM) *

How much should one expect to pay for a used side shifter

I have one....right now it's been cleaned and ready to seal up....it's a low mileage unit that sat for many years. Make an offer, plus $100 shipping will get it you via Greyhound.

I can finish it up with a gasket kit, seal it and do all the other stuff, or you can finish it yourself....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.