Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxter 7's & 6's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsrfr
OK, got a set of Boxter 7's rear and 6's front. The 7's won't fit my unflared rear because the offset plus the width is too great. (The 7's have 40mm offset while the 6's have 50mm offset.) The 6's will tuck in just fine by my eyeball after fitting them up using the spacers I got from KK which are 25mm thick.

Sooo...I'm guessing that I'm going to have to find a trade for my 7's for someone's 6's either here or EBay. BUT, being the lazy one I am, I'm asking the question--what if I put the 7's on the front? Assuming 195x50x16's all around, would it look stupid or act stupid if the 7's went on the front with the 6's on the rear?? My Volvos all had wider track in front than rear....seems like it wouldn't hurt the 914 as long as I don't scrub the fenders on tight turns....Anyone with experience for a little guidance here?
JoeSharp
I've put those on a 72 with 205 50's. They cleared the front and rear.
Racer
http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html

From here.. I would gather your Boxster wheels "should" work. Why?

1) 6x16 Boxster wheel has a 50mm offset. "regular" 911 Fuchs run a 36mm offset.. So you need a 14mm spacer/adaptor to fit just fine

2) 7x16 Boxster wheel has 40mm offset.. The "vaunted" 7x15 911R wheel had a 49mm offset (which works in the rear of "most" 914s with some spacers wink.gif ). The 7x15 "regular" fuch has a 23mm offset. So, with a 17mm spacer, the wheel should fit.

*my rudimentary math should NOT be considered an endorsement of fitment.. But I have seen these Boxster wheels on OTHER narrow 914s, so they should be able to work.
jim912928
I have those same boxster rims on my narrow bodied 75. I use the 7" rims on all 4 corners with Michelin Pilot 205/55/16's. There are no spacers. These do not rub at all...and I do have my car lowered alot.

Jim

p.s. my fenders are not rolled

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jun 22 2009, 04:54 PM) *

I have those same boxster rims on my narrow bodied 75. I use the 7" rims on all 4 corners with Michelin Pilot 205/55/16's. There are no spacers. These do not rub at all...and I do have my car lowered alot.

Jim

Click to view attachment

Man Jim that looks nice!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jun 22 2009, 04:54 PM) *

Jim

Click to view attachment

Aye, there's the rub (npi)---I'm using adapters to get from 4-lug to 5-lug and that extra inch (25mm) of spacer is what's killing me here, right? To run these wheels as you did, I'll need to get the hubs converted to 5-lug, right?
mskala
QUOTE(Racer @ Jun 22 2009, 05:37 PM) *

2) 7x16 Boxster wheel has 40mm offset.. The "vaunted" 7x15 911R wheel had a 49mm offset (which works in the rear of "most" 914s with some spacers wink.gif ). The 7x15 "regular" fuch has a 23mm offset. So, with a 17mm spacer, the wheel should fit.

Except that you really don't want 23mm offset, you still would want about 36 for the
rear of an unmodified car. Nothing or a 1/4" spacer would be good, and don't consider wider tires anyhow.
jim912928
yep...the 4-5 lug adapters are most likely the culprit here. When I first got my set (had 6" and 7" rims) I put the 7" in the front and the 6" in the back. The 6" width in the front was just too far in and looked stupid. It tracked fine. I was lucky enough to find someone who wanted to swap my 6" rims for 7" rims...that is how I ended up with a full set of 7's.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jun 22 2009, 08:40 PM) *

yep...the 4-5 lug adapters are most likely the culprit here. When I first got my set (had 6" and 7" rims) I put the 7" in the front and the 6" in the back. The 6" width in the front was just too far in and looked stupid. It tracked fine. I was lucky enough to find someone who wanted to swap my 6" rims for 7" rims...that is how I ended up with a full set of 7's.

Great....next step is to trial fit some 205's and look for no rub on the back...will post a pic when that's done.
JFJ914
Do the 6's fit the rear w/the adaptors? I think they should. I've got 4 6's and just ordered H&R 21mm spacers to move them out. (I have real 5 Lug hubs front and rear) Wanna trade 2 6's for 2 7's?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Jun 23 2009, 06:58 AM) *

Do the 6's fit the rear w/the adaptors? I think they should. I've got 4 6's and just ordered H&R 21mm spacers to move them out. (I have real 5 Lug hubs front and rear) Wanna trade 2 6's for 2 7's?

I'm going to trial fit the 7's on the front and 6's on rear, but if that looks funky, I'm game for the trade--thanks & you're the first in line!

JFJ914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 23 2009, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Jun 23 2009, 06:58 AM) *

I'm going to trial fit the 7's on the front and 6's on rear, but if that looks funky, I'm game for the trade--thanks & you're the first in line!

Cool
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.