Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My side shifter was delivered by FED EX TODAY YAY!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
futuresoptions
Alright, so I get it in today and one of the dog ears was broken off, looks like FED EX dropped it perfectly on that corner till the ear almost made it out of the box.... It is a clean break, I have $265. invested in this thing... is it now a high priced anchor, or can I have the ear welded back on.... I tried several searches, but after about 10 pages could find nothing.... What would you do with it.... mad.gif
Dr. Roger
did the shipper pay for insurance?

UPS insures for $100 by default on everything.
All shippers offer supplemental insurance at minimal extra cost.
futuresoptions
I re-checked the auction and it advised that insurance was included with the shipping and handling charges... If I can get it welded back on I would probably keep it, but I am unsure if this is a magnesium case or if it can be welded back on...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
by all means reweld it. We do it all the time as these late tail covers are extremely hard to find. Welding makes a perfect repair (obviously not concours but very strong)
futuresoptions
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 22 2009, 04:09 PM) *

by all means reweld it. We do it all the time as these late tail covers are extremely hard to find. Welding makes a perfect repair (obviously not concours but very strong)

Thanks Doc, will do... What I need to ask before I go and try and get this thing repaired, is what type of metal is the welder going to be welding.. Will I look for someone that welds aluminum? or just what type of welding do I need to ask for...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(futuresoptions @ Jun 22 2009, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 22 2009, 04:09 PM) *

Thanks Doc, will do... What I need to ask before I go and try and get this thing repaired, is what type of metal is the welder going to be welding.. Will I look for someone that welds aluminum? or just what type of welding do I need to ask for...

Want to get a good magnesium welder who has done it many times before. Our guy charges 75 bucks and does a GREAT job.
tat2dphreak
where in TX are you, Bill? if you are in the DFW area I would ask Wes or Zim's who could do it...
futuresoptions
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 22 2009, 05:08 PM) *

where in TX are you, Bill? if you are in the DFW area I would ask Wes or Zim's who could do it...

I am in deep south Texas, Rio Grande Valley....

Don't know if there is anyone down here that welds magnesium or not... headbang.gif

Shipping companies are so awesome... lol-2.gif
futuresoptions
If I can't find anyone locally, I will probably take the rear cover off and send it to Dr914 to be done... BTW, I go to pick up my car in two weeks... will have pics on the way soon! Went and paid half on the car last week and the guy showed me a 2.0 motor he had with dellortos on it... With gas going up again, I am thinking about just changing out all the seals on that thing and stabbing it in...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(futuresoptions @ Jun 22 2009, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 22 2009, 05:08 PM) *

I am in deep south Texas, Rio Grande Valley....

Don't know if there is anyone down here that welds magnesium or not... headbang.gif

Shipping companies are so awesome... lol-2.gif

there are... ask your local VW bug shops... they will know.
jcd914
Post a WTB ad in the classifieds and see if you can buy the back cover from a side shifter. I saw one FS not too long ago for (I think) $60. I considered it since I have a side shifter with a bent and severely cracked (but not broken off) ear.
Similar cost but you don't have to open the trans up and leave open until you get your repaired piece back.

Good luck
Jim
futuresoptions
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, I will call around tomorrow and try to track someone down... Thanks for all the help fellas.... I feel alot better now knowing that it can be repaired...
Rob-O 1167
If it's a side shifter, doesn't that mean that by default it's aluminum? I thought the magnesium went out the way of the tail shifter. And even then just the first year or two. Could be wrong...
Rob-O 1167
Try lighting the ear on fire. If you can't put it out, it's magnesium. If you can, it's aluminum. Of course you'll then need another ear!
futuresoptions
QUOTE(Rob-O 1167 @ Jun 22 2009, 05:55 PM) *

If it's a side shifter, doesn't that mean that by default it's aluminum? I thought the magnesium went out the way of the tail shifter. And even then just the first year or two. Could be wrong...

Good point, it is a side shifter... is this thing aluminum or magnesium?
Dr Evil
That is why I NEVER ship gear boxes with anyone other than Grey Hound. $265, is it a core?

I have several late model tail cones. SEVERAL. This is not a big deal to fix, let me know.

And if this pops up in a search, I have several /6 stock tail cones as well and tail shifter cones.
Dr Evil
Its mag alloy and can be welded, but why go to the trouble?
r_towle
Call Zim,s...I am sure he would have a few laying around.
OR
Call Easy...they have them also.

Rich
Dr Evil
Hello, I have some....I even have some for the cost of shipping if you are willing to tap some holes for the exhaust hanger studs.
futuresoptions
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 22 2009, 09:11 PM) *

Hello, I have some....I even have some for the cost of shipping if you are willing to tap some holes for the exhaust hanger studs.

PM Sent...
dbgriffith75
If the shipper had insurance on the package, they should replace it- but be careful. A lot of times parcel services will deny insurance claims if the item was not "properly packaged" and with a transmission they could have all sorts of excuses with that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.