Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The story that won't die - Porsche/VW working on a new 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/op...9/06/68225955/1

Seems they'd have enough on their hands trying to sell the Panamera over here!
BTW - whatever happened to the story about the VW/Porsche merger discussions?
SLITS
They can cull the tags on cars of the past, tag a new version, but it will never be the same. Just like BMW grabbed the Mini Cooper .... it is nothing like the original.

A Teener with roll up windows, targa, cupholder, A/C, soft seats, NO LEAKS, etc., just wouldn't be a Teener. Kinda of a wanna-be.

And it would be water cooled.
jaxdream
Oh no , say it ain't so ,a wasser teener screwy.gif screwy.gif

Jaxdream
EdwardBlume
Old man voice.. "they should have never stopped building the 914 in the first place!!" hissyfit.gif
Challe
Looks like VW has something out, the "blue sport" concept that was on display at Detroit motor show has been seen...

Link to the "other" side...

914 meets bluesport in the Alps story..
VaccaRabite
Wasn't the boxster the "new" 914 when it was released in the late 90s?

Entry level Porsche - check
Convertable - check
Midengined - check
Nimble but not really powerful for its time - check

They have been producing a "new" 914 for over a decade now.

Zach
Richard Casto
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 22 2009, 10:51 PM) *

BTW - whatever happened to the story about the VW/Porsche merger discussions?

I have been following this on/off over the past few week. Easiest thing to do is use Google News search to see what is going on.

In short, Porsche is still in serious trouble. They are trying to find a way to get out from under the 9 billion euro of debt they have from the VW takeover attempt that looks to have failed. They have been looking to sell a significant share of Porsche to pay off the debt. Qatar (the country) and Daimler (parent of Mercedes) are potential buyers that have been mentioned in the news. They have also been trying to get loans from the German government, but that doesn't look like it's going to work because the reason Porsche is in trouble is not due to economic reasons, but rather their own doing.

I expect the most likely scenario is that Porsche will sell 25% of themselves to pay off some debt. Then they will merge with VW and Porsche will become a VW brand. The combined company may pay off the remainder of the debt. The Porsche/Peich family will still have a significant ownership in whatever results from this mess. The heads of Porsche management will roll when the entire thing is over.
ottox914
I've been SO ready for the BlueSport for a long while. Sure, its water cooled, but at a mid engined sports car for today, hook me up with the diesel, I'll get 40-50 mpg and loving every minute of it. A little more turbo, a little more fuel, and we're on the way.

Don't know that I'd sell the 914T to get my hands on one though.

Nana's_914
If they do release something labled 914 it will be great PR for our original 914's. Likely driving the value up.
Rand
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 23 2009, 06:20 AM) *

Wasn't the boxster the "new" 914 when it was released in the late 90s?

Entry level Porsche - check
Convertable - check
Midengined - check
Nimble but not really powerful for its time - check

They have been producing a "new" 914 for over a decade now.

Zach

Closest for sure. But convertible != targa. The only other mid-engined car I've seen them introduce with the same body style is the Carerra GT. Woohoo, the new 914!
biggrin.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 23 2009, 03:27 PM) *

Closest for sure. But convertible != targa. The only other mid-engined car I've seen them introduce with the same body style is the Carerra GT. Woohoo, the new 914!
biggrin.gif

My thoughts exactly. Here is my desktop image...
IPB Image
iamchappy
That Blue Sport doesn't resemble the 914 at all, i hope they dont call it a 914, where as the Carrera Gt has some similar features as the boxiness deep rear and the sail pillars.
Racer
The Boxster was quickly assimilated as being the spirit of the 1950s spyder, not the 914.

The "Bluetec 914" would be great, but I fear it would be priced out of its league. The Bluetec is rumored to be a $30-35K in USD and a PORSCHE is always more than a VW.. So suddenly it runs up against the current ($47K base) Boxster.. hmm.. Smells like what happened to the 914-6! (Unless porsche would "ditch" the "base" Boxster/Cayman and only offer it in "S" versions that could be priced above the new 914).
Midtowner
From egmCarTech today: http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/06/23/porsc...-cayman-models/
huh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Jun 23 2009, 01:08 PM) *

If they do release something labled 914 it will be great PR for our original 914's. Likely driving the value up.

as if it could go lower... poke.gif beer.gif
charliew
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 23 2009, 03:13 PM) *

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Nice art but I don't think the door will open unless it lifts off.
SLITS
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 23 2009, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 23 2009, 03:13 PM) *

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Nice art but I don't think the door will open unless it lifts off.

On which car? av-943.gif
rjames
On which car? av-943.gif

lol-2.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.