Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The worst tranz rebuild (attempt) I have ever seen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
As I was cleaning up the pool of nastiness oozing all over my floor from a tail shifter someone dropped off as a parts donor [it was supposed to have been drained dry.gif ], I started to get the feeling that this was going to be an interesting autopsy. I was not disappointed.

Among the things I found:
- Missing detent balls - that is why it was hard to shift it into gears and have it stay
- Broken <-- large thrust washer. Not sure how this happened. Fricken amazing.
- 4/5th slider completely toothless! Unheard of.
- All synchro bands but 5th were shiny and trashed
- Castellated nut on 1st was hand tight after roll pin was removed

All the damn work it took to cannibalize this damn gear box and what was I able to salvage? Two intermediate plate bearings, one set of dog teeth and one synchro band. Almost not worth it dry.gif Disgusting, hateful things.
messix
hey Mike it sounds like you need some cheese too! happy11.gif

to go with your whine!
EdwardBlume
Sounds like a tough date there Mike. Get back in the game though buddy! We need ya!
McMark
You know what they say... if it pops out of 5th, just hold it in place and drive on as if nothing is wrong.
Dr Evil
smile.gif

With the missing detente ball the person would have had to have held it in 4th or 5th. 4th was toast.
Todd Enlund
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Katmanken
Soooo......

What you are trying to tell us is the PO was a toothless, ball-less wonder with a broken thrust washer....

And surgery didn't help...... happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 22 2009, 09:00 PM) *

- Missing detent balls - that is why it was hard to shift it into gears and have it stay
- Broken <-- large thrust washer. Not sure how this happened. Fricken amazing.
- 4/5th slider completely toothless! Unheard of.
- All synchro bands but 5th were shiny and trashed
- Castellated nut on 1st was hand tight after roll pin was removed

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dr Evil
I would have taken pics but it was one hell of a mess. I can take pics of the parts, but they are not very interesting if you dont know what you are looking at.
Cupomeat
Well, as the tranny was mine, I take full responsibility and have already apologized for the failure to drain the transmission. Sorry again.

I couldn't tell you who the PO was as the car came from a swap, but the rest of the car was pretty much the same horror story. I bet it was a home job, in which it was taken apart and whatever fell out, didn't exactly make it back in. I wonder what they believe they "fixed".

The car was never driven on the road after I got it, nor ever by me so I can't speak to the tranny use. However, the smoke that the engine produced was said to have affected the mosquito population in Marcy NY for 2 full years.

Let's hope the next two are not as bad, but as they have no real history, I can't promise anything except I didn't drain the fluids... unsure.gif

Let me know if I need to bring you yet another transmission (drained, of course).
Spoke
That wasn't the one I gave you was it? I thought I drained that one.
r_towle
The thread of guilt gets longer and longer.

Our community is getting smaller so its getting harder to vent without running into an active member here....

Rich
SLITS
busted_cop.gif BUSTED

The Hazmat team will be there in a minute!
Dr Evil
Nah, I already privately chastised Meat wink.gif All in good fun. It is not his fault that the gear box was so screwed. I wont know what I need until I get into the better boxed you brought wink.gifI believe them to be much better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.