Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the correct backspacing for the Empi 8-spoke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zambezi
I have just looked through about 27 pages of wheel/rim posts to try and find my answer. I always hear posters saying the proper 8 spoke Empi wheel with the Porsche backspacing will allow you to run wider tires than 185's without rubbing issues, yet as soon as someone asks -"O.K. what is the correct backspacing" - the thread would go cold. So here I am asking what is the correct Porsche backspacing on the Empi (more specifically the knock off version) 8 spoke rims? Also what is the backspacing of the standard VW style backspaced rim? Does anybody actually know or is it just heresay and urban legend. I ask this because I have heard people say it yet have not found the actual dimentional differences. I have a set of brand new never mounted 8 spokes that were purchased by the previous owner many years ago (probably 20 years) but would like to figure out if it is worth offering to the VW crowd, or if they are the actual "Porsche" backspace, then I believe I have a duty to offer here first.
JIM
Project 6
Same as the 914/4 Fuch/Mahle/Petrini wheels.
dkjens
Is it 4-3/4" or 120mm?
zambezi
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 03:27 PM) *

Same as the 914/4 Fuch/Mahle/Petrini wheels.

Which is what? I am looking for the dimensional measurements. I don't have stacks of other manufaturers wheels to compare. Maybe someone can tell us what those wheels backspace is then.
Thanks anyways,
JIM
Project 6
120-125mm will work....
charliew
You need to also check the wheel width. I tried to use a 914 steel wheel as a spare on my son's 72 super beetle and it wouldn't fit in the spare spot. I mounted the same tire on a beetle rim and it fit fine.

Probably all the easy answers will be on samba along with some anxious buyers.

We had some western eagles from 86 and they were bought for a bug. They space the tire out a little more than the stock wheel on the bug. They are a copy of sorts for the vw empi wheel. I've never seen empi wheels that are knockoffs. Do you mean the wheels have the little screw holes to hold the center caps on?

Sorry I said western I meant american eagle.
Project 6
American Eagle makes an Empi clone.
zambezi
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 05:23 PM) *

American Eagle makes an Empi clone.

Correct, I believe mine are the american eagle clones.
charliew
If they are brand new you might get 75.00/100.00 apiece but they are a cast wheel. I've seen 4 used for 100.00, the freight is the problem. I just bought a clean used one that will need 75.00 dollars worth of polishing and paint on ebay for 25.00. They use a black plastic center that snaps in. Be careful about buying replacement centers measure carefully twice and buy once.

Also someone here has said the offset is not good for wider tires on the 914 if they are for a bug.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I think I want another set for a speedster kit waiting on my attention. I can pay pal.
zambezi
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 23 2009, 05:37 PM) *

If they are brand new you might get 75.00/100.00 apiece but they are a cast wheel. I've seen 4 used for 100.00, the freight is the problem. I just bought a clean used one that will need 75.00 dollars worth of polishing and paint on ebay for 25.00. They use a black plastic center that snaps in. Be careful about buying replacement centers measure carefully twice and buy once.

Also someone here has said the offset is not good for wider tires on the 914 if they are for a bug.

I have all the new unmounted black plastic center caps. This is why am asking the question about the backspacing, I want to know which version they are. I will not offer them here if they will be a problem on the 914, but will list them on thesamba or something like that.
charliew
What color are the spokes? Gold maybe?
zambezi
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 23 2009, 05:54 PM) *

What color are the spokes? Gold maybe?

Nope sorry they are black spokes.
charliew
The used wheel on ebay was in GA. it was 19.00 freight. LA. is a lot closer you wanna ship them to 76638 or a truck terminal in Waco 76702-76712? I could pick them up at the terminal and the fr. would be less.

PM me if you are interested a local guy would get a much better deal as the freight runs the cost up. If the price is right I could paint them gold.
steveneashcraft
Does anyone know what the backspacing is for a stock 914 wheel?
How about the offset?
Gint
Superlite wheel thread link in my sig... first page.
bandjoey
I tried a set and they're vw backspacing. To fit means pulling out the fender on all the Empi clones sad.gif I've seen. They're great lookiing wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.