Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reverse light switch & odometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
Hi guys,

State Inspection time. Despite passing the car last year in the exact same condition, the shop won't pass my 72 w/2.0 with the odometer and my backup lights not working . He says the switch for the reverse lights is cooked.

1. Anybody have one or know a good place to get this reverse light switch. I think I found the right one on Pelican but it takes me a week to get their stuff. Local parts place says its the same as a 911 and 928. Is that right?

2. 3 914's and I've never had a working odometer in any of them. Does the whole guage have to be rebuilt? I have a spare but that odometer doesn't work either. Thanks.
JerryP
Sorry that posted 3 times. I don't know what happened.
McMark
Open the extra threads and go to the bottom. Under moderation options you can delete them.
Dave_Darling
Pelican has an article on "gauge refurbishment" that also includes how to fix your odometer.

I don't know if the 914 part is the same as the 928 part, but it is the same as the early 911 part. You might want to also check the actuating pin behind the switch--this can wear until it is too short to activate the switch. Pull the switch and the pin and use the pin to push the switch--if the lights light up, you need a longer pin. You can make one from a drill bit of the appropriate size, I am told.

--DD
JerryP
Cool! I'll try that first. Thanks Dave.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 5 2004, 11:22 AM)
You might want to also check the actuating pin behind the switch--this can wear until it is too short to activate the switch. Pull the switch and the pin and use the pin to push the switch--if the lights light up, you need a longer pin. You can make one from a drill bit of the appropriate size, I am told.

stupid question:

do i need to drain the tranny-oil to do that?
double-a
QUOTE(JerryP @ Mar 5 2004, 10:28 AM)
2. 3 914's and I've never had a working odometer in any of them. Does the whole guage have to be rebuilt? I have a spare but that odometer doesn't work either. Thanks.

i just fixed mine about a week ago. after a period of intermittency, my odometer just stopped working altogether. the pelican article that dave mentioned is great; very thorough and has lots of pictures. pulling the gauge and fixing the problem is easy, the hardest part is lining up those numbered wheels... headbang.gif if you run into trouble, let me know. i've done one, so now i think i'm a veteran laugh.gif

~a
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2004, 11:40 AM)
do i need to drain the tranny-oil to do that?

I believe that the switch is above the oil level in the transmission. Check how high it is relative to the fill plug--the normal oil level should be to the bottom of the fill plug. If the switch is below that, it might not be a bad idea to drain the oil.

--DD
partsman
The back-up light switch was on the 914, 911 and i think some 944's. Anyway, if your local dealer is close, he might have one, as the last cars to have that switch were the last of the air cooled 911's (1997). They are not very expensive. either. (the switch, not the cars)
Rgreen914
The back-up light switch is above the level of the tranny oil; the switch is not exactly cheap, around $50+, as I recall (I broke the plastic portion off a new one a few weeks back and had to re-replace it).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.