Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Saver Spare Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I need one. I have Boxster rims on my car. I think the bolt patter is OK but what about the offset???
I see a few on Ebay and would like to buy one. I even found one up here in Canada.
WDYT?
944 rim
burton73
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 23 2009, 04:41 PM) *

I need one. I have Boxster rims on my car. I think the bolt patter is OK but what about the offset???
I see a few on Ebay and would like to buy one. I even found one up here in Canada.
WDYT?
944 rim

They only come in 15” The wheels are very heavy. I bought on the bird board but Bruce has one or more in Riverside and you can put then on a 15inch aluminum Fuchs wheel. I take it your Boxsters are taller than 15” or you could put a tire on one of them. I do not think the offset matters.

Bob
iamchappy
I went with the newer 17" skinny tire rim over the collapsable spare. I had both and
found the skinny worked better for me by laying it on top of the carpeted trunk shelf.
I am using the space saver from a 44. I took inflatable tire off and mounted tire that gives me same ride height as my 16" Fuchs. I carry it under top in rear trunk.

That way I can get a bigger cooler up front... beer.gif

Ken

I bought mine from Bruce last year....
McMark
I'll be carrying an early 911 steel wheel for use as a spare.
Spoke
I looked into the mini-spare and ended up buying a 14in Fuchs from Eric Shea. The rim is as light as they come. Plus it looks good on the car or in the trunk.
70Sixter
The nice thing about a steel spare is that if you HAVE to have a new tire mounted on the road, some 17 year old drop out won't be able to ruin an expensive alloy.

The front mounted full size spare also absorbs some energy in a frontal crash.

That said I've done both and currently have full sized tire/alloy wheel combo in front for originality's sake.

I have a space saver spare with electric air pump that is awaiting my change of heart back to its use.
horizontally-opposed
I use a five-lug Mahle as a "weight-saver" spare, mounted up with a 165SR15 tire.

I agree about using full-size spares up front for crash safety. These cars need all the help they can get!

pete
Rav914
There are different manufacturers and offsets. Here's some more info:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/sho...ral+steel+wheel
carr914
I use a 15x6 Cookie Cutter

T.C.
burton73
This is one of my space saver wheels. It will be refinished and I have a special mount that I made from an A/C bracket I got from Bruce that I welded on the back side of the Gas tank wall on my 914-6 so it clears the oil cooler. On my 914-8 it will go in the rear trunk.

They are tough to get off the rim. You need to fill them with air for some hours and then when you deflate them they stay tall. After they mount them they need to hit them with a bat to get them to lie down.

Bob
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.