Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Had a bad week and a worse fathers day...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
She was a great dog and a great friend. I will miss her. Pissed off at the vet though. they charged me almost 300 bucks to do the procedure because it was Sunday. If I would have waited till Monday it would have been 40 bucks. Greedy bastards! With the wife losing it and the kids (19 and 18 year old girls) crying I had to be the one to take Daisy to the vets and it was hard. She's in a better place now no pain or bad days ahead. Nothing but Sunny days, All you can eat doggy bones and plenty of cats to chase!!!!

FYI she had a stroke two months ago after a surgery and it slowly just got worse. She lost use of her rear legs thursday night and lost her bowel control on saturday.

thanks for listening, had to talk to someone and you guys and girls have helped me in the past so thanks again.

beer.gif Here's one for the best dog and friend i've ever had!

Doesn't she have a great smile?
zymurgist
I'm so sorry for you. They really are family members. sad.gif
Ian Stott
We had an absolutely fantastic Great Dane when we lived in BC and my 2 youngest grew up hanging on him, chewing on him, getting him to pull the wagon, you name it and oh yeah dressing him up stoopid looking for Hallowe'en, he put up with it all and had avery regal way about him. Passed away suddenly about a month before we were heading back to the Maritimes, couldn't leave him 5000 KM away so we had him cremated and put in a very nice urn and so he is still with us today on the mantle in the living room. Call us crazy, but I feel better that we did it. I am sorry for your loss.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
iamchappy
So sorry for your loss, nothing is better than a good dog.....

There is almost nothing worst, good you realized her better days were behind her, it is a kind thing to do, but is really painful as your heart will be broken for awhile.

My oldest Darla is 10 now and i think about how few years i may have left with her. She's going in to have a back tooth she cracked pulled on Friday the estimate for that is 700.00 but worth every penny to me for all she gives the family.

I hope Darla will be able to get out hunting with me for many more years.
porschecb
Lost our poodle two years ago and picked up a black lab puppy 6 months ago. Name is Daisy! 3 dogs strong. I am sorry for your loss! Go get another one soon!

Michael
kconway
I feel your pain. sad.gif

Last summer my 6 year old Beagle was diagnosised with an agressive lymphoma after he just got lethargic one day. I put my best buddy down a few days later as the vet told me he was likely to get very unconfortable in the next few days. Toughest thing I've ever had to do yet in my life. I miss that little guy and think of him often...
montoya 73 2.0
Thanks guys. Buried her under a nice tree with her favorite dog bones and her blanket.

mharrison
I feel for you. Having a dog put to sleep is one of the toughest things I've ever done. At least you know that you did the best thing for her, even it didn't seem like the best thing for you.

I've got a 13 year old Golden Retriever right now who is deaf and going blind. He's also started losing weight over the last year. I fear that the day is coming soon, despite the fact that the vet says he is OK.
Tom
Sorry to hear of your loss. Had to have my 13 year old shepard put down last year. One of the hardest things I have ever done. Still hurts remembering that. I just have to focus on the great times she gave us.
Came home from delivering an elderly lady some free fire wood and the sheriff's deputy was in the driveway. I ask what is wrong and he said my alarm had gone off, he had looked around and saw nothing wrong except the garage door was open into the fenced side yard, but he couldn't get in to check the garage as Amber was there and barking at him. He was waiting for back up. Laughed till I cried. He said no way he was going over the fence with a 110 lb shepard guarding the open door. Had to agree, if it wasn't my dog, neither would I. She did get a little something extra for supper tho'.
Tom
iamchappy
We love these dogs as much as we love anything......
MBowman325
I grew up with a boxer, from age 5 to 19 (1999) and recall the week I had to have him put down. It was a bad week and a lousy month - mostly a long slow slide until he normally couldn't get around or control himself. He had a really good day, managed to get up and tell everyone bye and be frisky for an hour or so. The next day we had to take him in.

Took me years before I was ready for another dog. They're awesome companions and in my case, like many others, very much a part of the family. (Part of why I'm not heading to Africa any time soon).

My condolences, I know it's rough but you've nailed it - no more pain. Seems rougher though when you've got other dogs wondering what happened, or standing vigil over where you buried him for nearly a week. (not applicable in your case here but still) If you happen upon another dog soon that's fantastic.
Jake Raby
A few years ago I had to put a Dog down I had for 18 years.. That was so difficult to do, but when its 0300 in the morning in the country with no Vet for 40 miles+ I had to..

It was very hard to do, but I couldn't see him suffer any longer. Growing up on a farm I had experienced that before with other animals, but man was it difficult with that old dog that I loved so much..
dw914er
sad.gif

dogs are seriously family
Bill D
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers
6freak
QUOTE(Bill D @ Jun 24 2009, 02:50 PM) *

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers

With that,, all dogs do go to heaven ..It must be a fun place!

My regards
Mike C
EdwardBlume
Sorry to hear the news... sounds like you had a great dog. Hope you and the family get through it fast..
ghuff
Sorry to hear. Thursday my grandfather was on life support and my parents flew out friday morning at 6am to pull the plug.

Interesting fathers day weekend, to say the least.
Zundfolge
Sorry to hear about your loss.

We put our 15 year old English Shepherd down back in November. We paid a little more than what you did, but we had a mobile vet come by the house (and sprung for cremation ... he now guards our front door in his little urn).

For future reference I HIGHLY recommend going that route. Murphy got to go in his own home, surrounded by loved ones and not in the one place in the world he hated more than anywhere; the Vet's office.
watsonrx13
I'm so sorry for your loss... I too had my oldest die last year and posted on this site. Everyone was so supportive.... They are truly part of our family and will be greatly missed... Grieve well my friend... We also had our dog creamated and he's on our mantle watching over us everyday...

-- Rob
NS914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jun 23 2009, 10:10 PM) *

We had an absolutely fantastic Great Dane when we lived in BC and my 2 youngest grew up hanging on him, chewing on him, getting him to pull the wagon, you name it and oh yeah dressing him up stoopid looking for Hallowe'en, he put up with it all and had avery regal way about him. Passed away suddenly about a month before we were heading back to the Maritimes, couldn't leave him 5000 KM away so we had him cremated and put in a very nice urn and so he is still with us today on the mantle in the living room. Call us crazy, but I feel better that we did it. I am sorry for your loss.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Hi Ian,

We had a similar deal with our old dog (15 years). I always remember my Mother telling anyone who would listen that she could not stand that dog and yet, who was just a wreck at his passing more than anyone else in the family.

On a side note, I live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia; which puts you and I about 2.5 hours from one another. We will have to touch base. I am actually going to be in Moncton July 15 - 19 with our U15 Provincial Soccer Team. The Boys are doing some training at Mount A and then playing in a tournament at the end of the week.

Hope to touch base soon.

I forgot to mention, I am a newbie on this site but am on the other one often. I have a '74 that I am currently restoring / rebuilding. My goal is a car I can have equal amounts of fun with at the track and on the street.

Talk with ya soon.

Grant
Wk: 902 470-6893
Cell: 902 219-2131
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.