Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karmann Kaputt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixerdon
I'm surprised no one here picked up on this. I'm old and slow, so here it is.

Don

http://www.leftlanenews.com/karmann-offici...-its-doors.html
McMark
Think of all the dies/forms/molds that are headed for the trash. sad.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2009, 07:51 PM) *

Think of all the dies/forms/molds that are headed for the trash. sad.gif

Do you think they have the 914 dies? idea.gif
ghuff
Hopefully someone buys the molds and dies for the various cars.

Sciroccos, 914's, etc.

There are a lot of oddball molds/dies that really should be saved for future paneling sad.gif
rick 918-S
idea.gif I only I could win the lottery dry.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 24 2009, 11:38 PM) *

time to make a few calls over to my German friends....see what is going to happen....

R
ghuff
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2009, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 24 2009, 11:38 PM) *

time to make a few calls over to my German friends....see what is going to happen....

R

Please do, a lot of folks would like these molds to be used again to produce panels......

The corrado, the scirocco?

For them to be tossed is a fucking crime :|
EdwardBlume
If they are in bankruptcy, call the secured lenders instead...
HCRDAN
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 24 2009, 09:50 PM) *

I'm surprised no one here picked up on this. I'm old and slow, so here it is.

Don

http://www.leftlanenews.com/karmann-offici...-its-doors.html

I was going to post something about it this morning and that's when I discovered the system was down.

As far as I can tell, they are still in business manufacturing auto parts, just shut down their assembly operations. The article I read stated they had recently lost a major project to Magna, the Canada based company who is bidding for Opel I beleive.
flipb
Another Karmann-related news item has slipped under the radar:

VW has acquired a portion of Karmann's operations, including their Osnabrück assembly facilities. Is this where our 914's were built?

The Volkswagen Supervisory Board meeting on 20 November approved the acquisition of Karmann machinery, equipment and land at Osnabrück. Volkswagen says it will establish a new subsidiary in the coming weeks at Karmann’s Osnabrück plant. Production of an all-new vehicle will begin at the plant in 2011.
SirAndy
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 2 2009, 10:14 AM) *

VW has acquired a portion of Karmann's operations[/url], including their Osnabrück assembly facilities. Is this where our 914's were built?

I believe so ... idea.gif
Gint
Sounds familiar... Osnabrück that is.
lotus_65
according to http://www.karmann.com/

"1955 to 1974 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe

With the last VW Karmann Ghia Coupe produced in Osnabrück on July 31st, 1974, a unique chapter in automobile history is now compeleted. Since 1955, 362,601 vehicles will have been delivered to Volkswagen over a span of close to 20 years. No other vehicle has shaped Karmann’s image more."

(btw, i'll very soon invest some time in a thread about one of these i will build... stay tuned) shades.gif
lotus_65
from the same page:

"1969 to 1975 VW-Porsche 914

At the IAA 1969 in Frankfurt, VW and Porsche present a small sports-car with a centrally located engine, soon called "Volksporsche". This sports-car is available with a four and a six cylinder engine, supplying 80 and 110 hp, respectively. The four cylinder version is entirely constructed by Karmann while the six cylinder version has a Porsche engine and a Karmann body."

it doesn't say what factory our 914's were built, but the 911 and 912's were built at Osnabrück.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.