Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock fuel pump mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
One thing I wanted to fix on my car while I was doing the hell hole repair, was to get new fuel pump mounts. Being that mine had broken off and was just zip-tied to the brake line. Well, new stock mounts are $25 to $30 EACH. Wow! And they have to be ordered from Porsche. So one parts distributer suggested using 911sc mounts as they are about the same depth. But they only have one stud and that stud is a little thicker than the stock 914. The other side is female. But that should work, right?
Does anyone have any experience with other alternatives that don't include the $8 cheapo version that break right away or radiator mounts which are too thin?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 25 2009, 02:46 PM) *

One thing I wanted to fix on my car while I was doing the hell hole repair, was to get new fuel pump mounts. Being that mine had broken off and was just zip-tied to the brake line. Well, new stock mounts are $25 to $30 EACH. Wow! And they have to be ordered from Porsche. So one parts distributer suggested using 911sc mounts as they are about the same depth. But they only have one stud and that stud is a little thicker than the stock 914. The other side is female. But that should work, right?
Does anyone have any experience with other alternatives that don't include the $8 cheapo version that break right away or radiator mounts which are too thin?

we have the very rugged $5.00 replacements. Same configuration great quality, work perfectly, stock configuration
kconway
I found some at McMaster-Carr that were close but not perfect. They were either a little bigger or smaller. Haven't actually used them yet so I'm not sure if they are what you describe as the cheap version that breaks or not. They were less then $2 each. The one on the right is stock the left is the first one I got from Mcmaster, I went back and got one that was shorter. Check this thread also:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=92265&hl=
Kev

Click to view attachment
McMark
agree.gif I get mine from McMaster-Carr.
scrz914
The ones that I call cheapo are from the local VW shop and don't look like they would last a year. Also, Rich at HPH said to steer clear.
These look like good alternatives. As long as they are not smaller than stock, I think they would be okay. Otherwise it looks like there would be clearance problems.
jt914-6
Try an appliance repair shop and ask for refrigerator isolators. They are probably strong enough. Or maybe Lowes, Home Depot, ect. to find the quality that looks good to you...
Katmanken
The whole point is to hold the pump in place and to vibrationally isolate the pump. Either one of the McMaster Carr ones would work but it might shift the frequency of the transmitted vibration up or down a little.

If you are in the store, bring an old one and do the thumb nail rubber durometer(hardness) test. If one is a better match in durometer to the factory part, take that one. Too soft, and the rear mounted pump might sag against the metal of the car, too hard, and it will be transmitting more noise.

Heck, some of the VW products just throw the pump into a little foam box with no screw tiedowns which is a solution for front mounted pumps...
dflesburg
Yes, fasteners of all kinds can be had at McMaster Carr.

I suggest getting a digital caliper so you can measure everything. a set of metric dies helps too.

Then get all new bolts for cheap at McMaster Carr

David_S
Go to your local John Deere dealership and have them get you a couple of part # R109505 . These are exhaust pipe isolators used on the 60 series row crop tractors. List price is about 20 bucks. But, if they can hold up to an exhaust, then they should be able to hold up to a fuel pump. This is what I am going to use on mine when I get back to reassembling it !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.