Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of my rotary 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
Here is my 1974 914 with a ported 13b rotary engine. Weber 48IDA carb, Custom exhaust, 911 front end and dash. I was having tranny problems but got that solved. Now trying to dial in the front end. Has some steering shake at high speeds. A constant work in progress. Thanks for the help I got from some of you.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
craig3x
Would love to hear comments from anyone else who has done this conversion, or comments from anyone at all. Except haters!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Joe Owensby
Looks nice. thanks for sharing. JoeO
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Be very proud of your work and effort. Looks like a fun 914 to drive. Now sort it

out!!! Dave slap.gif
Rotary'14
Sweet ride,, I like it. biggrin.gif
I have another rotary bro on here. drunk.gif

for strange shimmy at speed,, make sure your wheels are balanced, or rotate your tires front to rear and see if you still have the shakes.

Did you ever get the jetting and fuel pressure sorted out?

-Rob
craig3x
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 25 2009, 06:26 PM) *

for strange shimmy at speed,, make sure your wheels are balanced, or rotate your tires front to rear and see if you still have the shakes.

-Rob

I did balance the tires. Can't rotate em (different sizes), and no....carb is still quirky. Great idle, and great at WOT, but sputtering at cruising speeds. Gonna go to an rx-7 forum for advice.

Any other ideas for the steering shake? Is this a common problem when swithing to the 911 front end?
craig3x
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 25 2009, 06:26 PM) *

-Rob

Yeah, I remember reading your thread awhile back. That thread got pretty big. Let's keep the rotary threads alive. It's gotta be the top 2 or 3 engine swaps. Very light weight and tons of space in the engine compartment. I think the suburu wrx swap would be awesome too.
dkjens
I like it, except for one thing, that huge rear bumber he he, but I like no bumbers ---- so.

I have an SC front end on mine. It tracked like shit and also shook. I just lowered it (increasing toe in) and it helped alot, so I'm sure a front end allignment will do wonders, did you have one done?
craig3x
QUOTE(dkjens @ Jun 25 2009, 08:23 PM) *

I like it, except for one thing, that huge rear bumber he he, but I like no bumbers ---- so.

I have an SC front end on mine. It tracked like shit and also shook. I just lowered it (increasing toe in) and it helped alot, so I'm sure a front end allignment will do wonders, did you have one done?

Not yet, cuz I called a performance shop that specializes in suspension and they told me that an alignment would not help with any shaking.
Yes, I would like to use a different bumper as well. That is an easy fix that can be done after I dial in the important stuff. Do you have a pic of your car??
jmill
Is that a Flowmaster? I was thinking of doing something similar on my Type IV. Always loved rotaries. I'm still looking for a nice RX3.
cwpeden
Did you add the late model rear bumper? Or is your car a 75-76?
markb
Nice job. The front end looks pretty low, do you have a bump steer kit on it?
craig3x
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 25 2009, 09:05 PM) *

Nice job. The front end looks pretty low, do you have a bump steer kit on it?

No bump steer.....yet. do you know much about them?
craig3x
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 25 2009, 09:00 PM) *

Is that a Flowmaster? I was thinking of doing something similar on my Type IV. Always loved rotaries. I'm still looking for a nice RX3.

yeah, it's a flowmaster with a pre-silencing muffler before it. Still loud as hell though at wide open throttle.
dkjens
Craig,

Here are a few of mine. It's got a 283 Chevy small block, mild, Schoenfeld 180 degree cross over headers (which by the way are extremely sensitive to back pressure), SC front end and brakes all around with Porterfield shoes. Wheels from an '01 C4 (17x7.5/9), new 275/40ZR17 in the rear. Stock 914 tranny, rebuilt axles and CVs (after spinning one CV) Dr. Evil's safety wired CV bolts inner and outer. I am getting a 350 small block back this summer that will go in (the 283 does not have head snapping power) and I will redo my exhaust with two 3" in/out real (non race) mufflers.
craig3x
awesome. I like the flat black. But what are the oval holes cut out next to the trunk lock for? did you have issues dealing with the added weight of the v-8? Can I talk you in to rotary power? It's like driving a street bike with 4 wheels.
craig3x
also, how do you get proper cooling? looks like you didn't make any holes in the front end for airflow to a radiator
dkjens
My whole rear trunk including tranny mount is cut out and tubing welded in. The rear could easily look and possibly act like a big air scoop. I had seen somebody else cut these parts out and I liked it.
The black hole under the front license plate is air intake. I lost most of my photos recently due to a PC 'rebuild' but I have a bunch of photos on Facebook (Jens Loengaa) and here is a short clip of my headers during the build process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enr-4xpVbEQ
craig3x
QUOTE(dkjens @ Jun 26 2009, 04:30 PM) *

My whole rear trunk including tranny mount is cut out and tubing welded in. The rear could easily look and possibly act like a big air scoop. I had seen somebody else cut these parts out and I liked it.
The black hole under the front license plate is air intake. I lost most of my photos recently due to a PC 'rebuild' but I have a bunch of photos on Facebook (Jens Loengaa) and here is a short clip of my headers during the build process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enr-4xpVbEQ

HaHa, That youtube clip was nice. That is the craziest exhaust setup I have ever seen. Does it run hot? My shit runs very hot, but rotaries are known for hot exhaust. So, that still doesn't explain the oval holes. What are they for? And where do you get radiator cooling air from?
Justinp71
Craig your car looks good!

I used to have a shake in the front end, it turns out it was a bent rim. And my new replacement rims also shaked and it turned out that firestone did not balance the new rims correctly.
craig3x
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 26 2009, 05:22 PM) *

Craig your car looks good!

I used to have a shake in the front end, it turns out it was a bent rim. And my new replacement rims also shaked and it turned out that firestone did not balance the new rims correctly.

hmmm, I will have to double check that
JazonJJordan
Awesome choice- I would like a thread dedicated to your example and others that are 914Rotary's. Pics and stats you have found, like what rpm's in each gear at speed? MPG? Costs to convert would be great too- adapters needed? Great projects guys!
JazonJJordan
Hate to say, but uMmmm...
Check the forward facing picture of the rear drivers wheel/tire- near upright. Now the other photo of the rear; major pass side camber issues of console pre-colapse-
Mine was exactly the same, soon the pass door started to stick and then that door window rubbed the top outside corner of the frame as the long collapsed.
I hope this is wrong but there are flags...(sorry)..

QUOTE(dkjens @ Jun 26 2009, 05:05 PM) *

Craig,

Here are a few of mine. It's got a 283 Chevy small block, mild, Schoenfeld 180 degree cross over headers (which by the way are extremely sensitive to back pressure), SC front end and brakes all around with Porterfield shoes. Wheels from an '01 C4 (17x7.5/9), new 275/40ZR17 in the rear. Stock 914 tranny, rebuilt axles and CVs (after spinning one CV) Dr. Evil's safety wired CV bolts inner and outer. I am getting a 350 small block back this summer that will go in (the 283 does not have head snapping power) and I will redo my exhaust with two 3" in/out real (non race) mufflers.

jim_hoyland
Craig,

Very nice, really like the 911 dash and ampel ( sp) console. Would explain ( to a non-mechanic) how the ignition is set up. I see the two MSD and a six wire distributer....curious minds want to learn.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 28 2009, 09:32 AM) *

Craig,

Very nice, really like the 911 dash and ampel ( sp) console. Would explain ( to a non-mechanic) how the ignition is set up. I see the two MSD and a six wire distributer....curious minds want to learn.

I'm not Craig,, but I can answer your question (because I stayed at a Holiday Inn).
Craig's car is a 2 rotor 13B. Each rotor gets 2 spark plugs, a leading and a trailing. These 2 plugs fire staggered by 10 degrees. A single coil can't charge fast enough to provide another spark so quickly, so 2 coils are also used. The ignition cap and rotor just split the leading and trailing sparks between the 2 rotors, just like our T4 engine splits the spark output of 1 coil between 4 cylinders.
He's using the 2 MSD boxes to "stimulate" each ignition coil, thus 2 MSD boxes.

I hope this makes some sense Jim.

-Robert
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 28 2009, 07:00 PM) *

Craig,

I'm not Craig,, but I can answer your question (because I stayed at a Holiday Inn).
Craig's car is a 2 rotor 13B. Each rotor gets 2 spark plugs, a leading and a trailing. These 2 plugs fire staggered by 10 degrees. A single coil can't charge fast enough to provide another spark so quickly, so 2 coils are also used. The ignition cap and rotor just split the leading and trailing sparks between the 2 rotors, just like our T4 engine splits the spark output of 1 coil between 4 cylinders.

-Robert

Thanks Robert. That pretty cool. I gotta ride in your Rotary at the next funcion.

craig3x
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 28 2009, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 28 2009, 07:00 PM) *

Craig,

sorry, long time since I checked my post.....you are correct. and the rotary engine uses a 4-cyl tachometer which make my 911 tach perfect for the job

-Robert

Thanks Robert. That pretty cool. I gotta ride in your Rotary at the next funcion.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.