Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iwanta914-6
I didn't spot a "new member intro" section so I threw it in here.

When I was a kid for some reason the 914 always caught my eye. My dad has had a Porsche since his purchace of a 1987 944T. He drove that for 22 years and now he's on his second 1997 993 Cabriolet.

Traveling around to Porsche club events (local and national) growing up I always hoped to someday own a 914-6. After finding out that the "6" is pretty hard to find and quite expensive, I've come to the realization that I might never own one.

Recently I've spotted a number of 914's crusing around town which got me thinking about them again.

So I'm here in this forum to read and learn about all things 914, perhaps I'll live my dream someday...

Karl
McMark
welcome.png

Welcome to the madness! biggrin.gif

Check out SirAndy's 914/6 in the cars for sale section. It's needs work, but if you're not afraid, it's got potential.

Edit: link to the ad
carr914
welcome.png . If ever there was a time to buy a 914-6, it is Now. Prices have come down from the frenzy they were in 2 years ago. This low will not last.

T.C.
tat2dphreak
welcome! you've come to the right place... we'll help all we can!
Ian Stott
Welcome to the club! Do you want only an original six or would you consider one that has a six put in it? I think ther may be a much better chance of getting a six if you are not looking for concours.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Gint
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jun 26 2009, 10:11 AM) *
I didn't spot a "new member intro" section so I threw it in here.

No, you found the right section. welcome.png
Lavanaut
welcome.png
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jun 26 2009, 10:11 AM) *

After finding out that the "6" is pretty hard to find and quite expensive, I've come to the realization that I might never own one.

You're right that they've gotten pretty expensive, but as someone new to 914s it will work to your advantage -- while you're on your ramen-only diet for the next couple years saving up funds to purchase a car, you'll have plenty of time to learn about them, most importantly what to look for when your time comes to purchase one! As far as sixes being hard to find, they're not really - what's hard to find is a really good one...for that you have to be patient (I looked for a year before deciding on one). Again though, this gives you time to get to know them, to see what's out there, good and bad, and to (hopefully) know the right car for you when you find it. Of course the learning doesn't stop there...

Be careful though! Once you get bit by the six bug there's no going back...ownership seems to be the only (temporary) cure! biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Reid
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

You have options with 914s. Look around.
70Sixter
Welcome! welcome.png

The -6 is not inexpensive to maintain. At least not to repair. The engine is very costly to rebuild, even just the top end.

So do not step lightly into a purchase. Buy the absolute best example you can find. Preferably one that is original as possible. Down to original paint if you can find one.

These cars are going to appreciate, and originals will appreciate most in the long term.

This site has everything to watch for as far as rust and problem areas in 914s, so research until your keyboard wears out. The -4 is also a fun car and the 2.0 73 is really a top notch find in good condition.

On the other hand used Boxsters are pretty reasonable these days. And good examples abound.
jsayre914
welcome.png

You will find the right car. Theres plenty of em out there. When you do find the one that is perfect, put it in the garage on jackstands like the rest of us. And we can talk about driving them laugh.gif
iwanta914-6
Thanks for all of the welcomes!

I'll definatly be taking my time and I'm a long ways away from the ability to purchase so I'll do as much research as I can while I attempt to save.

I found this locally, http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1235055604.html not a 6 but like I said I'm not in a position to purchase right now anyway, just looking to see what comments people might have on this one.

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 26 2009, 12:44 PM) *

welcome.png

You will find the right car. Theres plenty of em out there. When you do find the one that is perfect, put it in the garage on jackstands like the rest of us. And we can talk about driving them laugh.gif

av-943.gif
tat2dphreak
Buy the absolute best example you can find.

I CANNOT agree enough this one... buy a bad one and it is the biggest money pit... a more expensive one in the short run will save you a fortune in money and headaches in the long run...

I've seen NICE -6 conversions under 20k... while doing the same level of work yourself could easily cost you twice that in parts alone.

I found this locally, http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1235055604.html not a 6 but like I said I'm not in a position to purchase right now anyway, just looking to see what comments people might have on this one.

it looks nice, but the only important parts aren't mentioned... hell hole, longs, and it mentions a few things that will have o be looked at immediately.. for $4500, for a 70... that's a little high, but if the longs and hell hole are good, and solidly repaired... maybe, up there...

the side shift tranny is included, but you'll need several other parts to swap to it... if you want to take a look at it, I suggest having a board member help out with a PPI.
iamchappy
Karl, come out to the Porsche car show this Sunday the 28th, at Central Park in Roseville.

We can share with you what we know and see if we can help you find your 914 gem.

http://www.nordstern.org/EventID.asp?EventID=581
tdiddy
Welcome! Fellow MN'r here. You'll find a couple of us on here...though I've got by far the crappiest car in the bunch, which has also parked itself on jack stands.

Sunday at central park in Roseville the local chapter of the Porsche club is having a show, some of the finer 914's in MN and on this board will be there. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=Nordstern

Like others were saying, take your time and research, and have someone that knows what they're doing help you find one. I bought my first one last year and was way too emotional about it and I definitely overpaid.

Good luck in your pursuit and hope to see you around in a 914 of your own! Don't be afraid to check out the 4's as well, because you can always put a six in them.
iwanta914-6
I was wondering if there were any other MN'rs around here.

I haven't been to a Nordstern event since the early 90s as my dad was an avid member back then. I always enjoyed the club races up at brainerd I'll never forget a wreck in turn 10 where a black 944 lost it's brakes, went through the guard rail, through the fence, and hit a tree and he walked away...

Unfortunately there's no chance that I could make it this weekend.
PanelBilly
Those other guys are full of it. Buy the worst rust bucket you can and dump tons of money and years of work into it. Owning a 914 doesn't have to be a smart investment in value, it can be a smart investment in a relaxing activity. They are great cars to restore. Parts can be had (for the most part) and there's plenty of tech help out there.

Welcome to the insanity
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 26 2009, 03:04 PM) *

Those other guys are full of it. Buy the worst rust bucket you can and dump tons of money and years of work into it. Owning a 914 doesn't have to be a smart investment in value, it can be a smart investment in a relaxing activity. They are great cars to restore. Parts can be had (for the most part) and there's plenty of tech help out there.

Welcome to the insanity

Well for my first 914 I think I look for something that is already restored or in fair shape anyway.

Is there any particular year that is better than the rest? Subject to opinion I suppose. Also is it difficult to find a GT, I love the flared fenders!
McMark
There are differences, but in the big picture, they're all the same. Better to look for a good car and forget about the slight year differences.

Real GTs are über rare, but lots of cars have been made into replicas.

If you are on a limited budget go for the car that has all the basics taken care of, and deal with the aesthetics later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.