Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refurbished Riviera wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&PGirl
They rolled my car out of the field it was sunken into and rolled the car around the driveway. They looked so dog gone awful that my Dad at Christmas (of that year) got me a nice set of 5 late Mahles that had been refurbished.

Last year, I decided to mess with the Rivieras to do something about their awfulness. I finally finished them this morning. There are a few nicks, scratches, & paint blemishes, but their appearance improved by a 100 fold.

Last Wheel curing its clear coat
Click to view attachment

Other 3 after cleaned of garage dust
Click to view attachment

The first 2 I did several months ago has cured to a gloss
Click to view attachment
wheel 1
A&PGirl
wheel 2
Click to view attachment

Wheel I finished last week (note it does not have a gloss like the other 2)
Click to view attachment

All together waiting for the last wheel to cure
Click to view attachment
jt914-6
Looking good!!!! When is the car going to be going?????
A&PGirl
All done!
Click to view attachment

I spent about 30hrs cleaning the wheels, another 10hrs fixing what nicks & scratches I could on the wheels then about 2-3hrs of actual labor on prep&paint per wheel. This was stretched over a 6 month period because it was too cold to paint in the winter. I don't plan on keeping them because I have my pretty Mahles instead and my Dad doesn't what them because he has a nice set of early steel wheels in storage.

The skills I learned: Patience, masking is important, prepping is vital and razor blades do hurt.
A&PGirl
Well all the dirt work for the pad is done and we're taking quotes on how much the concrete is going to be. My car will be on that concrete pad being worked on while the main driveway can be used for other things.

If people want I can take a pic of where the pad will be.
watsonrx13
They look great.. aktion035.gif

BTW, what did you use to fill in the nicks/scratches? JP Weld, All-Metal?

-- Rob
A&PGirl
I did exactly what ricers do.

Bondo slap.gif

I do not recommend bondo on fuchs, mahles, perdrinis, minilites or steelies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.