Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got this old turbo charger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkjens
I've got this turbo charger from a Chevy small block single turbo set up. It spins freely and no FOD has travelled through it, so with minor maintenance it may be useable.
I read some numbers of the intake side:

Serial: FF0413
A.I.D. P.N. 465210-9
Model TO4B35

Can anybody tell me what this is, how much boost will it build on a 283CuI engine, etc.
I am sure it's a piece of crap, but I would like to build a crude carbureted turbo charged small block at some time.
tomeric914
Googled "TO4B35" and got:

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=290

Lots of other results as well, but CB gave specs on it.
dkjens
Yep, went and found that too. I guess I have to find out what 'Trim' and 'Turbine A/R' is on it to see what it's good for.
turnaround89
AR is normally stamped on the intake of the turbo..the turbo i bought has A/R .50 stamped into the side

If its in bad condition, maybe cleaning the turbo will reveal some of the stuff you need to know

How much boost the turbo builds depends on the wastegate you buy and what you set the spring at. A brand new turbo of that size can probably produce 25lbs of boost or more, but building an engine to handle that kind of pressure would cost some major green
craig3x
QUOTE(dkjens @ Jun 26 2009, 02:58 PM) *

I've got this turbo charger from a Chevy small block single turbo set up. It spins freely and no FOD has travelled through it, so with minor maintenance it may be useable.

A.I.D. P.N. 465210-9
Model TO4B35

Can anybody tell me what this is, how much boost will it build on a 283CuI engine, etc.
I am sure it's a piece of crap, but I would like to build a crude carbureted turbo charged small block at some time.

It is garbage. Please send it to me immediately so I can dispose of it. jester.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 27 2009, 02:30 AM) *

QUOTE(dkjens @ Jun 26 2009, 02:58 PM) *

A.I.D. P.N. 465210-9
Model TO4B35

It is garbage. Please send it to me immediately so I can dispose of it. jester.gif

The whole set-up is garbage, and only a tech, who owns an sbc 302 914 is qualified to dispose of this unit. Send me your paypal addy, and I will regretably dispose of this unit for you, and even pay the shipping, to make sure it is done properly.

aktion035.gif

(I am sure Clay will chime in here and say I don't even own a car...)
dkjens
I appreciate all the (not so) generous offers KMA.gif he he. I did a little taking apart and have a few photos to show. Still unable to locate the A/R number but at least it looks good, as in it turns well and there are no signs it sh!t going through it. If anybosy has an idea about how to find the A/R number I'd love to hear it.
dkjens
Mo pics.
dkjens
I found vague remnants of some stamped numbers but don't know what to make of it.
Cap'n Krusty
EIGHT replies and no one has told you the BEST use for this thing? I can't believe it!
Well, actually, I can. The spirit of adventure and innovation no longer resides here ...........

Try this: http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

The Cap'n, always happy to help
charliew
I'm only familiar with suby turbos but the one you have seems awful small for even a 283. Course if all you are doing is fooling around go for it. 7psi or .5 bar will be like going from a 283 to a good 325hp 350 maybe more but I don't think so. To make 7lbs of boost the turbo must exceed the na requirement of the motor. If you are sure it was a good turbo setup on a 283 then try it out especially if you also have all the plumbing. If you don't have the plumbing it's a lot of work. I'm sure the net can provide the formula for the cfm requirements for the 283 if the ve is known. I would guess a turbo 283 would get better gas mileage off boost than a good na 350. Check out the turbo kits for the 4.6 newer motors and see what their specs are.

I'm just curious what part of the dissassembly was the funny looking hammer used for?
Cap'n Krusty
What better tool for a frozen bearing than an ice axe?

The Cap'n
dkjens
The hammer was just for little love taps to get the intake housing loose. You guys are brutal he he.
charliew
Hope you used the wooden part.
ClayPerrine
Turbochargers are designed to work with a specific displacement engine. The pressure map must map the normally aspirated volumetric efficiency of the engine. Otherwise all you are doing is making noise. Too small of a turbo will come up to max boost really quick and you will get lots of off the line power, but nothing else. Too big of a turbo and you get the infamous "turbo lag" problem.

If you want to turbo a Type IV (and I will say it first... "You can't turbo a 914") get the turbo from a 80's vintage Dodge with the 2.2L 4 cylinder. The turbo map fits the Type IV really well.

As for what you have, the numbers on the tag should tell you what it is. Turbos start with a fairly standard size for the turbine section, and the trim alters the pressure map to fit a particular engine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.