Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: noid test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
can this be done only on a poorly running motor?

or can the test be done by just cranking the motor over?

my motor runs like crap - so i planned to plug the injector wire from one injector to the noid and start the motor - and with motor running go to the engine bay to see how the noid is reacting - is this correct?

jim
SLITS
Both ... it will flash while cranking and flash more rapdily while running. No flash is a bad thing.
pcar916
I've gotten the best results on a running motor by putting it on each injector, one at a time, and comparing the fire rate at idle. In my case there was no difference.

This is a quick and simple test, but it won't tell you the flow-rate and spray-pattern of the injectors.

Turned out that my injectors needed cleaning. $20 at a local industrial injection place that does all kinds of diesel work. They had the proper replacement 0-rings and gave me a data-sheet with the results of each injector.

But I also had a weak coil (unusual that) which complicated the diagnosis, but it's all good now.

Good Luck
Katmanken
Best way is to connect the noid to the connectors. Wiggle the wires when the noid is in place and th eengine is running to look for shorts....

If it stops flashing, you have a problem- probably at the connector and wire junction.....

Bad coil?

Was it one of the infamous bad blues?
pcar916
QUOTE(kwales @ Jun 28 2009, 09:10 AM) *

Best way is to connect the noid to the connectors. Wiggle the wires when the noid is in place and th eengine is running to look for shorts....

If it stops flashing, you have a problem- probably at the connector and wire junction.....

Bad coil?

Was it one of the infamous bad blues?

Nope, 3.6L has two coils, one went bad but not totally. Hard to diagnose. Fine at idle but not at speed, an oscilloscope showed the offending coil. I don't have a "hammer".

I had a blue coil with my previous 2.7L motor and it was just fine with a 6-AL unit... but that's another story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.