Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk latch question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
OK, I know I'm not alone here. My rear trunk won't always stay latched. I'll close it, it feels closed, then I go for a drive and it's open again. Which part is usually the culprit? The cone thing (male piece) on the trunk lid itself.....or is the the receiver end that is attached to the body? Oh yeah, my car is a '74. And does anyone have extra parts to fix this? THANKS!
EdwardBlume
Both sides wear... the catch and the receiver... You can try and reposition them and see if you can get a little more life out of them...
tod914
Craig the top latch can be adjusted. Loosen the two bolts that secure it to the deck lid. push is slighty to the rear of the car and test it. Will probally take a few tries to get it right. When I did it, I pushed the male end foward and left it slightly loose so it would self adjust.
craig3x
Thanks for the advice! I will give it a try
craig3x
....oh yeah, Has anyone had any luck trying to modify it with a grinder to sharpen the edges? sawzall-smiley.gif
zonedoubt
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 28 2009, 09:49 AM) *

....oh yeah, Has anyone had any luck trying to modify it with a grinder to sharpen the edges? sawzall-smiley.gif

Grinding a clean profile on the pin may work for a little while. The problem is that material has been removed over time by wear, so removing more material isn't the fix. What I did was remove the pin from the car, add more material with a welder, then reshape the notch until the fit was good. Seems to be holding up well.
CliffBraun
Yeah, I've seen these welded up a few times on here. Can't recall the thread though. I'd just throw some more material on and grind it down to a shape that worked, of course, I can wander to a couple places and use a welder, so YMMV.
stepuptotheMike
Was having same problem with mine and I replaced the male portion. Actually ordered replacements for both, but the bottom portion was in back-order hell and I just cancelled that part. Ended up just replacing the male end fixed it.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.