Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
I bought this chassis the way it sits, and noticed (obviously) that the guy had removed the chrome pices that usually go around the rear window area and replaced it with this rubber trim which doesn't look good since it can't make the 90 degree angle. I don't want to replace the chrome, but want to fix this bad look. Do they make a custom trim for this? What have other people done?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
geniusanthony
Short of shaving off the lip and the associated bodywork involved in that, the trim can be had cheaply. Then if you dont like the chrome you could black it out, colormatch, etc.
stepuptotheMike
agree.gif Replace the trim and black it out.

Mike
Gint
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 28 2009, 10:58 AM) *
What have other people done?

I suspect most if not all of them have put the trim back on.

I have seen the overlap cut off and welded up and then ground smooth and painted. I recall a red 914 with that treatment a few years ago.
craig3x
does that chrome trim have a proper name or description so that I can start looking for it?
EdwardBlume
McMark's car - the orange smasher has this area cut and cleaned. It looks awesome.

craig3x
wow, that does look nice! Unfortunately, that is not an option for me. maybe when I'm ready to really hammer down and clean up the body
EdwardBlume
OK, I'll bite, how about pinstripes? or a world logo?
bembry
Whoa--that rubber trim the PO put on looks like a$$--I agree with some of the above--put on trim and black it out. Per your question: I've just seen it called "roll bar trim". If you are blacking it out, you can maybe get away with ugly used (and therefore cheaper) pieces and paint them up.
craig3x
ok, so I found those trim pieces in the classifieds, but the guy wants $120. Does that seem right?
VaccaRabite
Good god no!

I bought some on Ebay for $20 last year.

And then scuffed, primed, and painted it to match my body.

Zach
craig3x
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 28 2009, 06:22 PM) *

Good god no!

Zach

Thanks Zach, good to know!
RJMII
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96165

This guy has a set for $30 that would look good in paint.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 28 2009, 06:22 PM) *

Good god no!

Zach

poke.gif lock this thread... he said "god" av-943.gif
neil30076
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 28 2009, 05:12 PM) *

ok, so I found those trim pieces in the classifieds, but the guy wants $120. Does that seem right?

PM sent -
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.