Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scared me to death
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I saw this, this morning when I went out to the garage. I parked it yesterday after golf and everything seemed fine so what a surprise. I thought I killed it.
ericread
Well... popcorn[1].gif
DNHunt
It turns out I blew up an Accusump. The end cap was off and remnants of the threads were on the cap.

As far as I can tell I overtightened the cap when I tightened the AN fitting and galled the threads. I'm not sure how come it picked my garage to fail in instead of on the road but, I'm thankful. There is plenty of oil in the sump of the engine so I feel pretty lucky. I think I'm getting off easy just replacing the Accusump.

Dave
messix
finally some good luck?! confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
hissyfit.gif Luckily golf can prepare you for disappointment... hissyfit.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

It's nice to hear about something that was thought to be a catastrophe turn out

so well. Better a new Accusump than a new engine. And OH; isn't that the mission

of the Accusump to sacrifice itself for the sake of the engine. Even we caused it!

Dave slap.gif
DNHunt
The only problem I have with the whole thing is I know I screwed up. I feel kind of like a guy that tightens the nuts on the toilet bowl to stop a small leak only to find out you need a new toilet when it cracks.
URY914
Nothin' runs like a Deere.... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I had heard that dentists have one of the highest suicide rates in the world. I guess it is because so many of them own 914's!!! blink.gif

What did you do to your Accusump Dave?
J P Stein
I put about 10 quarts on my shop floor one time. I did a modified stationary panic.
They shoot 914s, don't they?
KELTY360
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 28 2009, 05:28 PM) *

I feel kind of like a guy that tightens the nuts on the toilet bowl to stop a small leak only to find out you need a new toilet when it cracks.

...and you know this how?
jimtab
Apparently....you are too much Man for an accusump....... rolleyes.gif av-943.gif
pete-stevers
glad to see it happened at home dave!!!!
sww914
Did that, but mine popped in a corner at Buttonwillow. Hot oil on race tires is pretty slippery, I found out. I got the best deal on a new one at Livermore Performance. Super nice guys, they let me pick up a pair of shoes at their house once on a Saturday on my way to the track, mine were out of date.
My problem was that I hadn't clamped it right over the threads.
Project 6
Happened to me recently, 10 quarts in a gas station 100 miles from home. Hose clamps, pair of pliers, and hose clamps fixed it. Case of oil and I was on my way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.