Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No turn signals!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener

I've been having this issue with my turn signals. Sometimes they would work and sometimes they didn't confused24.gif I thought maybe it was the switch so I swapped it out with another one I have but it didn't help. Actually they don't work at all now. I cleaned the metal on the steering wheel that contacts the turn signal switch. I checked my fuses and they are all good. I did notice that if I had the turn signal on with the key on the side marker light will stay on. Any suggestions on what to do next. I'm at a loss!

thanks

Scott
inschool

Have you checked for power at the turn signal/flasher unit?
ericread
How about providing the year of the car. Different year 914's have different steering wheel controls.

Split the problem in half. Start with either the circuit between the battery and the relay or the relay to the lights.

My advice: Start with the relay to light circuit. Drop the relay board (under the dash) and check the fittment of the relays. Then with the car off, temporarily run a positive line from the battery to the positive side of the trace (relay output). Check to see if your signals light. If not, time to check grounds and circuit continuiety.

However, I would bet that the problem is on the other side of the relay. I just like to check the easy to test part first so that I know I'm not wasting my time.

Eric
jt914-6
Does the emergency flasher work? On some 914's the flasher and turn signal use the same relay.
914's are designed to have the park lights come on when the signal switch is depressed left or right when the key is off or removed. Just the side that is depressed will come on (left lights on if depressed left) Designed for parking on narrow streets in Europe to let the car be seen better when parked.....
silverteener

Did I mention I hate electrical problems! It's a 72. my flashers will still work but no turn signals. I'll start tracing things tonight. I did mention I hate electrical right?? mad.gif

Thanks

Scott
silverteener
I ran a jumper to #49 that the relay plugs into. It made my fuel pump run for a couple seconds but my turn signals still didn't work. confused24.gif I also found the ground under the dash and it was tight. I'm not sure where to go from here. Did I mention I hate electrical headbang.gif
904svo
Pull up the EM brake handle with the key on the Brake lamp in the gauge should work, if not remove the gas gauge and ground the black/white wire on the brake light bulb socket, if this works (lamp flashes) the black/white wire to the emergency switch (49A) is not connected or open. The black/green wire which is also connected to 49A, which runs to the turn signal switch thru the connector on the sterring column may not be making connection. ( First thing to check).

Try this and let me know.
buhs914
you could check the bulbs.. if they have different filaments it could be a resistance issue.. had a similar problem in mine
silverteener
904svo

I did what you said and grounded the black/white wire on the brake light bulb socket and it did flash. I could also hear a clicking sound. So does this mean the emergency flasher switch is bad. I also checked the connections under the dash and they are tight. I found the ground under the dash and it is also tight. The bulbs up front were a little corrided and I had to rip them out with pliers. I put new ones back in. I also checked the rear lights and they are ok. Please let me know.. I miss driving.gif

thanks

Scott
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Jul 2 2009, 08:11 PM) *

904svo

I did what you said and grounded the black/white wire on the brake light bulb socket and it did flash. I could also hear a clicking sound. So does this mean the emergency flasher switch is bad. I also checked the connections under the dash and they are tight. I found the ground under the dash and it is also tight. The bulbs up front were a little corrided and I had to rip them out with pliers. I put new ones back in. I also checked the rear lights and they are ok. Please let me know.. I miss driving.gif

thanks

Scott

Ground the black/green wire on the bottom of the steering column plug, this
connector may not be plug in all the way. Which I supect is your problem.
There are two black/green wires one for the right turn signal the other is for the flasher. You may also have a bad turn signal switch.
silverteener
this is probably a stupid question but i'm not good at this electrical stuff. How do I ground the black/green wire on the bottom of the steering column plug. Do I just put a wire in the plug and put it on metal? Will the turn signals work if I ground this wire? thanks! Like is sad, I suck at this stuff!
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Jul 2 2009, 08:32 PM) *

this is probably a stupid question but i'm not good at this electrical stuff. How do I ground the black/green wire on the bottom of the steering column plug. Do I just put a wire in the plug and put it on metal? Will the turn signals work if I ground this wire? thanks! Like is sad, I suck at this stuff!

Remove the plug and ground it. connect the two black/green toghter and the right turn singal should work. If it does you have a bad turn-signal switch.
silverteener
I'm still trying to get this figured out. I found this yellow and red wire that came out of the plug that connects to the turn signal switch under the dash. Could this be my problem confused24.gif all the other wires were firmly connected.

thanks

Scott
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Jul 5 2009, 12:38 PM) *

I'm still trying to get this figured out. I found this yellow and red wire that came out of the plug that connects to the turn signal switch under the dash. Could this be my problem confused24.gif all the other wires were firmly connected.

thanks

Scott

Yellow/red is used for turn on the high beams.
silverteener
yeah,

It didn't work. I fixed the wire and decided to put my old turn signal lever/switch back on and they were working again...but, then while out for a drive they stopped... then a few turns later they started working again. confused24.gif
904svo
sounds like you need a turn/signal switch.
silverteener
so... do you have one biggrin.gif

I'll look around and see if I can find one,
thanks for the advise.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.