Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to get the engine quieter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
My neighbor has been complaining about how loud my car is and i really respect my neighbor, hes help me out plenty of times, so i want to stop pissing him off. How can i get my car to quiet down some? Its a 1972 1.7L dual carb'd motor...theres a glasspack on it now
tat2dphreak
theres a glasspack on it now

proper muffler will go a long way. the cars are loud... period... but a dual carb with a glasspack is VERY loud.

OE muffler is probably the quietest.

I had a monza (dual outlet type) on my old 1.7... it set off car alarms in every parking lot...
Grelber
I've got a 2.0L w/ dual Webers running a Bursch. Not quite as loud as Wayne's was, but you definitely know when I crank it up.
McMark
The stock muffler is really nice. It's quiet, so it's not for the noise-lovers. But for someone who's looking for something that works well and is much more tame sounding, the OE muffler can't be beat.

Triad is much more aggressive under power, but is still fairly quiet at idle/low rpm. Not as quiet as stock, but certainly less than a single glasspack.

I ran a single glass pack on one of my recent motor fire ups, and the volume was completely identical to running it with open pipes.
lotus_65
seems like i can keep my bursch down when i want to, while creeping.

keep the raintray on the engine lid, that'll help.
i have actually added eggshell foam padding to the top of the lid to hopefully tamp down the bark from my 40's. not much help, but a little.

do what you can, then cook them some bbq dinner-

thefleur
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Grelber @ Jun 29 2009, 06:16 PM) *

I've got a 2.0L w/ dual Webers running a Bursch. Not quite as loud as Wayne's was, but you definitely know when I crank it up.

yea, that 1.7 with the monza, dual webers and rusty ass H/Es... saying it was "fuckin LOUD" doesn't cut it...

from what I understand, those monza mufflers are SHIT too...

the one on my car now looks like they cut a bursch off and welded a flowmaster on, it's pretty quiet at idle, but opens up nicely biggrin.gif

my neighbors piss ME off all the time... so WTF do I care if they get pissed off some too... share the love biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jun 29 2009, 06:05 PM) *

My neighbor has been complaining about how loud my car is and i really respect my neighbor, hes help me out plenty of times, so i want to stop pissing him off. How can i get my car to quiet down some? Its a 1972 1.7L dual carb'd motor...theres a glasspack on it now

Go to Autozone.
Get a "cherry bomb" brand muffler...but the oval one...
Its the Exact same muffler as the Bursch..

Bring the muffler and the car to meineke and have them cut off the glass pack and weld on the new oval muffler...

Total cost for the muffler was $15.00

Rich
orange914
i say don't forget the swivel rockers TOO smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.