Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wife hit a SUV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Sad

last week Wife hit suv in my 914. everyone is ok... but
beech4rd
Commiserations . That's too bad. Your car appears to have been in great condition. Still, it looks fixable. Good luck.
Chris
jmill
Your damage looks similar if not better than mine. It's very fixable. Up in our neck of the woods good cars are hard to find.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=progress
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jun 29 2009, 07:04 PM) *

Sad

last week Wife hit suv in my 914. everyone is ok... but

Glad to hear everyone survived.

I really don't see a major problem with repairs.

You ARE insured as a classic, right?
Pat
dflesburg
That looks like a total loss.

I am willing to take the carcass off your hands. I shouldnt, but I will give you $500.

Because you are from Obama Land.
orthobiz
Last time I did that my tranny was dragging in the back! You're lucky but what a heartache.
20 plus years ago and I still have nightmares about it!

Paul
GeorgeRud
We need to keep the car in Obamaland! It's obviously crashed way beyond what any reasonable person would want to repair, so it must be a total loss! To prevent you from trying to foist the car on some other unsuspecting soul, I'd also be willing to buy the carcass.

Seriously, it certainly looks very repairable. Bodywerks of Barrington had a good reputation, but I haven't heard much about them recently. You might want to call Sol Snyderman at Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove, or Peter Fischer at Fischer Motors in Barrington to get their recommendations for a good body shop. If you can't find a good bodyshop, and don't mind a bit of traveling, contact Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd in Peoria. I'm sure they'll be able to help you get it repaired properly, and he has a painter down there that is familiar with 914s.
qa1142
yes, Brad and I talked... one estimate coming in form Barrington body works and one from Barrington Coach House. both were recommended.

really not that bad, fenders are un touched, it really just took the bumperettes and smeared them across the front.

Driving lights are still on one piece.

let you knw as I know more.
Elliot Cannon
You let your wife drive the 914?? driving-girl.gif
qa1142
first quote $4993 sawzall-smiley.gif

Barrington Coach Haus
jimkelly
ouch - i was afraid of that : (

--

QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jun 30 2009, 03:37 PM) *

Barrington Coach Haus

914z

Barrington Coach Haus

This sounds a bit high, and I live in LOST ANGELES, CALIF and that's a bit high unless it's top of the line premium work. Call 914ltd. and also check with the local PCA chapter. I know the dreaded CORPERATION but they have helped in the past.

qa1142
Premium

Advertises in Chicago PCA magazine

We will see what 2nd quote comes in at
byndbad914
QUOTE(914z @ Jun 30 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Barrington Coach Haus

This sounds a bit high, and I live in LOST ANGELES, CALIF and that's a bit high unless it's top of the line premium work. Call 914ltd. and also check with the local PCA chapter. I know the dreaded CORPERATION but they have helped in the past.

actually when I lived in Orange County it was easy to find good body work cheap for me - I had a guy pull right in front of me, got on the brakes but bent the front back worse than that and crumpled the hood. I found a front clip for a couple hundred bucks and a guy cut the nose off and welded in the patch, had an extra hood from a couple dismantles I did, etc. I know I was out only around $500 for the repair. That is 1999 prices, but I have to think it hasn't rocketed that bad! $500 without paint BTW, but I can't imagine finding another $4K in paint and body work there.

Keep looking - find a guy that works at one of the recommended shops, then figure out how to catch him after work for a cash quote in his garage, buy a front clip if he feels that is easier to splice in, etc. Then just get a good repaint. You should be able to repaint the whole freakin' car with repair work for $5K!!!!!
qa1142
2nd estimate came in at just under $6100, this guy does want to put front clip on...

That price does not include a hood or bumper, that's nuts. headbang.gif

Sent the first estimate in, and should hear from Insurance this week.

Anyone know a GOOD and CHEAP body shop in Chicago?

These guys that do restorations are off the chart...

Wish me luck.

Question, if they total it, do they take my car too? WTF.gif
type47fan
Glad everybody is fine. Sorry to see the damage and the hassle ahead of you.

Looks like your OEM spoiler didn't survive . . . .

Good luck,
GaroldShaffer
Will,

I have a few good front trunk lids. You are welcome to come and take one if you want. I can check my stash and see about a good front bumper also. I will PM you.

pktzygt
I thought the same think when I totalled mine for a $8,000 insurance payout and roughly a $5950 profit. I felt like i wanted to cry for destroying the car but the insurance company wouldn't let me buy it back. I did however tip off some people with dealership licences as to where and when the auction was and rolled the money into a nicer car.

I hope you either get it fixed or at least make out like a bandit.

Good luck
thtiming
I have a guy who owns a very small paint shop here in Valparaiso, IN. He does complete car tear downs and restorations on all kinds of cars, new and old.

If you get the parts I'm sure he could take care of all of your body repair needs at a very reasonable price.

Todd
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
On the lighter side-

If she only wasn't driveing a 914 !!! She could have got a TROPHY for taking out

a SUV.

Let us know the out come with your Ins company. BTW who are they?

Dave slap.gif
jmill
5 to 6K! You have got to be kidding me. How close are you to Racine, WI? If your not that far I can help you out. I bet we can have that sucker straight in a weekend. Take the front bumper off and take some good pictures of the damage so I can see how bad it is. I might even have the pieces you need. I have a whole front clip sitting in my garage. I offered it up to another member in MN but he hasn't come through yet. Did you check out my thread? My damage was way worse than that and it only took a $250 passenger side clip.
qa1142
I will let you all know... should hear this week

Toast
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentI had a front end boo boo a few years back. I think it may have been worse than yours, but cant say. Here are pics of the wreck and "after" pictures.

Toast
morning1.gif
Toast
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Toast
Click to view attachment

This fix cost me about $4500. dry.gif But had alot of help from members here! Thanks! You know who you are. aktion035.gif
qa1142
Approved by insurance, have to send in copy of my title is all that is left.

Plan to be driving this month again beerchug.gif

driving.gif

aktion035.gif
siverson
How'd it turn out?
mipstien
reading all these reply's and no one even mentioned that this car should just go under neath the suv. how did she ramp in up that high? are you sure she gave you the whole story? evil kenivel never ramped 914's that im aware of.......
hot_shoe914
Why was she putting on lipstick while driving your car? confused24.gif
jim_hoyland
popcorn[1].gif How did it come out ? smile.gif
charliew
Midget suv I think. That looks like the hood may not even be hurt, it's just bowed up from the latch being pushed back. One headlight bucket is messed up and might have a bent innerfender well but maybe not. I hope they try to pull the front panel out before trying to get the hood open. It probably ony needs the front panel pulled out and new bumper parts. Is there any paint missing off the hood? If it was my wife I would at first glance think 1st instead of reverse in the garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.