Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper hose - Crank breather to Carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TMMorgan
I have a '75 1.8 that a friend has given me (nicest thing anyone has ever done for me). I spent the Spring working on the electrical and I am 98% of the way there. The car was a Frankenstein of 3 cars so it has not been on the road in its current setup. I am good with electrical but a rookie with mechanical.

- Below the oil cap is what looks to be the crank case vent
- On the single 4 barrel carb is an air intake fitting

I called Pelican to ask if they carried a hose and they did not have a part specific for the application. A friend of mine warned me a valve should be in place to prevent oil from being sucked into the carburator. Pelican recommended I look to a VW supplier for a filter used in many VW's.

Can anyone give me some direction. Picture attached. Thank you!

Click to view attachment

neil30076
Probably not needed - but if you want one go to your local Napa and get a generic VW bug PCV valve and install in the hose.
McMark
Your setup is not a factory setup, so the answer is.... whatever works.

You won't need a PCV valve. Just a piece of hose. PCV valve doesn't do anything to remove oil from the vapor, it's simply a spring loaded valve that only allows air to flow in one direction.

If you're worried about oil vapor gumming up your carb (which is sometimes valid) you should look into a breather box setup.
r_towle
BMW oil hose...go to the dealer.
Best stuff I have found, high temp and it can handle the hot oil.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.