Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 with no targa vinyl from the factory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ghuff
Poking around my 75, I can't seem to feel any filler in the back of the sail panels as if it had targa vinyl that was filled in.....

It's an original Anacona blue metallic car, and it appears to have all the original drivetrain in it....

Did some come with no targa vinyl from the factory?
tod914
Has the car been repainted? It's unlikely that it did not come with it in 75 model year. Is the sail trim black or polished metal? One of the sites, I can't recall, has alot of the different brouchures. There is a french add for a 75 model year with no sail vinal.
ghuff
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 29 2009, 11:11 PM) *

Has the car been repainted? It's unlikely that it did not come with it in 75 model year. Is the sail trim black or polished metal? One of the sites, I can't recall, has alot of the different brouchures. There is a french add for a 75 model year with no sail vinal.

Yes it has been repainted, however I do not see any body filler on the backside up in there, and the undercoating is still good and factory :|

Maybe some of the leftover LE/Can am chassis were just built as regular cars and did not get it?

I have holes for the sail panel trim, and the one piece that came with the car was polished metal.

I will look again to be sure but there is no filler there where the chrome would go over the bottom of the vinyl across the sail panel
Pat Garvey
popcorn[1].gif
Pat
ghuff
I should clarify I have holes for the rear sail panel trim that faces the back of the car, not the side stuff that would have been at the bottom of the vinyl.

Weird.....?

Some late cars come without vinyl?
ghuff
I mean am I wrong? I was reading somewhere else that the lower chrome trim removal would leave holes to be filled, and I would find evidence of them being filled on my repaint.....

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 30 2009, 12:11 AM) *

There is a french add for a 75 model year with no sail vinal.

Can you find and post this ad Tod? I looked thru all my collection and did not see it, don't recall it.

1975 model year cars all were supposed to have had factory Targa vinyl as standard equipment, which would include the lowere horiz. trim piece and holes.
ghuff
I will be heading over to the car shortly in the next few hours to pickup a box of goodies being delivered for it, a whole bunch of cables, clevis pins, shift bushings and other assorted make your 914's inputs feel new again bits.

I will double check inbetween the body panels since the rockers are off and look for filler coming through, and any abnormalities or missing undercoating, then report back.

ghuff
Off the top of my head my vin is 47529019 if I remember right heh.

underthetire
Wouldn't a leftover LE chassis have the front bumper reinforcement piece in the trunk? I understand they did away with that for the larger bumpers.

tod914
Good point Under. The 75 76 has different bumpers and clips on the chasis. Probally a few other minor differences.
sixerdon
Fascinating.
Do you have the sidemarkers on the fenders? It looks like the rear trim on the sail panel in the photo is black. Also, your vin is missing two important digits.
Any signs on your car that would indicate this to be a euro delivery??
Don
ghuff
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 1 2009, 06:50 PM) *

Fascinating.
Do you have the sidemarkers on the fenders? It looks like the rear trim on the sail panel in the photo is black. Also, your vin is missing two important digits.
Any signs on your car that would indicate this to be a euro delivery??
Don

Don,
hey there. I will grab the vin tomorrow, unfortunately I became busy at work and was unable to get back to the car tonight.

It had front fender side markers, however the PO had them "shaved" by the bodyshop who painted the car.

With the rest of the body work I can see filler poking through the back panels here/there, and seeing none up there inbetween was interesting since I envisioned crappy rust repair from where I was thinking it was guaranteed to have rusted under the vinyl.

I am quite sure the car was US delivery 100% since it has CAT/EGR lights on the instrument cluster from it being an original california car.

I also removed 1/2 the EGR system myself, since the previous owner swapped to an earlier set of exhaust headers without egr.
sixerdon
A CA delivery will eliminate any French debate. Get your vin, chassis number & build date. That will tell you at least when the car was built.
Don
ghuff
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 1 2009, 07:23 PM) *

A CA delivery will eliminate any French debate. Get your vin, chassis number & build date. That will tell you at least when the car was built.
Don

Where is the chassis number?

The build date is 2/75
sixerdon
If it's 2/75, then it's a mid year build and can't be tied to a leftover '74.
The chassis number is on the plate in the trunk or door jamb.
Don
tod914
Don, I noticed in Gust's advers, that the same applied for England & Germany. Same add run for the 3 different countries.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If the rear roll bar is painted black (black anodized) rather than chrome (silver anodized) then the car could have been delivered with the roll bar vinyl delete. Silver anodized means that the car had side vinyl at one time. Is the top of the targa bar painted? It would be shiny and the color of the car.
I would say that if the owner repainted the car and removed the side markers, that he removed the side vinyl as well
ghuff
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 9 2009, 02:46 PM) *

If the rear roll bar is painted black (black anodized) rather than chrome (silver anodized) then the car could have been delivered with the roll bar vinyl delete. Silver anodized means that the car had side vinyl at one time. Is the top of the targa bar painted? It would be shiny and the color of the car.
I would say that if the owner repainted the car and removed the side markers, that he removed the side vinyl as well

Ok here is the VIN

2/75 build date.

I will look for the chassis number and jack the car up in my garage and feel around for filler in the holes Last time I was under there I did not see any filler along the sails and I was peeling off factory undercoating with my hands.

Heading over now to unload a GTi full of boxes and I will scope this out. I am curious and have been neglecting this for a bit.

dr914: none of the original roll bar/sail trim came with the vehicle. The PO repainted it ancona without what I think was some lead additive maybe from hearing the discussions here? It is a little darker and more purple than the original ancona I am finding which is perfect under the undercoating.
ghuff
I found two filled holes along the bottom of the sail panel horizontally inside.

They are there I guess, so it did have sail/targa vinyl.

Mystery solved, that seems like the one place on the car they used filler properly.

headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.