Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 speedometer removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
Hi, I need to remove the speedometer in my '74 914. The needle still works but both odometers stopped. I want to repair it and put it back in in order to preserve original mileage (54K)

What is the most efficient way to do so?

Must I remove the steering wheel? Is this a simple procedure for a mechanically challenged 914 owner?
Thanks
Steve
Porsche Rescue
This question might be best answered in the "Garage". But here's mine:
Easiest to remove the steering wheel, not certain if necessary, but I always do. Need large socket, 27mm or 1 1'16" I think.
Gauges are held in by the rubber ring so you just pull them out. Take the tach out first, disconnect and mark/diagram the wires. Then reach in the vacant tach hole and unscrew the cable from the speedo. Pull it out, again taking care to remove and mark the wires.
70Sixter
Mark the steering wheel location so reinstall will be easy to line up.

Repair is not simple for me or for a "mechanically challenged" owner. Getting the trim ring back on the speedo was the hardest part. Pelican has instructions IIRC.

I'd send it to a shop for repair. Seems like a member here does it. If not North Hollywood has always done well for me in the past.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(swm914 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:01 AM) *

Hi, I need to remove the speedometer in my '74 914. The needle still works but both odometers stopped. I want to repair it and put it back in in order to preserve original mileage (54K)

What is the most efficient way to do so?

Must I remove the steering wheel? Is this a simple procedure for a mechanically challenged 914 owner?
Thanks
Steve

Steve,

It's far easier to remove the wheel. And it's easy, and in they way.

Grab the horn ring, push down, and turn it left. You'll reach a stop. Wiggle it a little & it'll come off. You'll be faced with a BIG nut(forget the dimensions - someone help out here). Before you remove the nut (did I say BIG) mark the top position of the spline with a red Sharpie, so you'll know where to re-position the wheel. Remove nut & wheel & you'll have much easier access to the speedo, which also comes out easily.

On the speedo assy, push from the rear slightly, to remove it from the pod. Unscrew the sender , mark the indicator wires, remove the wires & pop it out the front. Easy.

Send the speedo to Palo Alto, or someone else reputable. Have it taken apart cleaned & re-calibrated. Get it back - put it in in reverse order.

Hint....while you're in there, you may want to do the same with the other instuments. They get fogged up over the years.

Nevertheless, they all are easier to access if the wheel is removed - just be certain to mark the wheel position on the spline.

Easy job, even for me!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.