Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! What Do I Look For in Fuchs 2L Alloys?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
Okay All you CW Experts -

After looking at a number of wheels available out there, I REALLY need some CW input on what I need to look for in a "proper" set of the Fuchs 2L Alloys - before I spend a bunch of bucks on the wrong thing!

I do know that my early-1973 914-2.0 ("914S" - sorry Pat smile.gif ) was supposed to have been delivered with a full compliment of 5 Fuchs 2L Alloys, along with the rest of the Appearance & Performance Groups' optional equipment - as were ALL 1973 MY 2Ls based upon my research.

But when I bought mine in 12/75 38+/- months old, it had been stripped of them & had/has 4 Rivieras & steel spare (possibly a cheaper way out of the recalls below for the dealer?). Now that I'm restoring it, I want to get another set of 5 2L Alloys - & preferably in or restored to a condition in which the car could be shown.

One complicating factor, was that my VIN was under the BO/BH Recall during the early part of the 1973 MY for 914s delivered up to Dec. 1972, such that dealers could have taken off the "wrong Alloys" lacking the center hole inset ring for the "new for `73" self-centering front hubs with which the car was shipped from PAG. The recall letters from VW/Porsche\Audi to dealers, which I found at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 SIG website, states that the dealers should replace them with steel wheels temporarily if no proper fitment alloys were available - until such later date as the alloys were available from VW/Porsche at a later date.

Ergo - if mine had been one built at the factory with the wrong alloys, had them temporarily replaced with steelies, then later replaced with later manufactured proper alloys - then those mfgr dates on the wheels would not have matched the car's build date anyway!? huh.gif

So - How important - if at all - is it for me to get:

1. A Mfgr. Date stamped on the back which is either:
.......A. Just within the 1973 MY ?? - &/or
.......B. dated at or prior to my 9/72 build date or 11/9/72 sale date??

> or is any year okay? confused24.gif

2. How important is having ALL 5 Wheels Matching from the same car &/or with the same Mfgr. Date stamp, etc.??

> or is it okay to get them 1-5 at a time from various sources & not matching???? confused24.gif

WTF.gif

Others here have already clarified for me that they were supposed to be a full set of 5; & the proper finish as a satin or matte anodized background with semi-polished "windmill blades" & rims! THANX MUCH!!!! smile.gif

DECEMBER 1972 MAGAZINE AD FOR THE "914S" (914-2.0):

Click to view attachment

CLOSE UP OF AD TEXT FOR "914S" (914-2.0):

Click to view attachment

DETAIL FROM EARLY 1974 PORSCHE 914 SALES BROCHURE SHOWING WHEELS & OTHER INCLUDED OPTIONS ON THE "914S" (914-2.0):

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith
Tom:

I've not located the recall notice you mention, however my first question is, are you sure it was for the Fuchs alloy and not the Pedrini?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 2 2009, 02:43 PM) *

Tom:

I've not located the recall notice you mention, however my first question is, are you sure it was for the Fuchs alloy and not the Pedrini?

The BO & BH Recalls are at the bottom of the link below, & the links in the right column go to scanned pages of th deal letters.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Recalls.htm

BO applies to the Fuchs 2L Alloys on 2.0's like mine (VIN...1954), BH to the M485 option's alloys - Pedrini & 4-lig Mahles I think (& for far less cars).
914Sixer
Make sure they have 914 part numbers stamped in each wheel. Lots of AE repros out there. They used what ever they had on the line. The same month and year would be better for concours restoration.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 3 2009, 11:30 AM) *

Make sure they have 914 part numbers stamped in each wheel. Lots of AE repros out there. They used what ever they had on the line. The same month and year would be better for concours restoration.

Yes, I've been very careful to make sure that they have the part no. ending in -01 (for self-centering hub fitment), VW & mfgr date stamp & Fuchs "fox head" logo, but am unsure if some alternatives dated into late 1973 would be acceptable for concours resto?

Given that mine was most probably delivered with the wrong alloys initially, & then changed out under the BO Recall (for the Fuchs on the then "new" 2Ls, see at link I posted above).

So even a "correct" early 73 2L might have OE Fuchs from a couple of months or perhaps up to a year later, depending upon when dealer "x" finally got his replacement wheels shipment from PAG/VW America?? After all, they instructed them to pull off the wheels immediately & replace with steel wheels, send in the old alloys & wait!

So I doubt that they were too concerned about getting same mfgr. date wheels back to them, & they may have had Fuchs machine in the self-centering inset on the old "wrong" wheels, then place them on later 914s as well!? huh.gif

Given that, what is the correct "...the same month & year..."???? confused24.gif

Is it only my 914's 9/72 build date, or a range which encompasses a period when the recall changes were made, since apparently the first batches up to 12/72 were shipped with the Fuchs lacking the inset to fit the self-centering hubs new in 73????? confused24.gif confused24.gif
MDG
I could be wrong here, but . . . I don't think the 4 lug Fuchs had any kind of 'evolution' throughout the production run. Unlike the 5 lug Fuchs where you have mulitple sizes and finishes.

Personally, if you're getting your car back to correct and the Fuchs belong on it - as opposed to say the Mahles - I'd find the cleanest set I could regardless of whether they originally came from a '73, '74, '75 or '76.

And as mentioned above, steer clear of that American Eagle copy - looks similar but NOT the same.

m.
Pat Garvey
First, I've never heard of a 914 Fuchs recall, but I'm not perfect.

Second, I'll redo the post I made long time ago about my late '72.

Ordered my 914 in May of 72. Camein in July - "914S's" were already there.

My 914, with app grp, came in with 4 1/2 incher steelies, which was wrong. Dealer said I could "swap" with some Fuchs from an "S". Sorry folks, but at the time I hated those wheels! So, the dealer offered me a Bursch exhaust system (which ate up my rear snowplow), and an option for the proper wheels & tires when they were available(which was a nice thing). About six months later the dealer called & told me that they had the proper 5 1/2 steelies & Continental tires to match. Still have the original spare. Good dealer - too bad he isn't around anymore.

Regardless, I, personally, have NEVER heard of a Fuchs recall. Not for the 914 or 911.

Would be interessed in knowing more about it.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 3 2009, 06:28 PM) *

First, I've never heard of a 914 Fuchs recall, but I'm not perfect.

Second, I'll redo the post I made long time ago about my late '72.

Ordered my 914 in May of 72. Camein in July - "914S's" were already there.

My 914, with app grp, came in with 4 1/2 incher steelies, which was wrong. Dealer said I could "swap" with some Fuchs from an "S". Sorry folks, but at the time I hated those wheels! So, the dealer offered me a Bursch exhaust system (which ate up my rear snowplow), and an option for the proper wheels & tires when they were available(which was a nice thing). About six months later the dealer called & told me that they had the proper 5 1/2 steelies & Continental tires to match. Still have the original spare. Good dealer - too bad he isn't around anymore.

Regardless, I, personally, have NEVER heard of a Fuchs recall. Not for the 914 or 911.

Would be interessed in knowing more about it.
Pat

Pat, just click on the link below, scroll to near the bottom & you'll see both 914 Alloy wheels recalls (the last one is the HO Recall on battery & fuel lines).
poke.gif ...put on your glasses... type.gif ...go there now..... poke.gif ...I've already posted it above too.... huh.gif biggrin.gif

The BO & BH Recalls are at the bottom of the link below, & the links in the right column go to scanned pages of th deal letters.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Recalls.htm

BO applies to the Fuchs 2L Alloys on 2.0's like mine (VIN...1954), BH to the M485 option's alloys - Pedrini & 4-lug Mahles I think (& for far less cars).

If you read the very legible scans of the recall letters & instructions from VW America/Porsche+Audi, it gives all the details (they're the numbers linked in the right hand box/column under each recall. These are "the real thing" on recalls from PAG/VWA on all models & MY 914's, & contain all of the details which the dealers are supposed to know.

FYI All - Both recalls below were caused by the wheel manufacturers NOT machining the little inset ring around the inside of the center hole where the hub fits, & the "new for 1973 MY" self-centering hubs (front only) ring is supposed to fit into that inset or groove (maybe a spec error &/or communication breakdown between PAG/VW & the wheel makers). As noted in that info., the proper wheel part no. ends in -01, while the wrong one ends in -00 for all types of wheels.

The problem was that the "wrong" -00 wheels won't seat properly on the front hubs, due to the self-centering lip sticking up & holding the base of the wheel off of the face of the hub - very dangerous, esp. on your steering wheels! driving.gif driving-girl.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif

Here is an example of the proper backside bootyshake.gif of the Fuchs -01 & others are similar:

Click to view attachment

(I also posted this here before) huh.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 3 2009, 10:49 PM) *

BO applies to the Fuchs 2L Alloys on 2.0's like mine (VIN...1954)

Odd that the accompanying photo in that link for this BO recall shows a Pedrini and not a Fuchs.
ME733
unsure.gif Well, I do not know if this is of any help...BUT...My 914 is also ...a 914 S...with a chassis number that is 300 production numbers EARLIER than yours. I have the original spare ..FUCHS..wheel ..and the original ..FUCHS...wheel set..(4) on the ground....They are O.E.M. fuchs...and have a BLACK BACKGROUND...the spare does not.....the hubs,spindles,or the rims are....NOT...NOT...NOT... specialized "HUB CENTRIC"...and are DEAD FLAT across the back at the bolt circle,mounting, flange.and have NO RAISED area in the center (apparently as you say making them hub centric). None of the MAHLE wheel sets I have have a raised hub centric center eighter......all of these wheels were available, when the 1973 S, 1973 cars were produced....I THINK. I agree the recall appears to relate to Pedrini wheels that may/could have been fitted/by a DEALERSHIP with a pedrini inventory/and installed as per customer request for an upgraded wheel set..... bye1.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jul 4 2009, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 3 2009, 10:49 PM) *

BO applies to the Fuchs 2L Alloys on 2.0's like mine (VIN...1954)

Odd that the accompanying photo in that link for this BO recall shows a Pedrini and not a Fuchs.

That photo may have just been what Jeff Bowlsby found &/or put it under BO instead of BH. In any case, it's only showing the green paint dot on the lugs showing that BO/BH was done on the car (not the backside part no. & inset which shows on the pic I posted of the Fuchs 2L wheel), & that part was the same for both recalls.

Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jul 4 2009, 11:11 AM) *

unsure.gif Well, I do not know if this is of any help...BUT...My 914 is also ...a 914 S...with a chassis number that is 300 production numbers EARLIER than yours. I have the original spare ..FUCHS..wheel ..and the original ..FUCHS...wheel set..(4) on the ground....They are O.E.M. fuchs...and have a BLACK BACKGROUND...the spare does not.....the hubs,spindles,or the rims are....NOT...NOT...NOT... specialized "HUB CENTRIC"...and are DEAD FLAT across the back at the bolt circle,mounting, flange.and have NO RAISED area in the center (apparently as you say making them hub centric). None of the MAHLE wheel sets I have have a raised hub centric center eighter......all of these wheels were available, when the 1973 S, 1973 cars were produced....I THINK. I agree the recall appears to relate to Pedrini wheels that may/could have been fitted/by a DEALERSHIP with a pedrini inventory/and installed as per customer request for an upgraded wheel set..... bye1.gif

NOPE - read the letters to the dealers type.gif ....BO Recall is specific to the 2.0 cars & their special "new" Fuchs 2.0 "Lightweight Forged Alloy Wheels" on VINs 473-29-0021 - ...8173 - but NOT on all 2L cars.

There are some other possible explanations for your situation.

The recall letter requires the dealers to inspect the 2L 914s to determine whether or not they had non hub-centric/self-centering front hubs, or if it has the older pre-73 MY ones - such as yours apparently had/has - then they did NOT change out the wheels.

Furthermore, it is NOT that they ran out by a particular VIN, because they mixed them in with the older ones, then were grabbing whatever at hand & put them on both 1.7s & 2L 914s, but the 1.7s apparently all had hub-centric steelies on all (since there is no recall for them). So they had to use an extended run of VINs up until the time that all of the non-hub-centric/self-centering hubs had been depleted, & left it to the dealers to determine which 73 2Ls had the problem.

Moreover, if you didn't buy it new yourself, &/or you or your mechanic changed out your disks/hubs at some point - which most have done by this point in time - then they could have used the older style part as well, or the dealer could possibly have elected to back date the hubs rather than update the Alloys - perhaps at buyer request, not wanting to wait for the proper wheels!?

Mine had & still has the "new style" self-centering hub centric front hubs since I bought it in 12/75, & they had NOT been changed by the PO/OO before then, but my Porsche 914 Factory Trained Mechanic Hans did so with the same hub-centric type within a year or two after that, after the disks had been turned down to the minimums.

BTW - the black paint backgrounds is a non-OE finish, which was a satin or matte anodized background with a semi-polished (not fully polished) at the 4 windmill blades & rims - which it sounds like your spare is still OE. ...and lucky you to have all 5! smile.gif

Out of curiosity, what it the mfgr date (by VW logo) on the back of your Fuchs alloys? confused24.gif

But Thanx for the input anyway! smile.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.