Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difference between 901 and VW transaxles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I'm in the process of dropping a Rover 3.5 V8 into my 914, for which I need the Kennedy adapter. I've got a line on a killer deal for a Kennedy adapter to a VW[b] transaxle. Problem is, neither of us know if it'll fit up with the 901. Anybody got a clue?

Tom
VaccaRabite
The engine to trans mount is the same, but there may be differences with the flywheel. My guess is that it would work, but you may need to use a VW flywheel.

Zach
r_towle
Well,
You can bolt a type 4 motor up to a beetle and bus tranny.
The flywheels end up being different and the clutch PP are different.

If you end up with a kennedy adapter plate, call them to get the rest of the parts.

Rich
Mark Henry
The flywheel ring gear sits in way further on a 901 then the VW.
So...the flywheel is no good or needs modification to work.
orange914
how long would a vw transaxle last behind a 3.5?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 4 2009, 02:00 PM) *

The flywheel ring gear sits in way further on a 901 then the VW.
So...the flywheel is no good or needs modification to work.

Well I guess this makes 4 different answers

No problem at all. It will work fine. The VW adapter will have a older 200mm clutch. This maybe a plus for a lower HP conversion because you can replace the clutch and pressure plate way cheaper than the newer Porsche Kennedey 9" stuff.The 9" clutches and PP are almost $400 and you can get the 200mm clutch and pp from $100 to$125 from all of the VW places. I have used both 9" and 200mm and they both slip when you start to make some real horsepower.

Bob

Al Meredith
Chuck Beck told me that a 6cyl or 8 cyl motor is easier on the transmission than a 4. He uses VW tranmissions on the speedster and spyder kits.
Cheapsnake
Kinda what I was thinking. It'll work - but...
As long as the general fit-up is good I can work my way through the rest of the PP and FW stuff. I'm planning on around 200HP out of the 3.5. Bob, is that what you'd consider "real" horsepower? If so, would I be better off with the 9" Kennedy clutch? Thanks guys.

Tom
kyracedog
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Jul 4 2009, 05:19 AM) *

I'm in the process of dropping a Rover 3.5 V8 into my 914, for which I need the Kennedy adapter. I've got a line on a killer deal for a Kennedy adapter to a VW[b] transaxle. Problem is, neither of us know if it'll fit up with the 901. Anybody got a clue?

Tom

I have an old style Renegade adapter for 901 to Chevy.
this was the type that uses the 200mm clutch and pp.
Want a good deal on this? You can get the flywheel and and pp and disc from Kennedy.

Send email to ky911sc@insightbb.com if interested.

Dan
rascobo
There may be one problem with using the old 200mm Kennedy set-up (adapter plate, modified VW flywheel, clutch pack & modified throw-out bearing) and that's the modified throw-out bearing. Kennedy informed me last year that the modified bearing was no longer available and when mine failed I'd have to upgrade to the nine inch. package and Porsche flywheel. You might want to check with them to confirm this.
charliew
Seems like the guys at kennedy told me that the 9 inch expensive stuff was good to 375 ft lbs. For 200 hp the vw stuff will probably work depending on the tire width.

No most guys doing conversions don't consider 200hp real hp but it will be reliable and fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.