Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Console Heater Defrost Lever ( SOLD )
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hi : I just recieved and posted on E -BAY , item # 120444030741 a all most

concour Heater Defrost Lever. Perfect for a show car. or a C W with a little work.

No pictures here , because I can't figure out how, but can E-Bay. Take a look

if your interested.

Pat: If this is in the wrong area, please move to the right one.

Dave slap.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jul 4 2009, 01:47 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Hi : I just recieved and posted on E -BAY , item # 120444030741 a all most

concour Heater Defrost Lever. Perfect for a show car. or a C W with a little work.

No pictures here , because I can't figure out how, but can E-Bay. Take a look

if your interested.

Pat: If this is in the wrong area, please move to the right one.

Dave slap.gif

I need one & want one - how much? & shipping to 92867?

Tom T
Orange CA
///////
sixerdon
Tom T & Dave, be careful. You both need to know that this is not correct for "all" 914's. Especially you, Tom. Do your homework on this. My sources say this is not for early '73's such as yours. Just thought I would help avoid a disappointment with both parties.
Don
Tom_T
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 4 2009, 05:37 PM) *

Tom T & Dave, be careful. You both need to know that this is not correct for "all" 914's. Especially you, Tom. Do your homework on this. My sources say this is not for early '73's such as yours. Just thought I would help avoid a disappointment with both parties.
Don

What's the difference Don & where do I find info on it???

Mine had the center console stripped by the dealer (along with fogs & Fuchs), so I rechecked & I have a straight lever, but understood that all with consoles needs the crooked-handle type to fit the console's slot? confused24.gif

Is there another type for on early consoles??

....if so, may explain why mine is straight? idea.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hay : Don it came from a 73. Are you refering to the tab for the heat defrost light . If so it is on the other side of the lever . The picture is 1 of the 2 in the add check it out it shows the other side. Dave slap.gif
MDG
You've got it backwards, Tom. The straight lever like the one in the photo is for a '73-'76 console. The ones with the bend in them are for non-console cars.

m.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

If what Don , was talking about is that tab for the wire its on the other side , of the lever on

the white plastic part. Tom, Mark it as sold, Right? Dave
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jul 4 2009, 06:41 PM) *

You've got it backwards, Tom. The straight lever like the one in the photo is for a '73-'76 console. The ones with the bend in them are for non-console cars.

m.

That's bass-ackwards from what I've always heard, & the Paternie 914 book shows the angled one as correct for the console in order to clear over to the slot in the console's floors????? confused24.gif
Tom_T
Okay folks - here's the straight lever & round red knob which has been on since 12/75, after the dealer selling to PO/OO had stripped out the center console, fog lights/switch & Fuchs for them! dry.gif

BTW - that's 24+ years of dust - NOT rust, so it will clean up to perfect condition! smile.gif

According to Paternie's "How to Restore & Modify Your Porsche 914 & 914/6", the one Dave has is correct for my early-73 914-2L VIN.....1954.

So, what's correct knob & lever???? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
....and here's a pic of an OE console in an earlier 73 914-2L VIN....1102 & same 9/72 build date as mine with the round knob!

- but I cannot see if lever is straight or angled on either?

as opposed to a squarish one on earlier cars - Pat Garvey, please confirm on your 72? confused24.gif

73 914-2L VIN...1102 Console & Lever:

Click to view attachment

Another 73 2L

Click to view attachment

Third 73 2L

Click to view attachment

all 3 appear to have rounded-tapered & round-top red knobs, but angled or straight lever unknown????
MDG
I am referring to the chrome shaft. The straight lever sildes up through the slot in the console, you screw on the red knob and the lever basically toggles straight back and forth.

The ones with the bend in that shaft are designed so when pushed to the forward OFF position it lays flat down against the carpeted tunnel. One with the bend in it will not go up through the slot in the console.

Oh, and that pic you posted showing the lever pushed forward and down against your carpeted tunnel? That is not a straight lever as posted in that original photo. If it was it would be sticking up and forward at around 65 degrees.

Trust me, both cars I own have consoles, both have the straight lever. The photo at the bottom of page 56 of the Paternie book clearly shows this.
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 5 2009, 05:13 PM) *

you can clearly see the bend in the shaft allowing it to flatten down against the carpeted tunnel. If you are going to put in a console you need one like the pic in the Ebay ad in the original post
MDG
Tom, the simple way to see the difference is download a copy of George's catalogue if you haven't already - great reference tool BTW. Page 79 shows the 2 levers used in 914's. The straight shaft for the console cars, the bent shaft used in the non-console cars (like the one in your pic).

George also show a bent shaft for '72 with 'Defrost Emblem'; Pat or George may weigh in and explain that one. Was there something unique for '72 with the lever and defrost emblem confused24.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Jul 4 2009, 07:41 PM) *

m.

Agree. Bent lever , no console (of course) for my 72 914. Now, this is where it gets interesting. My 72 914 has a bend, as well as the knob pictured. My 73 T (a late year model, w/CIS) has the same knob, but a straight lever. Both cars are original. These are both push-on, not screw on.

Oh, the Porsche spooks strike again!
Pat
MDG
Ha! If I have waited 5 minutes for Pat to post that pic I would have had my answer to the "unique for '72" lever in George's catalogue. I guess the knob on the '72s with the printing on them is in lieu of the lighted on/off box? Do the '72s not have them - can't tell from Pat's photo.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 4 2009, 02:46 PM) *

Okay All Y'all -

I've looked at uncle georgie's catalog pp. 76, and this above looks like the #1 for the console part #U914 424 073 02.

It appears that the lazy-Zee bend back over the mount is the "angle" shown on Paternie pp. 56 & above & at AA's parts catalog, & those straight up from the mount (no angle back to the left) is non-console.

Are we confusing in this discussion - the "bend-over" angle bootyshake.gif (sorry - couldn't resist) front to back on the lever in the same plane as the lever moves front to back; - with the bend to the left, then bend back vertical perpendicular to the travel of the lever? confused24.gif blink.gif huh.gif confused24.gif

I think this "angle" thing has everybody going off in opposite directions! idea.gif

I'd have to skinny into mine again to see if it has that fold over "flat Z bend" like the above, but I don't think so. I may try before it gets dark.
sixerdon
Now, "Authenticity" suggests that the '72 knob was carried over to "early '73. The question now becomes,..... if it did, how early?
Thanks for showing the alternate knob, Pat.
Don
MDG
Tom, as I said, I am talking about the 'shaft' of the lever - straight for console; bent for non-console.

The straight console lever is offset near it's base; I believe this offset is what you are referring to as a 'bend'. If you look near the mount of the straight console lever, the offset is there so it lines up with the slot in the console.

I am 99.9% certain there are no early or late versions of this; if the car came with a console it came with this lever. 1973. 1974. 1975. 1976.
Tom_T
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 5 2009, 08:03 PM) *

Now, "Authenticity" suggests that the '72 knob was carried over to "early '73. The question now becomes,..... if it did, how early?
Thanks for showing the alternate knob, Pat.
Don

My current knob & the first console example which I posted above which is same build month but 852 before mine (200+/- 2.0s prior) both are not as per Pat's & AA catalog lists 72 MY only. So they were back to the round screw on style by Sept. 72. If there was a carry-over, it stopped before my #1954 & before #1102.

After rereading these posts - I'm sure this above "angle/bend discussion" is a confusion of terms between the "sweeping bend" which you see when looking at the flat face of the lever; and the 2 x 90 degree angle bends up-to-left then back left-to-up when looking at the thin end of the lever.

For clarification, when I said "angled lever" above in all cases - I was referring to the latter. I wasn't even thinking of nor really noticing that the console style one goes straight up thru the console's slot in the bottom panel.
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jul 5 2009, 08:17 PM) *

Tom, as I said, I am talking about the 'shaft' of the lever - straight for console; bent for non-console.

The straight console lever is offset near it's base; I believe this offset is what you are referring to as a 'bend'. If you look near the mount of the straight console lever, the offset is there so it lines up with the slot in the console.

I am 99.9% certain there are no early or late versions of this; if the car came with a console it came with this lever. 1973. 1974. 1975. 1976.

That's what I thought & meant.

Mine "HAD" a console, which was removed & a standard lever (non-console), tunnel carpet & leather shifter boot put in it's place. All the elec. connectors, holes & nylon mounting bracket screws" receivers & holes are still there though!

At one time I used the ones under the dash for the top console bracket to mount a CB radio back in the day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.