Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are these valves bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Rich,
I tried to add a pic in a p.m I sent you but could not do it. Can anyone tell me if looking at this pic there is an indication if the valves are burned or bad?The car has low compression and is near impossible to tune.The pic is of cylinders 1 and 2. Thanks.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Unless there's a wedge shaped hole where the valve is burned through, there's not much you can tell without removing the valves and measuring them, as well as making a visual inspection of the seating pattern. Odds are, if they have a lot of miles on 'em, the stems are worn. The intakes may be able to be ground, the exhausts are pretty much throwaways. You seem to have a bit of an oiling problem on one cylinder, and a head leak on the left. Until they're cleaned and carefully inspected for cracks, these heads are a big question mark.

The Cap'n
JOE M
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 5 2009, 10:05 AM) *

Unless there's a wedge shaped hole where the valve is burned through, there's not much you can tell without removing the valves and measuring them, as well as making a visual inspection of the seating pattern. Odds are, if they have a lot of miles on 'em, the stems are worn. The intakes may be able to be ground, the exhausts are pretty much throwaways. You seem to have a bit of an oiling problem on one cylinder, and a head leak on the left. Until they're cleaned and carefully inspected for cracks, these heads are a big question mark.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap`n
How difficult is it to remove the heads without dropping the engine.Right now I have the head out as far as it can go. Its hits the wheel well and cant go any further.Can the head studs be removed to clear or do I have to drop the engine?
IronHillRestorations
Pull the engine, you'll spend less time doing the repair than trying to do it with the engine still in the car.
JOE M
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 5 2009, 10:26 AM) *

Pull the engine, you'll spend less time doing the repair than trying to do it with the engine still in the car.

I hear you but I never pulled the engine before. It like taking my first step a Little scarry but also an adventure.Serious Rich gave me an easy procedure for pulling it but I just did not have the time to do it. I was hoping that I could get the head off without pulling it.But I think Ineed to pull the other head to so I guess I will have to dive in.
Thanks
ericread
QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 5 2009, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 5 2009, 10:26 AM) *

I hear you but I never pulled the engine before. It like taking my first step a Little scarry but also an adventure.Serious Rich gave me an easy procedure for pulling it but I just did not have the time to do it. I was hoping that I could get the head off without pulling it.But I think Ineed to pull the other head to so I guess I will have to dive in.
Thanks

I really dived into the engine maintenance of my teener for the first time last summer. I agree that pulling the engine is a tad scary. However, it really is a lot easier than it first seems. Just remember, if you get into a bind, post your problems and pictures here. There are a ton of people out there that will provide expert advice.

Eric
McMark
How To Drop Your Engine

Do it. You'll be surprised, pleased, and you'll know an important part of owning a teener.
ConeDodger
Judging by your pictures, you have already put more work into this than it would take to remove the engine...
JOE M
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 5 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Judging by your pictures, you have already put more work into this than it would take to remove the engine...

I dont know how long it takes to drop the engine but I got this far in a little over an hour. It took longer to get the damn tins off than anything. What a crappy design.
blitZ
QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 5 2009, 02:43 PM) *

I dont know how long it takes to drop the engine but I got this far in a little over an hour. It took longer to get the damn tins off than anything. What a crappy design.

I don't think the engine was designed to be dismantled while in the car. Dropping the engine is fairly simple, I like the furniture dolly method. You'll want to have it out to do a general cleanup. It's amazing how much crap can collect in the cylinder fins.

Go for it.
r_towle

Tins are not designed to come off with the motor IN THE CAR.

So, you drop the motor.
Its really quite simple.

Do you have a floor dolly?
If you do, and two floor jacks, I will come over after work one of these nights. We can drop in in less than a hour...simple.

rIch
SirAndy
QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 5 2009, 10:43 AM) *

I dont know how long it takes to drop the engine

Once you've done it a few times, you can do it in 30 minutes or so ...
shades.gif Andy
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 5 2009, 01:35 PM) *

Tins are not designed to come off with the motor IN THE CAR.

So, you drop the motor.
Its really quite simple.

Do you have a floor dolly?
If you do, and two floor jacks, I will come over after work one of these nights. We can drop in in less than a hour...simple.

rIch

I have 2 jacks and will get a floor dolly.What other special tools will I need.I also have jack stands and ramps if that will help.My brother in law has a motorcycle lift/jack. Will that work rather than a floor dolly. If not im on it.
ConeDodger
The problem with the motorcycle jack comes when you try to get the engine out from under the car after lowering it. You either need your jacks and jackstand to go higher or you have to remove the motor from the motorcycle jack and slide it on the floor. Remove your rear valance to give yourself more clearance.
I have seen McMark do this in about 30 minutes. I can do it in an hour or so but I am not trying to make a living at it. Just keep guys like McMark from making a living off of me blink.gif
JOE M
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 5 2009, 02:34 PM) *

The problem with the motorcycle jack comes when you try to get the engine out from under the car after lowering it. You either need your jacks and jackstand to go higher or you have to remove the motor from the motorcycle jack and slide it on the floor. Remove your rear valance to give yourself more clearance.
I have seen McMark do this in about 30 minutes. I can do it in an hour or so but I am not trying to make a living at it. Just keep guys like McMark from making a living off of me blink.gif

I get it it now. After the engine is droped I slide it out with the dolly. You know what Rich told me this a while back. I will try to get a something better than a motorcycle jack.
dangrouche
I highly suggest CHris Foley's engine plate, cost $120 delivered. This is to take the engine and tranny down as a unit. The engine plate is probably the best investment. I am on my second engnie drop in less than 1000 miles. front Galley plug(s). It took me more time to label things than the mechanics of dropping it. the first time it took me about 10 hours; the more recent one took me a few hours. I labeled less stuff.
r_towle
Tell me what you need. I have a few dollies...dont bother getting one...I have a perfect one for this..

Tow jacks, two jack stands...thats it...no ramps.
Give how far you are...30 minutes it will be out.

Rich
r_towle
While you are on it...
Get the shifter rod off.
Remove the clutch cable and the speedo cable...bend gently towards the front of the car and under the car...no kinking.

Pull the throttle cable down below and put it with the clutch cable.

From there...30 minutes and two beers...we are done.

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 5 2009, 04:44 PM) *

While you are on it...
Get the shifter rod off.
Remove the clutch cable and the speedo cable...bend gently towards the front of the car and under the car...no kinking.

Rich

OK Rich I will get the cables out and the shift rod. What kind of beer do you like?Im on this kick where i have been drinking misro brews.But I like any beer. So tomorrow I will get all the cables and linkage off.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 5 2009, 07:35 PM) *

While you are on it...
Get the shifter rod off.

Rich

OK Rich I will get the cables out and the shift rod. What kind of beer do you like?Im on this kick where i have been drinking misro brews.But I like any beer. So tomorrow I will get all the cables and linkage off.

Make sure to disconnect the axles/CV's at the tranny while you are at it, if you have the proper tools...
If you don't have the proper tools, wait on Rich... blink.gif
JOE M
Thats what led me to trying to remove the heads with the engine in. I do not have the proper tools.

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jul 5 2009, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Jul 5 2009, 07:35 PM) *

While you are on it...
Get the shifter rod off.

Rich

Make sure to disconnect the axles/CV's at the tranny while you are at it, if you have the proper tools...
If you don't have the proper tools, wait on Rich... blink.gif

JOE M
Rich
O.K I got all the cables and the shift linkage out.I put some liquid wrench on the transmission mount bolts.They were heavily rusted so I figured it was something that would help. Other than what kind of beer you like ,anything else I need to do? I do not have a dolly.
r_towle
I could do this tomorrow if you want....its supposed to rain on Wednesday...and seeing as you have no roof (hint hint)
Tuesday would be better.

I will bring a dolly, and the tools we need to drop it.
Make sure the carbs are off (to high) and put tape over the manifolds...
Or...I bet you removed all that already...so dont worry...

Remove and cap the fuel lines so we dont get all wet....
thats it...
IDK about the beer...your choice.

Rich
JOE M
Thanks sounds good.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 6 2009, 04:07 PM) *

I could do this tomorrow if you want....its supposed to rain on Wednesday...and seeing as you have no roof (hint hint)
Tuesday would be better.

I will bring a dolly, and the tools we need to drop it.
Make sure the carbs are off (to high) and put tape over the manifolds...
Or...I bet you removed all that already...so dont worry...

Remove and cap the fuel lines so we dont get all wet....
thats it...
IDK about the beer...your choice.

Rich

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.