Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price range for a used 2.0L motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Owner
I have a complete 2.0L motor from a '73 914 that I'm considering selling on ebay and I was wondering what a fair price is for the motor? The motor turns over freely by hand and I have all of the original fuel injection components but the MAP sensor is no longer good and it will definitely need new injectors.

IPB Image
qa1142
I paid $600 for a running engine pulled for a 6 coversion...
ericread
This seems to me to be a really, really tough question. If you were a buyer, I would assume the price would be dependant upon the condition of the heads, compression numbers, and general wear. All of which are difficult to assess in an engine on a pallet. If I buy an engine and the heads are cracked so badly they are unrepairable, then what is the value? Then again, if I buy an engine that fires right up with good compression numbers the value is vastly different.

Seems to me it's a bit of a crap shoot...

Eric
orange914
QUOTE(ericread @ Jul 5 2009, 10:09 AM) *

This seems to me to be a really, really tough question. If you were a buyer, I would assume the price would be dependant upon the condition of the heads, compression numbers, and general wear. All of which are difficult to assess in an engine on a pallet. If I buy an engine and the heads are cracked so badly they are unrepairable, then what is the value? Then again, if I buy an engine that fires right up with good compression numbers the value is vastly different.

Seems to me it's a bit of a crap shoot...

Eric

like eric said being unknown condition, parted would probably bring you more $ AND be a benifit to the 914 community. i.e. (good) heads, crank, rods, tin, ecu, harness, injectors & f.i. components ect... just my o2
sww914
I recently paid $300.00 for a 2.0 with water in the cylinders, taken apart, with no induction or exhaust. I feel it was a good deal.
scottb
i had a strong running 2.0L pulled for an engine swap, on the market and got some action at $1k, but some lowballs at around $400 for the entire motor with brain, injection ready to go (no exhaust, decent leak down #'s). still sitting in the garage under storage and will likely part it this summer and ebay the whole thing.... seems like an easier way to get what the motor is worth.....
Todd Enlund
I've paid $300 for a 2.0 core with no induction, and $400 for one with 40 IDFs. On teardown, I found that the $400 core had a trashed head.

I agree with the others... you'll do better parting it out.
computers4kids
Unless you can provide some assurance/history/real numbers for a prospective buyer, value as an "engine" is very limited. Couple years ago running basic stock 2ltrs were fetching 1K-1500. However, in the last 6 months I've seen more 2ltr motors for sale...cheap.

Parting will probably bring more, if you're up to the investment of breaking the motor down, and all the time it takes to market, sell and ship those parts.

If it was me, I would go for the quick sale and not look back. $500 as is
Joe Bob
$500 max unless you have some history. It's a core until proven otherwise....
Cheapsnake
Part it out. I had a rebuilt 2.0 out of my project car that I couldn't give away, mainly, I suppose because it had no history and the buyer couldn't see/hear it run. Ended up parting it out for close to $800 and I still have parts left over. Oh yeah, and it vastly simplifies shipping.

Tom
r_towle
Its a core motor.
A core 356 motor is 1k-2k...depending upon what type.
A rebuilt 356 motor is 10k.

So, if a rebuilt type 4 2.0 liter is 5k
A core is 500 bucks max.

Rich
JRust
I sold a complete 2.0 drivetrian out of a 73 for $1300. It was a good running motor I had driven before. It was good deal I thought as it was a turn key motor. It sold quickly so that must mean something.

As was said above probably $500 is max without more info on it. Unless it's parted out that is. In which case you will get more probably. Your other issue will be shipping from Canada. Trying to ship the whole motor will most likely be cost prohibitive. Best of luck however you go smile.gif
914Owner
Thanks for the feedback. I disassembled the top end a few years ago and had the sparkplug holes repaired by installing helicoils but other than that the heads seemed decent with no visible cracks or other visible damage so what would heads like that go for and also the case, crankshaft etc.?
Joe Bob
Unless rebuilt....200-250 for the pair.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 5 2009, 06:19 PM) *

I sold a complete 2.0 drivetrian out of a 73 for $1300. It was a good running motor I had driven before. It was good deal I thought as it was a turn key motor. It sold quickly so that must mean something.

As was said above probably $500 is max without more info on it. Unless it's parted out that is. In which case you will get more probably. Your other issue will be shipping from Canada. Trying to ship the whole motor will most likely be cost prohibitive. Best of luck however you go smile.gif

In your case, I bleieve $500 is what you are looking at for a 2.0L with no history. I sold a 1.8 that had been recently rebuilt by GTX with Wber 40's. It didn't turn over (the weather was probably a contributor) , but it did try to start a few months earlier. I got $600 for it. The buyer later told me he lubricated the P&C's and it started after a dizzy replacement.

Right now, it seems a lot of product for sale is selling slow. Look on ebay and Clist to see what things are going for and what is really being paid. That will tell you a lot.
Scott S
If the leak down numbers on this 2.7 come back good, I will be selling my factory 2.0 from the carbs all the way to the stainless HE's. The only thing that will not go with it will be the MSD and the final muffler. It was built in 96, has just over 10k miles and every single reciept . Even every oil change is documented. If it is only worth 600.00 I will throw it in a lake simply out of spite....
Porcharu
I sold mine (complete with trans) for $1000. Seemed fair to the buyer and seller.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 5 2009, 10:20 PM) *

If the leak down numbers on this 2.7 come back good, I will be selling my factory 2.0 from the carbs all the way to the stainless HE's. The only thing that will not go with it will be the MSD and the final muffler. It was built in 96, has just over 10k miles and every single reciept . Even every oil change is documented. If it is only worth 600.00 I will throw it in a lake simply out of spite....

A $600 engine is a core longblock. Your running, documented, complete engine is worth substantially more...
scottb
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 6 2009, 02:20 AM) *

If it is only worth 600.00 I will throw it in a lake simply out of spite....

i agree..... my pulled 2.0 was running well and complete (except exhaust and trans). just wanted to put in the $5k motor.... and not get hosed on the sale of the old motor....

Project 6
Simple economics.....it will be worth more in the future. Tripping over it can be a pain....
orange914
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jul 7 2009, 06:51 AM) *

Simple economics.....it will be worth more in the future. Tripping over it can be a pain....

are you accounting for 'edit'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.