Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: type IV motor specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rbust
hi folks, I'm new to this computer stuff so bear with me. I've got 1 motor out of my 72 914 -it's definitely 1.8 case Ibuilt it up 20 years ago. The engine #is located near #3.I just acquired 2 type IV motors supposedly out of 79 campers. Engine # on these are located by the oil filler . Haynes says this location indicates 2 liter but my measurements indicate 1.6--66mmx88mm.WTF? Iknow haynes has some terrible flaws lke put #3rod on upsidedown (thats why the guy gave up after 3 rebuilds and sold me the car for$200) but is this engine possible?Haven"t torn the third motor apart yet.A forum at another site says "cb" is a 1.6 this engine #does start with "CB". Any thoughts on this?Why would anyone put a 1.6 in a 79 camper??By the way I lost my old books and am waiting for new ones to be delivered. NO NOT HAYNES! Bently,Muir,any others you guy like.
McMark
All you need to know is here.

EDIT: apparently Tuna had a hardware failure. Try this link temporarily.
914rbust
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 5 2009, 10:02 AM) *

All you need to know is here.

EDIT: apparently Tuna had a hardware failure. Try this link temporarily.

thanks for the link but it didn't answer the ?
Jake Raby
CB= 1700cc Bus spec engine used in 1972

If they are 79 Bus engine's they'll be GE coded and will have hydro lifters.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(914rbust @ Jul 5 2009, 09:35 AM) *

hi folks, I'm new to this computer stuff so bear with me. I've got 1 motor out of my 72 914 -it's definitely 1.8 case Ibuilt it up 20 years ago. The engine #is located near #3.I just acquired 2 type IV motors supposedly out of 79 campers. Engine # on these are located by the oil filler . Haynes says this location indicates 2 liter but my measurements indicate 1.6--66mmx88mm.WTF? Iknow haynes has some terrible flaws lke put #3rod on upsidedown (thats why the guy gave up after 3 rebuilds and sold me the car for$200) but is this engine possible?Haven"t torn the third motor apart yet.A forum at another site says "cb" is a 1.6 this engine #does start with "CB". Any thoughts on this?Why would anyone put a 1.6 in a 79 camper??By the way I lost my old books and am waiting for new ones to be delivered. NO NOT HAYNES! Bently,Muir,any others you guy like.

CB is a 1.7 bus engine, but not from a '79. 66x90. Measure again?
914rbust
Thanks guys !!! My measurements could be off (using tape measure,I know just all Igot at the moment)The other motors are -"EA" &"GD" any thoughts?"GD" is still in 1979 camper. P.S. can I use the 96mm jugs from 1.7 crank with a2.0 crank??
orange914
QUOTE(914rbust @ Jul 5 2009, 11:33 AM) *

Thanks guys !!! My measurements could be off (using tape measure,I know just all Igot at the moment)The other motors are -"EA" &"GD" any thoughts?"GD" is still in 1979 camper. P.S. can I use the 96mm jugs from 1.7 crank with a2.0 crank??

jugs yes, pistons, no, the pin height is different. do you have opened up 1.7 heads or 1.8 or 2.0?
914rbust
Apparently, I now have a set of 1700 's untouched;1800's opened up ,ported &huge valves; &hopefully a set of 2.0's . I say hopefully because it is still in the camper, so what it is ,is still up for grabs since supposedly the 17was 2.0
914rbust
Still nobody recognizes the "EA" &"GD" engine codes? The "CB" info seems to be correct , but still trying to find out what the others are . Both of the "new to me"engines show signs that somebody"been there before. The motor "GD" has what appears to be a temp sensor screwed into one of the shroud screw holes next to the intake (screws into head). Looks like somebody ripped a hole in the shroud to make room for it. I'm going out to tear the sucker apart to see what's inside. other than mud, tranny fluid (yeah, I know, they dumped it in to try unseize it) andother crap since they left the plugs out.
904svo
EA=1700 type 4 engine 1972-1974

GD=2000 type 2 engine 1976-1979

Check out this link.
http://www.type2.com/bartnik/enginecodes.htm
Katmanken
Be aware that bus 2.0's are a lot different than 914 2.0's.

Bus runs lower compression pistons (and lower power)

Bus runs bus 2.0 heads which are a lot less effcient than the 914 2.0 heads (aka apples and oranges different)

Bus heads are usually toast due to overheating from pushing a bus that is the size of a small living room through the air....

The bus cases will need blockage plates to seal the angled oil filler pipe- 914's fill from an oil fill port on top of the engine.

Some of the bus heads run square exhaust ports- not the 914 ovals and the square port exhausts for a 914 don't exist.

Hope this helps.

Ken
914rbust
Thanks folks! This internet stuff is pretty cool. Just got the "GD" engine down to the block and your info matches my measurements. As far as the P&C's go... I don't care about them, they're just for spares . In case I have to do something in a hurry and got no cash. All the heads appear the same. I'd like a set of 914 2.0 heads but... My old set is pretty radical for 20 years ago. basically as much as could be done w/o welding. Maybe I should give some background.bought my first 914 in 85. A 72 that had all the usual rust issues. I spent all my $ on the motor,put it in the car,revved it up ,sidestepped the clutch and sent the floor into the pavement literally breaking the car in half. Hell of a ride.It pulled the throttle wide open and snapped the clutch cable. After that I had a 73 given to me as a junker. Started fixing the hellacious rust . Got new longs, firewall bottoms then got hassled by the man. No "junk cars" they were shooting some movie and they had more clout than me and I came home from a long weekend and they had taken it. Nobody knew where it went and I looked everywhere. Number 3 went down the road after a divorce.Number 4 I bought as a project with my son, his car, that came no motor or tranny and I wasn't able to find one before bankruptcy and forclosure sent that one away.So I've owned 4 but probably driven less than100 miles.Now my son has a 66 based Manx. I bought this camper in excellent shape bodywise for a song and was hoping to get a couple of 2 liter cranks to play with. Alas I only got 1. Anyway, I did get a flywheel that will let me put the 914 motor in the Manx. That should liven it up some. Now I'm looking for a 914 in Central New York area,cheap so I can talk to Jake about a motor for it. Thanks for letting go on and on . I'll shut up for now and promise never to go this long again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.