Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 into 1 header gaskets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Millerwelds
I've got this 4 into 1 header system on my 2.0 FI four. I recently pulled the motor to replace the clutch and install a new trans (thanks Dr. Evil). I bought new gaskets but they are a little too small. I think the ones I got are the correct ones for the head to the down pipe but are too small for the downpipe to header junction. I could get pics of the 'new' gaskets (paper) and the existing ones (metal/paper) if it helps. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
I like to use copper gaskets since they are lifetime products. These can also have the I.D. port matched for better flow through the flanges. I've had good results with these from CIP1:

Copper 2 bolt flange gaskets

Copper 3-bolt flange gasket

Prior to installing them, be sure to heat them up with a torch to anneal the copper to make them soft again. The stamping process makes them hard by cold working the copper, so before each installation you should re-anneal them.
Millerwelds
Looks like a good product.

Thanks drunk.gif
Zundfolge
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 6 2009, 10:47 AM) *

Prior to installing them, be sure to heat them up with a torch to anneal the copper to make them soft again. The stamping process makes them hard by cold working the copper, so before each installation you should re-anneal them.

Any good way to heat them up WITHOUT a torch?

I need to replace my gaskets as well but I don't have a torch.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jul 6 2009, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 6 2009, 10:47 AM) *

Any good way to heat them up WITHOUT a torch?

I need to replace my gaskets as well but I don't have a torch.

A Mapp torch costs maybe $30 at any big box hardware store. They have a ton of uses on a 914. Heck I use mine for starting the grill and lighting cigars. :-)

Thanks for the link on the copper gaskets. I just bought a set. smile.gif

*later Edit* THE COPPER BUG GASKETS DON'T WORK FOR THIS APPLICATION.
The stub to header gaskets:
Standard 911 gaskets from 65-83.
This is what you want, cheap and local from any Porsche dealer *end later edit*

Zach
aircooledtechguy
A simple and cheap propane torch will do the trick Mapp gas even better. I've never tried it, but I would imagine that if you placed a small square of sheet steel on an electric stove top and laid the gasket on top (on HIGH) it would get it glowing red like you need in a minute or so. Then just let it cool on it's own; NO water.
Millerwelds
I did not want to buy random junk just to meet the minimum purchase required by CIP1 so I looked around a bit and found some listed on Evilbay. auction number 200352825170
VaccaRabite
I just got my copper gaskets from CIP1.

They do not fit for this application. You have a EuroRace header.

Damn, I rush shipped those damn things too. I guess I am going to a muffler shop tomorrow to see if I can find new gaskets.

Zach
Millerwelds
Son of a b!tch. I guess some Worth Exhaust Paste is in order.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jul 9 2009, 04:44 PM) *

By modifiying the ears where the bolts go through I was able to get the copper gaskets to work for the stub pipes. It will be a little more of a challenge to make sure they stay in place until they are torqued down, but I am not too concerned.

I took the 4to1 piece to Advance Auto and they were able to pull a gasket out that worked perfect.

Bring the collector to a FLAPS and see what they can do. You might luck out.

Zach
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 10 2009, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jul 9 2009, 04:44 PM) *

By modifiying the ears where the bolts go through I was able to get the copper gaskets to work for the stub pipes. It will be a little more of a challenge to make sure they stay in place until they are torqued down, but I am not too concerned.

I took the 4to1 piece to Advance Auto and they were able to pull a gasket out that worked perfect.

Bring the collector to a FLAPS and see what they can do. You might luck out.

Zach

That is good news. Mine have not arraived yet but I though a little modification may be in order. I am sure I can make them work.

Thanks again
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM) *

That is good news. Mine have not arraived yet but I though a little modification may be in order. I am sure I can make them work.

Thanks again

OKAY!

No part number on the 4to1. But I bet it is a porsche standard gasket too.

I got them in my hands today, and they fit perfect.

Zach
Millerwelds
[/quote]

OKAY!

No part number on the 4to1. But I bet it is a porsche standard gasket too.

I got them in my hands today, and they fit perfect.

Zach
[/quote]

Thanks for the update. I ended up modifying the ears on the copper gasket's I got and they are working well. Fixed my 'pop' on idle and sounds much much better overall. I would guess it was leaking significantly after reusing the paper/metal crush gaskets.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 17 2009, 10:45 PM) *

Thanks for the update. I ended up modifying the ears on the copper gasket's I got and they are working well. Fixed my 'pop' on idle and sounds much much better overall. I would guess it was leaking significantly after reusing the paper/metal crush gaskets.

When I pulled my modded gaskets after running the motor for ~25 minutes, I found that they were leaking all over the place. You may have done better, but mine were NOT sealing, due to it being impossible to get them placed properly and accurately. Also, I found that the copper gaskets were restricting flow a little, unless you hogged yours out to match the ID of the header bores.

You can get the Porsche gaskets cheap from any local dealer, and know that they are right and not etching your headers via hot gas cutting.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.