Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: swap out 1.8 to 2.0 all stock 1974 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tman914
did this swap 1.8 to 2.0 all stock 1974 914 install the fuel pump relays ,check fues's as well add alittle gas down the carb and it runs . I have two gallons of gas in the tank
my fuel pump is not comeing when i trun the key, I jump it out and it comes on but no power to it swap out relay's still no action removed fuel relay and check wire pin 87 at relay and grounded pin 85 wire got 12 volts the book said the pump is bad i dont think this right after jumpimg it out and it came on but did not start when i jump it out .

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
"The book" is for stock 914s. Since you have "a carb", your car is not stock. Did the car ever run with the carb on it?

Make sure you do not have the high-pressure fuel injection pump. It will overwhelm the carb floats and dump fuel all over your engine. Not a good thing. Then you have to figure out how the pump is powered, or figure out how you want it powered. Then wire it up...

Final advice: Take the single-carb setup off the car, and apply a large hammer to it. Once it is nicely flattened, throw it as far away from your car as you can manage. Duals are the only carb setup that should be used on our motors.

--DD
Tman914
ok your right no carb: its the throttle vlave that i put gas down
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Tman914 @ Jul 6 2009, 03:24 AM) *

ok your right no carb: its the throttle vlave that i put gas down

are you still using the 1,8's computer? Are you using the DJet injection that came with the 2,0 engine?

the air/fuel systems are NOT interchangeable. You CAN make one work with the other but it is NOT plug-n-play.

The 1,8's computer needs a signal from the air flow vane (which DJet doesn't have...) to make the fuel pump run.

EXACTLY what parts from which install are you trying to make work?

BTW - this->.<- is a 'period.' Use one once in a while, please...
Tman914
Ya its the DJet injection system that came with the 2.0
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Tman914 @ Jul 6 2009, 12:07 PM) *

Ya its the DJet injection system that came with the 2.0

so you have the MPS and the computer that came with the DJet, and you're using them ?

The wiring harnesses are not plug-compatible, because none of the parts are plug-compatible...
Tman914
yes every thing that came with it MPS D jet computer
VaccaRabite
Dude! Punctuation and grammar are your friends. We want to help, but I had to read your post three times before it made any sense.

Your problem is that the fuel pump does not turn on when you turn the key, right?

Does the engine run otherwise?

By "jump it out" do you mean that you put 12 volts on the pump and it works, but just not when you turn the key?

Does the engine run when you have current flowing to the pump?

Find the color wire diagram for a 73 2.0 and the 1.8. Look at the wiring for the fuel pump and make sure they are the same. I am guessing the wires might be different at the relay board, but I don't know how a 1.8 is wired.

Zach

Tman914
ok Zack sorry about the grammer
Yes the fuel pump does not come on with the key on
when I disconect the wires going to the fuel pump and jump it out adding 12volts to the fuel pump the pump comes on ,then when crank it over and it still wont start but if I manuely add gas to the throttle valve it fire up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.