Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i know thier not fuchs, but...........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
for $100 each these american eagle wheels seem like a pretty good way to replace my stock steel wheels. having a hard time finding the real thing for a decent price.

picture
IPB Image
brant
glstrojan,

I just saw that your location is denver...
I know I'm hijacking your thread... but would you mind posting your name...

we have a little denver group going if your interested.

brant
Mueller
real Fuchs are normally $400 per set of 4.......you'd also save about 5 pounds per wheel and have wheels that are the real deal......
TROJANMAN
where have u seen them for $400 a set? i haven't had any luck with anything below $600
Targa
Don't waste your time. You will get what you pay for. The car will handle better, accelerate and stop faster with Real Fuchs Promise! Cast wheels Suck! Forged wheels Rock aktion035.gif
Gint
where have u seen them for $400 a set? i haven't had any luck with anything below $600

That's 'cause the locals think they're made of gold or something. Local prices on Fuchs in the Denver area are almost always high.

Go sign up for the local email list. You can find a link on my web page (in my sig).

Welcome to the board BTW.
anthony
I just hate the plastic center caps on the fake Fuchs. I don't understand why they didn't make them compatible with the OEM center caps.

That's 'cause the locals think they're made of gold or something. Local prices on Fuchs in the Denver area are almost always high.

I think it all depends on condition and what tires you may or may not be getting with them. I'd gladly pay $600 for a mint set with non-dented center caps. New center caps alone cost $120.
Scott S
I sold four real fuchs that were fully polished and had near perfect centers to Tommy in MS for 350.00 plus shipping - but thats because that was exactly what I paid for my 7 and 8" 5 bolt wheels.
I thought that was fair.
East coaster
Here's a new set of fakies, 2 w/tires for probably less than 4 bills,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2464131408
Qarl
Talk to this guy...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=121465

I sold him some wheels and met with him. Nice fellow... pretty wheels and worth the coin!
seanery
I will have some nice fake fuchs for sale soon. They are being replace with 16x6 fuchs.
rhodyguy
ask what the back spacing is. they, fakes, may not be compatible with wider tires. i agree with looking around. i think i let a set of 4 that were ok go for $200 last summer. $100 a piece for some good singles. i was money ahead, not getting top $, as opposed to them sitting in the rafters in the garage. you will need longer lugs for the mags if you now have steel wheels.

kevin
carreraguy
I would like to get a nice set of original 15" Fuchs (4 lug) for my car to replace the American Eagle "Empi" wheels I have now; I can't get a wide enough tire on them.

Anyone have a real nice set they are willing to sell me or can someone point me in the right direction? I have been looking on eBay but all the ones I see are pretty much beaten up.
boxstr
I just sold a set of four real 2.0 Fuchs $400. Local buyer helps.
CCLINFUCHU
EdwardBlume
Yeah, get the real deal. There's plenty around and they seem to hold up pretty good.
John2kx
Sold my set last year for $600. Professionally polished with new lugs and center caps. Fair set of tires mounted and ready to bolt on and go.

Paid $300 for the polishing, about $150 for the lugs and $100 for center caps.

John
rhodyguy
wow john. all of that for $600 was a great deal. not much profit on your end. shipping w/ tires would be spendy tho.

kevin
mikester
I've bought two sets off of ebay. Both were local and both were under $350. I had to buy a second set due to a nasty pot hole cracking two of my first set. They weren't "shiney" when I bought them but spending about an hour on each one to clean them up and they were looking like brand new.

You just have to really watch eBay for the "good deal" or it'll go right by. I was checking twice daily and watching a lot. The really nice looking ones do get up there but really you should be able to get a fair set for $400. Polish them up yourself or send them to a shop - it's worth the extra bucks to put on some nice tyres and save a few pounds.
John2kx
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2004, 05:51 AM)
wow john. all of that for $600 was a great deal. not much profit on your end. shipping w/ tires would be spendy tho.

kevin

My Fuch restoration adventure was far from profitable considering the time and money I invested trying to do them myself prior to turning over to a pro.

I read several articles about polishing and attempted the job myself. Bought a good polishing kit, electric tools that turned the right rpm and spent about 30 hours labor per wheel with less than satisfactory results. The local shop I dealt with had better tools and the experience needed to turn out a better product.

If I added up the cost of having tires dismounted, remounted, balancing, tools, polishing compounds, extra buffing wheels (not to mention huge mess created in my shop), plus what I mentioned in previous post, I would guess I had over $1000 to achieve the final results. This was a local sale so there were no shipping costs.

To answer the original question, I prefer original porsche wheels over any aftermarket wheel out there. I'm in the air about which Fuch look better......4 lug vs. 5 lug, but I needed the extra wheel width for my v8 car and reason for swap.

John
John2kx
for comparison
rhodyguy
so it only cost YOU $400 and all YOUR time to sell em. laugh.gif headbang.gif

kevin
John2kx
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2004, 07:14 AM)
so it only cost YOU $400 and all YOUR time to sell em. laugh.gif headbang.gif

kevin

My math comes up with $1000 to get this look not to mention no recoup from the wheels that were already on car. Hard to find a value on that one but if you figure a decent set of used wheels cost $400, I would have been in for $1400.

If I were to do this all over again, I'd sent my wheels straight to the pro shop. You'll end up with about $300 for polishing, and don't forget a new set of lugs/center caps. Your "decent" set of lugs/caps will look like shit up against polished german metal.

You might also want to contact Rich Johnson. He supplied me with the 5 lug Fuchs now on my car, ready to bolt on and may have a lead on some 4 lugs.

My opinion is that wheels really make a car, especially the 914. Know the look your after and don't settle because something is not available right away. Pay a pro if you want the polished or original look........you'll be $$$$, blood, sweat and tears ahead. The cheaper alternatives are just that.

John
rhodyguy
ok. so the figure is closer to $800 when you figure the value of the unfinnished wheels. wacko.gif . i'm glad i sold mine when i did.

kevin
Mueller
I've got one good real 4lug fuch if interested....
PM me and I'll make you a killer deal to get you started on your way..............
rhodyguy
red914 needs one bad, REAL BAD!!!

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.