Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need suggestions on timing light and
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
dwell meter and torque wrenchs and multi meter ?? brands/model numbers

i gotta start adding some important tools to my tool collection.

thanks jim
yeahmag
Bang for the buck I've liked my Craftsman Torque Wrenches (I have all 3 - 1/2" & 3/8" foot pound and a 3/8" inch pound wrench) and their adjustable timing light(s). I have some funky old tach/dwell meter that I don't really like...

-Aaron
tat2dphreak
I have a couple of Craftsman Toque wrenches as well.. one I cannot stand tho. one is fine, you can feel/hear when the toque is reached, the other doesn't give a strong enough signal... could be personal preference tho. I also have a Harbor Freight Torque wrench... I REALLY like the feel of it much better,(it's the type that cracks over when you reach toque) but I question the accuracy. I've tested it by checking it with the craftsman wrenches and seems fine tho, but I still end up double checking with the craftsman wrench(read: double work).... YMMV greatly with HF tools tho, one might be good, next might be JUNK

jt914-6
Craftsman is hard to beat. Most tools lifetime warranty. I got a timing light not too long ago, #921023, it has an 0-60 degree advance scale.
yeahmag
FYI - Torque Wrenches and electronics do *not* carry a lifetime warranty. Ask me how I know...
jt914-6
Yes, you must ask about the lifetime warranty before you buy. I bought a torque wrench from J C Penny with a lifetime warranty. Somewhere between Arkansas and Utah the head came apart. Couldn't find the bolt that backed off while storing it in the front trunk during the trip. Took it to a J C Penny in Salt Lake and got a new one on the spot without a receipt....
Zundfolge
Craftsman stuff is just fine for most of us. At one time I had a nice SnapOn torque ratchet ... it walked off many years ago and was replaced with the Craftsman that while not as nice, still works well.

I'm fortunate in that I have a SnapOn dealer that lives just two doors down from me biggrin.gif

I'm unfortunate in that I have a very frugal wife.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 6 2009, 01:07 PM) *

dwell meter

I have a Sunpro dwell/tach that has served me well. I bought it new off eBay IIRC.
aircooledtechguy
I recently upgraded my torque wrench to a 3/8 drive Gear Wrench electronic torque wrench (10-100 ft/lbs). I really like it. The same company makes them for Craftsman, Gear Wrench and MAC (possibly others too). Only the handle differs between brands; the business end is the same. I chose an electronic one because if you ever forget to re-set your clicking-type torque wrench back to zero when finished and it sits for days, possibly weeks between uses, they are never accurate again and must be returned to a calibration facility for recalibration. The electric ones work with a strain gauge technology similar to those used on fighter aircraft to record stresses on airframes. This makes the readings accurate w/ no springs to wear/stretch.

I use a Craftsman adjustable advance timing light. I prefer the older type with the simple dial rather than buttons; it's just easier for me to use on the fly.

I either have Compufire ignition modules in my cars OR am running F*rd EDIS so dwell is a thing of the past. I have a multimeter that has that function in it that I use on clients point systems for dwell adjustment.

Borderline
Be careful with the timing light. I bought a cheap unit from Sears (IIRC) with adjustable advance and tacometer and it worked gud. Then I installed a Mallory CD multi-spark ignition and the adjustable advance and tacometer started to work eradically.
Tom
Just a little note on torque wrenches. The cal lab here in the ship yard says to never leave the wrench set for a high torque and also never completely unload the spring. Keep it at 10% when storing. I have followed these rules for 30 years and my torque wrench is still in spec. Cal lab tested and accurate.
Tom
yeahmag
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jul 6 2009, 06:12 PM) *

Be careful with the timing light. I bought a cheap unit from Sears (IIRC) with adjustable advance and tacometer and it worked gud. Then I installed a Mallory CD multi-spark ignition and the adjustable advance and tacometer started to work eradically.

The Mallory will screw it up bellow 3K RPM due to the multiple spark.
mightyohm
I have a Craftsman timing light and dwell meter. Both seem to work ok with my ignition system even though it is multi-spark (MSD). My timing light is the old school analog kind without programmable advance.

I've used the newer kind with programmable advance as well and they don't work at all with the MSD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.