Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Airbox installation is complete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

New tubes really add to the general fresh look to the front trunk. I had to make a bolt to hold the back of the winshield wiper assembly in place, but I got everything bolted up this weekend. Next comes the wiring in the dash I guess.

The wire mess looks a bit overwelming. Any advice is welcome. And yes I know the light switches are out of order

Click to view attachment

racunniff
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 6 2009, 07:50 PM) *

The wire mess looks a bit overwelming. Any advice is welcome. And yes I know the light switches are out of order

Did you label the wires before you removed the harness? Or is this a new harness?

Regardless - my advice on hooking everything back up is "one step at a time." Hook up the fuse panel. And then, one gadget at a time. Identify where you think something should plug in. Ideally, verify your choice with a voltmeter (if you have the switches hooked up). Hook up your gadget. Look/listen/smell for burning wires and blown fuses. Turn the switch on to your gadget. Look/listen/smell for burning wires and blown fuses. Verify proper operation. Move on to the next gadget.

On the "burning wires" front - you should probably have quick access to the 12V battery during all this - so you can quickly disconnect if you start overheating something. I kept mine outside the car hooked up via jumper cables. Most of the wires are *not* fuse-protected (especially grounds) and they can smoke very very quickly.
914Sixer
Work being done the right way !!!!! Very clean and neat. piratenanner.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(racunniff @ Jul 6 2009, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 6 2009, 07:50 PM) *

...my advice on hooking everything back up is "one step at a time."

One more thing - sand all the paint and primer off of all the ground points before attaching ground wires. If you are worried about corrosion, drop a bit of dielectric grease on each one before plugging in the wire.
Cap'n Krusty
Very nice! The factory wiring diagrams are in color, and each terminal on every electrical component is numbered and/or lettered, both in the diagram and on the parts thenselves. Makes it easy! Color diagrams are available on the Pelican Parts website.

Brown is ALWAYS ground, and brown with a stripe is a switched ground. All the rest of the stuff is pretty self explanatory.

The Cap'n
FourBlades
I found that laying out the wiring in the car gives you a general idea what
device the wires should go to. The wires are all about the right length to get
where they need to be without a lot of extra length. Get a color diagram from
Prospero's Garage. It is easier to read than the hanes B&W pictures and it is laminated and sweat proof. I think I got mine on ebay.

Click to view attachment

Here's some tips from an OLDE WORLDE mechanic that I plan to use pretty soon
when I finally hook up a battery to the car.

Put a 3 amp fuse between your battery and the positive wires. That way
the fuse will blow if you have a short instead of cooking your wiring.

Take all the fuses and relays out except the one for the circuit you are debugging.
Add them back one at a time as you work through the systems.

I have nearly all my wiring hooked up so we'll see soon how I did.

John

racunniff
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 6 2009, 08:21 PM) *

Prospero's Garage. It is easier to read than the hanes B&W pictures and it is laminated and sweat proof. I think I got mine on ebay.

Take all the fuses and relays out except the one for the circuit you are debugging.

John

All excellent advice - I wish I had thought of the 3 amp fuse trick!

Note that many of the wiring diagrams are available online - 1974 at Pelican Parts http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm and I've scanned & colorized the 1975 diagram at http://volt914.blogspot.com/2007/07/1975-c...ng-diagram.html (you'll need the Haines manual to make sense of mine, I did not want to scan the *whole* thing because of copyright issues).
watsonrx13
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 6 2009, 09:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

John

John, I've been looking for these large laminated print outs for awhile....

Anyway, here's the link to Prospero's Garage, unfortunately they only have the diagrams from 70-73 for now....

BTW, the installation of the fresh air system looks great.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
aircooledtechguy
Billy, your work is really nice!! You're making good progress. Keep these updates coming popcorn[1].gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

When you get done you will be required to change your screen name , from

"Panel Billy " to Cool 914 Billy.

Great job so far , be proud of it and your work!! Dave slap.gif
Tom
Billy,
That is sure looking nice. Those cool wiring diagrams are sure nice too, too bad I'm color blind! biggrin.gif . But I have had years of experience tracing wires with an ohm meter.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.