Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Hood springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Line everything up and tighted the bolt. The spring slowly gets longer and you slip it in place.
ghuff
Am I the only one who did this by hand with no gloves and had no issue?

Was a little tough sure, but I got them stretched.
Gint
No. It's a mind over matter thing I think. It looks worse than it really is. I had to be talked into the first time I tried it. But afterward it was no big deal.
ghuff
I did have visions of the spring slicing my hand open if it slipped but decided that I really wanted my hood to stay up by itself at the time after I spent too many hours prepping the seal install surface.
PanelBilly
When I was younger the neighbor got his arm caught in the garage open spring. The things have scared me ever since.
EdwardBlume
They are a bee itch thats for sure...
iamchappy
I've never had a problem pulling them on with my bare hands, really it's no big deal, and i'm a wimp.....

I even have mine on the next loop up from yours!
Rand
You need the gloves when you take them off... that's when they pinch. Putting them on takes two seconds.
messix
Billy really likes to play with his tools! lol-2.gif
jmill
I use a cotter key removal tool. I had a few of them. I bent the 90 degree angle more so it formed a U. Hook the end of the spring and yank. It works slick. The first time I tried I didn't have the hook bent over 90. The spring shot off the end. If I had fresh paint I'd be bumming.
r_towle
I too have done these by hand. I suspect that Bill has not SCRATCHED his paint like the rest of us....

Rich
Spoke
Nice tool. Did you make the tool for this purpose or is it for something else?

Your paint job is too nice to try putting the spring on by hand and potentially scratching the paint.
charliew
I use a big spring hook and put a old sock over the spring and just cut the sock off when it's on. I've really never lost a spring yet though. You can get a big spring hook at the hf place. It's a long 1/4 rod with a hook on the end and a cross handle welded on for a handle. It works on lots of spring challenges such as some brake springs.
PanelBilly
Tool was made by a shop that specializes in restoration.
orthobiz
What Spoke said! That tool is cool!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.