Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Linkage Questions/Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtbr_mark
Hey there guys. I'm finishing up a 914-6 conversion (I put a 2.0 6 into a 71). Problem I've got though is with the linkage for my transaxle. I have a sideshift tranny and would like to find out what I need to do for shift linkage. Here are pictures of the firewall end and the tranny end of stuff. I know that you can buy a link from Patrick MS for about 300 but I'd love to find another route if possible. Thanks.

- Mark

SirAndy
I just made a custom shift rod. All you need is sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif ...

shades.gif Andy
Dr Evil
There were other people offering the straightened rod for $100. Thats what I used.
JRust
QUOTE(mtbr_mark @ Jul 7 2009, 12:43 PM) *

Hey there guys. I'm finishing up a 914-6 conversion (I put a 2.0 6 into a 71). Problem I've got though is with the linkage for my transaxle. I have a sideshift tranny and would like to find out what I need to do for shift linkage. Here are pictures of the firewall end and the tranny end of stuff. I know that you can buy a link from Patrick MS for about 300 but I'd love to find another route if possible. Thanks.

- Mark

Hey Mark I am in Corvallis. I know on my 70 I just needed the complete sideshift linkage. Shifter to transaxle & it was fine. I'm not sure if the six requires different pieces though. If you just need the side shift linkage. I have a 76 I'm parting out with the complete setup. Again I'm not sure if the six takes a different setup dry.gif
GeorgeRud
You just need a straight shift rod from the firewall to the shifter console on the transmission. I fabricated one from metric tubing (available through McMaster-Carr), but I imagine any welding shop could simply index the ends of the rod you have cut out the bent portion, and weld in some straight tubing.
Dr Evil
There was a slight angle towards the end of the originals, that is what mine is modeled after.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 7 2009, 03:21 PM) *

I just made a custom shift rod. All you need is sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif ...

shades.gif Andy

I'm 100% okay with fabbing up my own link. The only problem I have is that I don't have the correct end to attach to the sideshifting tranny. The original setup had a tailshift. If you have any good leads on where to pick up the linkage ends that would be great.

- Mark
CliffBraun
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 8 2009, 07:26 AM) *

You just need a straight shift rod from the firewall to the shifter console on the transmission. I fabricated one from metric tubing (available through McMaster-Carr), but I imagine any welding shop could simply index the ends of the rod you have cut out the bent portion, and weld in some straight tubing.

what size tubing did you get and what did you have to do to it?
Cap'n Krusty
In the past I've used the tailshift rod, cutting off the ends and welding the ends of the sideshift rod to the tube. Once you have the correct length established, it's easy. The Cap'n
mtbr_mark
Firewall End

Tranny End

I'm having trouble getting images to attach here. I've posted them online using photobucket but keep getting a message on here saying...

"Sorry, dynamic pages in the [IMG] tags are not allowed"

Anyhow, if you guys want to follow the links above you can see what I have at each end.
McMark
Adding pictures
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.