Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shoot Out practice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
J P Stein
Good practice at the SCCA National Tour event this weekend for the important work of the Shoot Out. Anybody going? Looks like we'll have to run XP as there are no other entries in E Mod....Lessee.....where did I put that 50 lbs of lead? blink.gif
PeeGreen 914

Good luck JP and Britan. I can't afford to make it to that and the shootout. I will be at the shootout though wink.gif
J P Stein
Brit got the win in XP. I sucked as usual.
Neither of us were on our 3 runs & out game and it showed.
The courses were the ..er..least enjoyable of any I have run at Packwood. Saturday's was OK. Sunday's wasn't. It was interupted by 3 areas that didn't
"flow". Cones were scattered to the winds.

Friday we did the "test & tune" and it was a damn good thing we did. The car seemed down on power. A couple nuts on the throttle linkage had worked loose and we were getting maybe 2/3 throttle......oops.
grantsfo
Results: http://www.scca.com/documents/resultfiles/...l%20Results.pdf

Those damn Miatas are fast. I'm alsways battling with the CSP cars here in my FP Boxster with similar luck.
J P Stein
Off the top of my head, there were 10-12 Porsche drivers at that NT. 6 of them trophied......not a bad average, eh.

We needed the work at Packwood. There is a lot of grip there that we left under utilized.

Anybody that says Miatas are girly cars is an idiot....but the women driving them were fast also. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
There is a significant difference in a stock Miata with style bars and a CSP car.

3x the spring rate, 4 times the shock valving, 3 times the tire width, 500 pounds less car. plus 80 more HP.
J P Stein
You know your way around the SCCA site.
Check out the times of the E Stock Miata..
Joe Ricard
That just means the ES Miata driver is Way better than the rest of us.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 14 2009, 10:30 AM) *

That just means the ES Miata driver is Way better than the rest of us.

Stock Miatas on some courses are very potent cars. My Miata was one of few cars that come from factory that didnt have terminal understeer. Body motion was rather ridiculous however. Based on Britain and JP's videos I can see how Miatas rocked that course. It really could be driven with momentum. Shitbox couldnt use its power advantage much.

One thing I will say is I can gobble up Miatas on the big track in fast turns like crazy in race prepped 914 or now the Boxster. Miatas are very twitchy little cars and Porsches just grip and track beautifully. Its always fun when I get a decent Miata driver in front of me who thinks they have a better handling track car in the turns. I love out braking them and taking inside line faster than they can take outside.
6freak
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 14 2009, 08:50 AM) *

You know your way around the SCCA site.
Check out the times of the E Stock Miata..

40 year old car Vs new tech Power brakes ABS Power steering and so on ...Just like the DICK HEAD at Parade that said he could stomp me in hes new turbo Cayman S...but then look at his time slip ....I spanked the puke...whats to compare confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
Funny thing about dick heads in real Porsches. They are normally pretty slow drivers.

Few months back a guy showed up with a Boxster. He was making all kinds of excuses for the car. I convined him to let me take it for a fun run. He was sqealing like a little girl, When we got back to grid I told him there was nothing wrong with the car. I was a few tenths of my time for the day. (in my friends Miata) ......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.